Whether you just moved into your first apartment or you’re finally committing to that full apartment makeover, it’s easy to go big and treat yo’ self to a bunch of new furniture. Resist this urge. There is nothing more discouraging than having a half-finished kitchen because you just couldn’t say no to that statement light. It’s true: Home decor budgets are like black holes for dreams, but with some easy DIY options you can get the items you need and the style you want at a fraction of the cost. Check out the 14 decor pieces below that you can totally DIY, and save your pennies for that velvet couch you really do need.
1. DIY Abstract Wall Art: Art is famous for being expensive. Even the abstract stuff that people claim their small children could do way better. Well, break out your inner child and those bright paints to make your very own piece of statement art. (via Sarah Hearts)
2. DIY Pretzel Pillows: If you could have one wish, an unlimited supply of themed throw pillows for every season would definitely be a good option. Sadly, throw pillows are ridiculously expensive, and most of us don’t have enough storage for the off-season cushions. Embellish your own throw pillow covers or DIY something more awesome than money can buy: a pretzel pillow. That’s basically good for three seasons, right? (via Studio DIY)
3. DIY Hanging Shelf: Take advantage of your wall space to make more storage with hanging shelves and mounted boxes. You could even do a whole gallery wall of hanging box shelves and DIY your own version of built-in storage. (via Brit + Co)
4. DIY Gem Mirror: Mirrors are definitely a *must-have* when it comes to decorating, because they reflect light in dark spaces and give the illusion that your room is double the size. Oh, and they provide the perfect place to check yo’ self out. Instead of spending a fortune on a statement mirror, shop thrift stores and give an outdated look new life with gold detailing. (via A Beautiful Mess)
5. DIY IKEA Hack Headboard: Splurge on that mattress, because good sleep is worth investing in. That pretty headboard though? Totally a fun DIY option where you can save a lot of money. (via Sugar and Cloth)
6. DIY Gold Leaf IKEA Console: A little gold leaf can go a long way in making those inexpensive pieces of furniture look like a splurge. Dress up a vintage find or IKEA table with gold instead of spending a lot on an expensive console table. (via The Everygirl)
7. DIY Hanging Clothes Rack: There’s no such thing as too much storage, and as nice as it would be to have rooms and rooms full of built-ins, you can give your closet a mini makeover RN by adding DIY storage with pieces that you can take with you when you move. (via Burkatron)
8. DIY One Step Marble Side Table: Everyone in home decor is swooning over marble, but even if you aren’t looking to redo your kitchen countertops, you can still get a piece of that luxe look in under five minutes with a marble tile and four hairpin legs. (via Kristi Murphy)
9. DIY Area Rug: You can easily blow a whole paycheck on a big area rug (and then blow your patience when you spill a glass of wine on it a week later). Rugs get a lot of wear and tear, so your best bet is to go for an inexpensive DIY option that will fit perfectly in your space and can be tweaked with the colors you’re currently loving. (via Brit + Co)
10. DIY Dip Dyed Candles: There are always those splurge-worthy candles with a scent that is carefully hoarded and only burned on special occasions. But when you want to get your glow on without burning serious dough on one candle, make over inexpensive column candles by dipping them in dye and creating a cozy vignette. (via Martha Stewart)
11. DIY Pendant Lighting: Lighting can get very expensive very quickly, especially when you want a really cool piece in every single room. DIY this trendy geometric piece for less than $10 and watch it become your favorite light in the house. (via Style Me Pretty)
12. DIY Furry Stool: Occasional furniture, like side tables and extra seating, definitely make a room look more put-together and “grown-up,” but they’re also expensive. Don’t invest a chunk of money in eye candy when you can DIY trendy pieces that are personalized to fit your style. (via A Beautiful Mess)
13. DIY Painted Tile Backsplash: Yes, you can totally paint the tiles in your backsplash and turn them into a gorgeous geometric pattern. Get the kitchen or bathroom makeover you’ve been wanting with just a coat of paint and some taping skills. (via One Kings Lane)
14. DIY Ottoman: Extra seating is always nice to have, but it’s also not a huge priority when you’re trying to decide what to use the budget for. If you find a piece at a thrift store with the right price tag, don’t say no to it because of an unfortunate fabric color. Reupholster that treasure with a bold, modern print and give yourself the coolest ottoman ever. (via Brit + Co)
If you’re tackling a home improvement project, we want to hear about it! Tweet us your dream DIY makeover @BritandCo.