18 Homemade Salad Dressing Recipes That Will Make You WANT to Eat Salad
Everyone knows what the main attraction of eating a salad is. It’s not the nuts, it’s not the croutons and it’s definitely not the lettuce. It’s the addition of the perfect salad dressing recipe! Most store-bought varieties are expensive, and they’re often surprisingly unhealthy. Luckily, it’s ridiculously easy to make your own, so there’s really no excuse not to top your mason jar salad with a homemade dressing. From creamy yogurt-based cilantro-lime dressing to a tangy raspberry vinaigrette, these 18 salad dressings are ready to be drizzled.
2. Creamy Cilantro-Lime Dressing: Greek yogurt makes this dressing ultra creamy, while cilantro, lime and garlic lend incredible flavor. You’ll want to top everything with this dressing — not just salads. (via Culinary Hill)
3. Creamy Raspberry Vinaigrette: Any salad dressing that’s this shade of pink is automatically a winner. This sweet and tart vinaigrette would be perfect on a summery grilled chicken salad. Preferably eaten picnic-style, of course. (via The Roasted Root)
4. Orange Ginger Salad Dressing: The citrus and ginger zing in this salad dressing is intensely delicious. Just whip out your blender, and combine all the ingredients for a fast and easy dressing any time you need it. (via iFoodReal)
5. 5-Minute Vegan Caesar Dressing: If you’ve ever made Caesar dressing from scratch, you know that it traditionally includes anchovies. They’re what gives Caesar its distinct flavor, but they’re a big no-no for vegans. The solution? Capers. They add a salty flavor similar to anchovies, but they’re vegan-friendly. (via Minimalist Baker)
6. Blackberry Tarragon Salad Dressing: If there’s one thing that will liven up a boring salad, it’s a purple salad dressing. Tart blackberries are balanced with sweet honey and a unique licorice flavor from fresh tarragon. Drizzle this on a simple salad with avocado and pepitas for a quick lunch. (via Kevin Is Cooking)
7. Greek Vinaigrette: If you have a mason jar (with a lid), then you can make this vinaigrette with no trouble at all. Just a bit of garlic, lemon juice and oregano, and you have yourself a side salad dressing that would go well with any main course. (via Little Broken)
8. Green Goddess Dressing: This dressing will be your new go-to. It’s not just for salads, either — the versatile mix of watercress, mint and basil means it’s great as a sandwich spread or veggie dip too. (via Cooking With Books)
9. Greek Yogurt Caesar Dressing: Standard Caesar Dressing is loaded with fat and calories. While it’s great as an occasional indulgence, it’s not necessarily something you want to eat for lunch every day. This dressing is perfect for when that midweek craving hits, since it substitutes Greek yogurt for eggs and most of the oil that’s in the traditional recipe. (via Gimme Some Oven)
10. Ginger and Carrot Japanese Salad Dressing: If you’ve ever been to a Japanese hibachi grill, than you’ve had this dressing and wondered how you can make it at home. The good news is that it’s really simple, and really good for you. (via The Tomato Tart)
11. Poppy Seed Dressing: This sweet poppy seed dressing is perfect on a spinach salad topped with tangy pomegranate and mandarin oranges. You probably already have everything you need to make this — salad for dinner tonight, perhaps? (via Love Grows Wild)
12. Homemade Ranch Dressing: Ahh… ranch dressing. The one that started a love affair with salad for most people. Little did you know, homemade ranch is a thousand times better than store-bought, and it’s insanely easy to make. Your celery and carrots won’t know what hit them after you make this. (via The Honour System)
13. 5-Minute Honey Mustard Sauce: This dressing has way more to offer than a topping for salads. Sure, it’s amazing on a bed of lettuce, but it’s really going to shine as a dipper for crispy chicken fingers. (via Pinch of Yum)
14. 5-Minute Pistachio Kale Sauce: You know you’re winning at life when you’re eating a kale salad with a kale dressing on top of it! It’s kale on kale, and it’s delicious. The only other thing that would make this salad inception crazier is if you sprinkled crushed pistachios on top. Mind = Blown. (via Stacy Homemaker)
15. Raspberry Vinaigrette: This vinaigrette is loaded with raspberries. Two cups’ worth of frozen raspberries, to be exact. If that doesn’t get you excited to eat a salad, nothing will. The dressing can be stored in the fridge for up to a week, but it’s probably going to be gone long before then. (via The Organic Dietitian)
16. Roasted Garlic Salad Dressing: If you have an extra three (yes, three) heads of garlic lying around, then this dressing is a delicious chance to use them up. Roasting garlic is so easy, and it can be used in a multitude of different dishes — including your go-to weekday salad. (via An Edible Mosaic)
17. Skinny Chipotle-Lime Ranch: If Mexican flavors are your jam, you might want to double this recipe. This spicy and tart ranch would be amazing on a grilled chicken salad with corn, black beans and avocado. Don’t forget to add a margarita or two. (via Cooking Classy)
18. Sweet and Spicy Mango Salad Dressing: Who needs to take a trip to the Caribbean when you can make this salad dressing? Mango is blended with chiles, orange and lime for an explosion of flavor you won’t believe. Once you’ve tried it on your salad, taste it with blackened salmon… so good. (via The Café Sucre Farine)
Follow us on Pinterest for more easy + delicious recipe ideas.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)