Maybe it was the pretty floral cocktails served at girls’ night or your bestie’s wedding cocktail lounge that did you in — either way, hangovers are inevitable. They can have us trying any and every hangover hack in the book. Sometimes, as awful as it sounds, a tough-love sweat session might be just what the body needs.
We teamed up with Reebok‘s “Chief Hangover Officer,” Conor Murphy, to bring you the ultimate hangover workout, designed specifically to undo the damage from the night before. Murphy, a level three-certified CrossFit trainer and former coach at Reebok CrossFit St. Thomas, proves that the gym really is anywhere.
1. 20 Minutes of “Chelsea:” “This is a classic CrossFit benchmark workout that’s been scaled, so there’s no risk of getting sick mid workout. Every minute on the minute, perform five pull-ups, 10 push-ups and 15 air squats. Each round should take between 35-45 seconds. Scale the number of reps from the start if you don’t think you can make that timeframe. If you don’t finish a round in the allotted minute, rest and start back up the following minute.”
2. Interval Rowing + Running: “Grab a friend, partner, perhaps someone you met the night before (judgment-free zone here!) and trade off between a 400-meter row and a 400-meter run. This is not a sprint pace, but after 8-10 rounds, you will be sweating out all of the toxins AND cervezas.”
3. Water workout: “Even if last night’s drinks have your head spinning, you won’t have a problem understanding this workout. It’s simple. It doesn’t matter whether you’re near an ocean, a pool or a pond — just get in the water. Set a distance to swim and do it. If you’re in the ocean, wear a mask and snorkel, and enjoy the environment.”
4. Tabata Something Else: “Any variation of Tabata bodyweight movements — 20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest for eight rounds — will do the trick. For this, think pull-ups, push-ups, sit-ups and air squats. Start with 20 seconds of pull-ups and follow that with 10 seconds of rest before repeating that cycle for seven more rounds. From there, move on to push-ups and move down the list accordingly.
To make the workout extra salty (yes, we’re talking saltier than the rim of last night’s margarita), rest at the bottom of your squat for all eight rounds of the Tabata air squats. We’ve dubbed this “bottom to bottom.’”
5. Lunges and Burpees: “Lunges and burpees are two classic functional training movements; pairing them together makes for a grueling workout. Alternate lunges and burpees and follow a pyramid style workout: Start at 40 reps and work your way down to 10. Expert tip: If you mixed and matched liquors the night before, you may want to start with a round of 30.”
If you have a go-to workout to rid yourself of the night before, tweet us the moves @BritandCo!
(Photos via Reebok)