15 DIY Ideas for Decorating Your Grad Cap
Like a true DIYer, you know how to channel your creativity to help you celebrate your achievements, so crafting your way through graduation is no exception. Sure, it may seem like your decisions are only getting tougher — figuring out whether or not to take a gap year or scouring LinkedIn for the best jobs for a recent grad, for instance — but don’t forget to live for the moment and celebrate your achievements. The best (and most Insta-worthy) way to channel your creativity is by DIYing your graduation cap. Scroll down for inspo that’ll get those creative juices flowing and help you sum up those golden years, all on a pretty, square cap.
1. DIY Graduation Cap Messages: Use printable vinyl to print out a fun, cheeky phrase of your choice. If the phrase “Hire Me” hits a little close to home, just give a shoutout to your mom, for helping you get this far.
(via Studio DIY)
2. Thank Your #1 Supporters: Show how much you appreciate the most supportive parents ever by thanking them publicly on your graduation cap. Whether you showcase your calligraphy skills by turning out this lovely hand-lettered grad cap or opt for fail-safe sticker letters, that’s up to you.
3. No. 1 Valedictorian: Inspired by Chanel, this classy cap upgrades the drab graduation cap into one that’s absolutely fab-u-lous. Go black and white for a classic look or opt for a floral print like this one to stand out amongst the crowd. (via Raine Ferrin / Pinterest)
4. Favorite Pastime: If ‘wine-ing’ made it onto your list of favorite recreational activities, consider seeking inspo from this cap’s clever play on words. With your studies nearly over with, there’s one less thing to keep you from enjoying that celebratory glass.
5. Follow Your Dreams: Henry David Thoreau said it best: “Confidence is key when pursuing your dreams.” Don’t be afraid of the future — embrace it!
6. Potterhead: You’ve stirred up plenty of trouble during your time in Hogw — err, college. Now that it’s coming to an end, pay tribute to the inspiration behind your mischievousness with a grad cap inspired by the infamous Marauders.
7. Future > Past: This C.S. Lewis quote has a special place in your heart — his books pretty much raised you, after all — so pay tribute with a decorated grad cap. If the prospect of finishing school is bittersweet, remind yourself of the “better things ahead” to keep you moving forward.
8. Have Courage: Love all things Disney? Quote the man himself on your grad cap. After all, he has the perfect recipe for making dreams come true: courage + perseverance.
9. Wanderlust: If traveling abroad is a part of your postgrad itinerary, decorate your cap with a map of where you’re headed. It’ll give your peers a major case of #wanderlust envy.
10. Your Own Motto: You’ve worked your butt off through school and it’s finally paid off. Show how proud you are of your well-earned accomplishments by putting a twist on the classic Nike’s motto.
11. Let the Journey Begin: If you’re not sure whether to be excited about your next journey or anxious about getting there, remember that it’s all about perspective: School was only the beginning. Share your positive mindset and sense of adventure with this creative design.
12. Money on My Mind: Every go-getter’s got an end goal. If yours is stacks-on-stacks, make sure your cap says what’s on your mind. Git dat money!
13. Area of Focus: Puns are the best, especially when they can accurately sum up your #studylife. If you’re just as relieved as this graduate was when they finished their Bachelor of Science degree, consider using their punny cap to inspire yours.
14. Cat Lady: Well, a girl can dream. Embrace your love for all things cats with a graduation cap inspired by ‘em. In all seriousness, maybe “cat lady” can be like, a part-time thing.
15. MakeNew Dreams: Channel your favorite Disney princess film and create this #Tangled inspired graduation cap. Use a purple backdrop, glittery gold card stock and floral stickers for a finishing touch.
How will you be remembering your school years on your grad cap? Follow us on Pinterest for more graduation tips and inspo!