16 Healthy + Creative Recipes to Eat Quinoa for Breakfast
With so many people in search of gluten-free brunch recipes and protein-packed breakfast recipes, it’s only natural that many of us look to quinoa to help us start the day out right. In fact, the protein-packed grain makes for a FANTASTIC breakfast ingredient. Shake up your morning routine with these 16 recipes that make quinoa the star of the show.
1. Blueberry Breakfast Quinoa: In addition to the protein factor of quinoa, it also packs a ton of calcium (via milk), healthy fats (via almonds) and antioxidants (via blueberries). Use almond or coconut milk to keep it completely vegan. (via Damn Delicious)
2. Banana Quinoa Breakfast Bars: These bars make for a great to-go breakfast, and also a super-convenient on-the-go snack. Bonus: They’re gluten-free, refined sugar-free and vegan. (via The Healthy Maven)
5. Superfood Chocolate Quinoa Pancakes: These pancakes are chock-full of superfoods that provide heaps of nutritious benefits thanks to arrowroot, quinoa, coconut sugar, coconut oil and chocolate. Yes, chocolate is a superfood. You’re welcome. (via Simply Quinoa)
6. Quinoa and Egg Breakfast Muffins: The combination of quinoa and eggs give you the full spectrum of proteins and healthy fats. Bacon and cheddar cheese, on the other hand, give you some indulgent deliciousness. (via Almost Supermom)
7. Apple Cinnamon Quinoa Breakfast Muffins: The sweetness and warmth of the apple-cinnamon combo has long been a muffin staple, but this recipe throws quinoa into the mix. Bonus tip: If you want to make these vegan, just sub out each egg for one tablespoon of flaxseed combined with three tablespoons of water. (via Family Food on the Table)
8. Greek Yogurt and Quinoa Bowl: The concept of putting bananas, chia seeds and yogurt into a breakfast bowl isn’t exactly revolutionary, but adding quinoa into the mix certainly is. You can eat this warm (for an oatmeal-like bowl) or at room temperature, but if you choose the latter, be sure to let your quinoa cool before mixing. (via Slim Sanity)
12. Quinoa Pancakes: Simple and to-the-point, these quinoa pancakes are made with oats, quinoa, egg whites, flaxseed and cinnamon. To make a berry compote for over top, just combine some fresh berries with sugar and you’ve got a sweet, syrupy jam to enjoy. (via Lively Table)
13. Chocolate Quinoa Muffins: This one goes out to all the chocoholics. By combining unsweetened cacao powder and unsweetened applesauce with stevia, you’ll get a delicious and low-calorie sweet treat. (via Busy but Healthy)
14. Blueberry Quinoa Breakfast Bars: These breakfast bars are super tender yet perfectly chewy, and they pack in the goodness of quinoa and blueberries. As a bonus, they also contain hemp seeds, which are a nutritious, vegan source of healthy fats. Pro tip: Depending on where you live, you may see either “hemp seed” or “hemp hearts” on your packaging — they’re the same thing. (via Simply Quinoa)
16. Cornmeal Quinoa Waffles With Honeyed Lemon Ricotta: Your brunch crew will be super impressed by these cornmeal-quinoa waffles, particularly if you serve them with whipped lemon ricotta. (via Gather and Dine)
Follow us on Pinterest for more healthy and creative breakfast ideas!