Let’s take this outside. After all, that’s where all the action is, not to mention that dream patio you worked so hard to complete. (Nice going, BTW.) Warm weather makes us want to live outside in our ah-mazing backyard, soak up that summer sun and play some epic yard games. And with so many new games hitting the market, we wanted to take it back old-school style for a bit. These 13 nostalgia-inducing games are fun for friends and family, both young and old. And of course, they’re all DIY ’cause that’s just how we roll. So grab a drink and the fam, or your fun friends (you know who they are), and get ready for a blast from the past in your backyard.
1. DIY Lawn Dominoes: The little tiles that would go tumbling with the slightest touch have gotten a big upgrade. These jumbo dominoes are sure to be a hit at your next outdoor gathering. And because things aren’t always so black and white, feel free to color your tiles whichever way you choose. Rainbow domino set, anyone? (via Iron and Twine)
2. DIY Cornhole Set: Maybe you know it as cornhole or perhaps you’re more of a bag gal. Whatever you call it, this game is a hole in one in the fun department. Make your board the opposite of boring with whatever stain or paint you want. Don’t know about you, but we think this would be the best housewarming gift ever. Hint, hint. (via Brit + Co)
3. DIY Ring Toss Game: Who knew something so simple could be so entertaining? Perfect for all ages, a good game of ring toss has our competitive side come out in full force. Let’s just hope our aim is as good after a few adult lemonades. (via Mom Endeavors)
4. DIY Yard Yahtzee: Who didn’t love playing Yahtzee growing up? These giant, colorful die bring the game to a whole other level. Just be sure you have a cup (or basket!) that’s big enough to shake ’em up. This mama DIYed her game for just five bucks. (via The Pinning Mama)
6. DIY Slip ‘n’ Slide: When we think of backyard nostalgia, we instantly think of a giant slip-and-slide where we spent most of our days (and twisted a few ankles). Make your own water wonderland with some pool noodles, a tarp and, of course, a little imagination. (via Diary of a Preppy Mom)
7. Life-Size Angry Birds: While this one isn’t ’90s-nostalgia status, it will still have us thinking back to that first time we played Angry Birds, over and over and over. This would also be a great game for your kiddo’s next birthday party. (via Kara’s Party Ideas)
8. Outdoor Twister: Don’t get it twisted, because this game is thebomb.com. Making your own Twister board right on the grass allows you to make it as big as you darn well please. The classic board was so limiting, don’t you think? Grab some paint and a bucket, and let the fun times begin. (via SheKnows)
9. Glow-in-the-Dark Water Balloon Fight: Water balloon fights. Been there, tossed that! But what about a nighttime event with glow-in-the-dark balloons? As you pick your jaw up off the grass, we’ll be busy filling the balloons up. Take cover. (via Design Dazzle)
10. Dunk Bucket: Flashbacks to elementary-school fundraisers with Mr. Anderson sitting on the dunk tank are flooding our brains. Take that tank down a notch in size, but not in fun, and create a dunk bucket with just a few household supplies. Who’s up first? (via The Happy Housewife)
11. Giant Pick-Up Sticks: Oh, the concentration. Oh, the fun. A game of pick-up sticks was kinda our thing growing up. But stick with us, ’cause we’re showing you that bigger is totally better. Be warned: In the large size, it’s a tad more challenging to show off to your friends. (via I Heart Nap Time)
13. DIY Hopscotch: Playing on sidewalks can be dangerous, right? So take that classic hopscotch off the streets and into your backyard. The bright, large-and-in-charge pieces will be a favorite of children and adults alike. (via Happiness Is Homemade)
What’s your throwback yard game of choice? Tell us in the comments below.