How to Feel Sexy Wearing Almost Anything
It’s time to ditch your squeaky-clean image for a capsule wardrobe of come-hither statement pieces that slay around the clock. We’re firm believers that you don’t have to bare it all to look hot. In fact, by showing off just a hint of skin (a peek-a-boo slit here, a little off-the-shoulder action there), you won’t even have to worry about HR coming after you. In lieu of slinky bodycon dresses and deep plunging necklines, our idea of sexy for fall involves embracing an understated confidence that speaks for itself. Think: a mini sweater dress that stuns with sneakers or a pair of streamlined joggers with major model-off-duty appeal. Scroll down for 18 fearless statement pieces that will make you look (and feel) like a goddess.
1. Nasty Gal Steel Your Heart Bomber Jacket ($108): Have a pink metallic bomber jacket, will wear it for a street-chic look that racks up the likes on Insta (and IRL). Pair this tough-girl topper with distressed black jeans, high-top tennies and mirrored sunnies for a getup that’s guaranteed to take the streets of Miami and NYC by storm.
2. ASOS Jumper in Plated Rib ($36) + Co-ord Skirt in Rib ($41): We can’t decide which we love more: the fierce shade of siren red, the peekaboo slit or the fact it’s a versatile co-ord. This slim-fitting mock-neck sweater and ribbed skirt are a match made in heaven — they’ll take you from a GNO with your squad (cue the Stan Smith sneakers) to a conservative day at the office (just add a messy top knot and black ankle booties for the win).
3. Reformation Spader Dress ($198): Meet the menswear-inspired blazer-turned-mini-dress you won’t want to take off. Rock a “no pants, don’t care” ‘tude in casual work environments by slipping this bad boy on alongside heeled loafers for a foolproof look that takes you from a.m. to p.m. Come Labor Day weekend, don’t hesitate to wear it as a bikini cover-up while soaking up rays in Montauk.
4. All Saints Esther Dress ($160): When comfort meets luxury, this off-duty jersey dress (AKA your new hero piece in disguise) is the WAY chic result. Between the subtle thigh split and open shoulders, you can’t lose. Team it with some edgy black Chelsea boots for the office before transitioning it for rooftop drinks with your favorite leather moto jacket in tow.
5. Reformation Barclay Jumpsuit ($198): Pull out all the stops with this sultry jumpsuit that defines one-and-done dressing (we’re looking at you, self-proclaimed lazy girls!). The straight neckline and easy-breezy palazzo pants make it a shoo-in for back-to-back-to-back meetings, early happy hours and black tie weddings. Did we mention it happens to look ah-mazing with a top-handle bag and of-the-moment suede mules? Sign us up, please.
6. Wilfred Croquis Sweater ($125): Step aside, deep V-neck tops: This luxurious shoulder-baring sweater leaves just the right amount to the imagination. It’s modest enough for the nine-to-five grind, yet mysterious enough for a romantic dinner date. All that’s missing are some statement-making chandelier earrings and a pair of black culottes for a late-summer to early-fall transitional #OOTD.
7. Forever 21 Bell-Sleeved Crop Top ($15): Not just restricted to festival days, a bell-sleeve crop top will surprise you in more ways than one. This stretchy knit top includes a tasteful keyhole cutout that allows you to show off just a sliver of skin (and a layered pendant necklace or two). Come fall, pair it with some high-waisted suede shorts for a night on the town or a denim button-front skirt that screams back-to-school.
8. & Other Stories Burnout Dress ($55): Hello, Little Miss Independent. This black burnout dress is for the sultress who swears by all-black-errthang. Slip it over an after hours-approved bodysuit, then slide into some metallic steppers for a look that demands attention. Whether you’re heading to a bachelorette celebration or attending a swanky pool party in Calabasas, you’ll be in business.
9. Free People Back to Back Sweater Mini ($168): It won’t be long before you’re trading in your paper-thin camis for chunky knits that channel next-level sex appeal. Case in point: This charcoal gray sweater dress manages to strike the perfect balance between sporty and laid-back chic, all thanks to its perfectly oversized silhouette. Downplay the comfy turtleneck style and abbreviated hemline with some throwback kicks for a weekend spent running errands or on a low-key date night with your boo.
10. Vero Moda Tall Floral Sateen Pajama Blouse ($39) + Tall Floral Sateen Joggers ($39): Yes, you can wear pajamas beyond the bedroom — don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. For a just-woke-up-like-this look that exudes confidence, DO sport this floral print PJ set with power pumps and a statement-making clutch, or swap out the blouse for a white tee and a black blazer when you want to switch things up.
11. Madewell Zip-Back Dress in Dot Scatter ($148): Not too casual, not overly dressy, but just right for every post-work event in your iCal. While the playful polka dot print reads cutesy, the tasteful open back (and that exposed zipper) has us ready to mix and mingle. Take note: This is the type of non-fussy t-shirt dress you’ll wear for years to come.
12. Topshop Ombre Sequin Jogger Trousers ($125): Don’t you dare play it safe when you have a pair of ombre sequin joggers with this much swagger on standby. Get ready to shimmer the night away by pairing them with a bow-neck blouse and chunky platform heels. Fast-forward to the weekend and you’ll feel just as glam in a sports bra and Yeezys for a little post-gym rendezvous.
13. J.O.A. Trench Vest ($105): If you only invest in one topper this season, make it this cool girl-approved trench vest that will elevate everything from a seasonless slip dress to throwback flares. The tie-waist style and longline silhouette will bring the drama as you flash more than just a little bit of leg. Pro tip: Throw it on with a bodysuit, vintage Levis and combat boots for an outdoor concert at the fairgrounds.
14. Out from Under Olivia Blouse Bodysuit ($79): Is it a bodysuit? Is it a lace-up blouse? It’s actually both. Not for the overly shy, this ultra-femme top is sure to spice up your weekly wardrobe rotation. Style it with mom jeans and chunky lace-up boots for a ‘90s grunge look that’s so RN.
15. Zara Skinny Mid-Rise Trousers ($50): Skinny trousers with exposed zippers? We’re so down. Don’t let ill-fitting slacks cramp your style when these blue jeans are the real MVP. Not only do they fit like a glove, but they look just as sleek with a chambray shirt and power pumps as a plain white tee and Chuck Taylors. #Winning
16. Madewell Oversized Boyfriend Boyshirt in Waterfall Blue ($80): It’s ‘bout time you invested in an oversized boyfriend shirt of your own. This one not only comes in a beautiful shade of blue, but fits like a dream too. Pare it down with denim cutoffs and cowgirl boots for one last summer hurrah, or layer it over a maxi dress for a French-girl-meets-tomboy vibe. A chic bandana scarf may or may not be in order.
17. Nasty Gal Yasmine Robe Romper ($88): Keep a case of the outfit blahs away with this entrance-making navy romper featuring a goddess-inspired overlay. When a floor-grazing gown reads too predictable (been there, done that), this navy stunner will make you stand out for all the right reasons. Finish off your look with some lace-up ghillies that will put your toned gams on display.
18. Free People Luxe Satin Jogger ($98): Watch out, Kendall Jenner! Not just restricted to a quick run around the block, these silky joggers will inspire you to adopt a more athleisure-inspired look this fall. Wear them to the airport, a casual Friday at the office or even for Sunday brunch (‘cause why not?). Style them alongside a matching bomber jacket and crop top and you’ll feel like the flyest gal on the block.
Which of these statement pieces will you be investing in for a come-hither look this fall? Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Pocket doors are so delightful in and of themselves. They appear when you need them, get tucked away when you don't, and make it easy to define rooms while keeping an open floor plan. Add to the pocket door a joyful patterned wallpaper surprise, and you will be sent right into fits of visual jubilation! Or something ;) Today we're sharing two simple and impactful pocket door makeovers that zhuzh up your space in a jiffy.
Anjelika Temple here, co-founder of Brit + Co and proud owner of several pocket doors! When I moved into my first real grown-up house a couple years ago, I knew I wanted to incorporate wallpaper so reached out to our friends at Chasing Paper to see how we might collaborate. It felt like a total lightbulb moment when I realized I could create a surprise pop of pattern on a couple sets of pocket doors.
Not only is it a whimsical way to bring color into a space, but the doors double as picture-perfect backdrops for all your SFH (selfies from home, obvs).
A few pro tips about install:
- Removable wallpaper is miraculously forgiving! You can take it on and off multiple times without it losing integrity (or mucking up your surface).
- I ordered this adhesive wallpaper installation kit with a squeegee and xacto knife and it worked super well. I also recommend a sharp pair of scissors for cutting longer lines.
- This is a two-person job! Get a friend, put on a playlist, and get ready to bond.
- Wild, organic patterns like Tally are great because it's challenging to spot any imperfections in pattern alignment; keep pattern choice in mind if you've got a lot of corners to match up. More geometric patterns and larger shapes leave less room for error (but are awesome in their own right!).
BATHROOM POCKET DOORS
In our primary bathroom, we chose the wallpaper pattern Tally, designed by Kelly Ventura, in White and Navy. In our space, the navy reads as a soft black, which is perfect for the space. It's easy to combine an ever-rotating collection of linens with the Tally pattern.
I love how the white trim becomes the perfect frame around this pocket door piece of art.
My favorite moment in this space is the fact that you actually get a third pop of pattern thanks to our serendipitously placed mirror!
And yes, this one works pretty darn well as a backdrop too ;)
LIVING ROOM DOUBLE DOORS
This set of doors is definitely a focal point of our home. It separates our living room from our primary bedroom which opens onto our backyard. The doors are pretty much always open, but when they're closed we wanted to evoke a fun, nature-inspired vibe. With that in mind, we selected the Lines and Moons pattern by Thimblepress in Green and Brown.
Earth mama vibes up in here! I love how the shapes and colors echo the ferns you see through the windows and the acorn wood details throughout the house.
Love this pattern moment, and xacto-ing out the door handle is def on the oddly satisfying DIY list.
For a pattern lover like me, I love that now I have this instant photo backdrop!
Thanks to Chasing Paper for providing these rolls of pure pattern amazingness. Head to chasingpaper.com to find our own favorites and start adding patterns to your home!
(Wallpaper wingwoman: Kayla Haykin; Photography: Kurt Andre)