12 Must-Have Beauty Products for Fixing Winter Hat Hair
Some not-so-fun things about winter: freezing noses, snowstorms and sky-high electric bills. One oh-so-fun thing about winter: all the headwear options. As much as we love a beanie, felt fedora, or wool cap, we really hate hat hair. If you feel the same and need to get rid of that flattened, tangled mess, these 12 products will do just the trick.
1. Amika Silken Up Dry Conditioner ($25): Spritz life back into your strands with this protective, antioxidant-rich hair product. Formulated with sea buckthorn berry, dimethicone, and panthenol, the lightweight spray delivers deep hydration to cut down on frizz and restore the moisture barrier.
2. Seraphine Botanicals Himalayan Pink Salt + Apricot Texturizing Mist ($22): A flat case of hat hair is no match for this vegan texturizing spray. Himalayan salt pairs with apricot kernel oil, beet root extract, and tangerine peel oil to hydrate and refresh strands, while giving them a grittiness that both adds separation and volume.
3. Captain Blankenship Mermaid Dry Shampoo ($29): Made with kaolin clay, arrowroot, and baking soda, this oil-absorbing powder will help hat hair go unnoticed by mattifying shine and lifting flattened roots.
4. Fatboy Hair Tacky Oil ($32): This aloe vera-infused hair oil can be applied to wet or dry strands to protect against winter’s harsh weather and deliver a smooth, sleek look free from frizz and flyaways.
5. Wet Brush Pop and Go Detangler ($10): Running a brush with stiff bristles through hat hair is just begging for static. Not so with this flexible, soft-bristled detangling brush.
6. Not Your Mother’s Knotty To Nice Conditioning Detangler ($6): Say no to winter’s notoriously knotty hair by spritzing strands with this nourishing leave-in. Infused with keratin protein, the moisturizing spray will strengthen tresses while unraveling tangles.
7. Living Proof Full Dry Volume Blast ($29): Treat flat hat hair to lifted roots, all-over texture, and light hold with this weightless, residue-free styling and finishing spray.
8. Verb Ghost Dry Oil ($16): Glycerin, moringa seed oil, and pro vitamin B5 combine in this moisturizing dry oil to condition ends, add shine, and prevent against damage associated with washing and styling, as well as harsh weather.
9. Teleties Moonlight 3-Pack ($10): Topknots and ponytails are excellent ways to style tresses that have been hiding behind a winter cap all day. Before reaching for a harsh elastic, try one of these crease-less, phone cord-inspired ties to tightly secure hair without snagging or damaging strands.
11. R+Co Foil Frizz + Static Control Spray ($28): A spritz or two of this anti-static spray can combat flyaways, eliminate frizz, and get you one step closer to perfectly coiffed post-hat hair.
12. Lululemon Uplifting Scrunchie ($8): If you can’t be bothered by hat hair, consider one of the season’s hottest trends: scrunchies. This moisture-wicking version is especially fantastic for workouts, though it can be worn on lazy couch days too.
What’s your must-try way to tame winter hat hair? Tell us @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by other, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Originally published on 11/25/14
Additional reporting by Jessie Quinn