Sometimes you need to pivot from your original direction and use your creative energy to stay the course or find another path. We're partnering with Office Depot to spotlight emerging entrepreneurs from our Selfmade virtual business course. Maisa Mumtaz-Cassidy, founder of sustainable fashion marketplace Wear Consciously, shares how she learned to adapt to change while staying true to her mission.
B + C: What inspired you to start Consciously?
I'm from Bangladesh, which is the world's second-largest garment exporter, where most fast-fashion brands manufacture. Several, if not majority, of my friends and family own garment businesses and my whole life I've heard of the challenges factory owners face to meet the ever-growing demands on Western brands that come into the country to leverage cheap labor and lax policies. I've also worked in the manufacturing industry back in Bangladesh and that experience really showed me how apathetic businesses are towards garment workers. I would be in meetings with buyers telling them we strive to pay our workers a living wage, which is 4 times more than what they actually get paid, only to be dismissed with, "That's not our responsibility. If you won't make this product for us for $1/unit, we'll just go to the factory next door."
It was my frustrating experience in manufacturing that sparked my interest in ethical fashion, and the more I learned, the more committed I became to bringing about real, positive change within the fashion industry. I always knew I wanted to start my own business — entrepreneurship runs in my family and my mom was always very encouraging of it. I landed on the idea for Consciously around the end of 2018. By this point, I saw that there were sustainable fashion brands doing truly incredible work while creating beautiful products. I also realized that people who do want to shop ethically-made fashion have a difficult time navigating the space because it can be overwhelming to research and understand. People don't want to just buy things, they want to feel like they're contributing to a positive cause through the purchasing choices they make. Consumers are paying attention, and 70% of them want to know what the brands they support are doing to address social and environmental issues. And because sustainable fashion is so multi-faceted, I built a marketplace where consumers can shop already-vetted brands by the values most important to them!
B + C: Have you always been passionate about fashion?
I've been fascinated with fashion ever since I can remember, and I really believe fashion is a tool to express one's values. In high school, my best friend and I were planning on launching our own line and had formulated a business plan, sketched designs, and pitched our parents for funding. It's sort of funny to think back on now, but at the time, we were teenagers serious about taking the South-Asian fashion scene by storm but being the kids of over-achieving South-Asian parents, education ultimately took priority and our dreams of co-founding a fashion business eventually withered away. I did go on to study Fashion Marketing at one of the top fashion universities in the country and still will occasionally design my own clothes when I'm back home.
B + C: What startup challenges have you faced along the way?
This is a tough one because every single day entrepreneurs are faced with unique challenges. I would say one of the biggest ones has been launching a business in the midst of a global pandemic. We faced multiple delays in launching Consciously because many vendors' supply chains were shut down or operating unpredictably. And retail has been one of the most devastated industries by the coronavirus outbreak, so when we did launch, sales were trickling in quite slowly for the first couple of months which is something that we had anticipated to some degree but nonetheless, it was still a really hard and stressful time especially since we're a bootstrapped company and we had invested so much capital into inventory. As the founder of a startup with limited resources, I really have to get my hands dirty in all aspects of the business and constantly learn new skills which is always a humbling experience but compels one to intimately get to know the ins and outs of their business and I believe that's ultimately an advantage.
B + C: What strategies helped you overcome those challenges?
Leading with humanity is incredibly important to me and it's how I try to approach solving challenges in both my personal and professional life. Being resilient and adaptable has definitely helped push me through situations that once felt impossible to overcome. I think those are qualities every entrepreneur needs to adopt because running a business can take you on a hell of a psychological rollercoaster ride. When our vendors' supply chains were being impacted, I let them know we were committed to their success and would be there for them when they were ready. Empathy and clear communication played a significant role in ensuring that we launched in a way that best supported our brand partners, and even today I work closely with them on matters of all sorts.
Now that things have started reopening in the US, we're seeing our sales increase and hitting our monthly goals. I think that's primarily because we've stayed consistent throughout the past few months with our newsletter, social media, and blog to remain top of mind for our target audience. We've also made changes internally in order to be able to bring on new brands and products faster with little to no upfront costs which is huge for Consciously and really exciting for our consumers.
B + C: What are some of your successes so far?
I would say creating a really engaged community that we call our "Consciously Fam." Also building a platform that's already received such positive response and one in which people find real value in.
B + C: How have you approached marketing your brand and raising awareness?
Mostly, our focus has been on organic marketing meaning social media, email, blog, and SEO. We've recently started investing in paid social ads so we'll see how that goes. Besides that, we've done some influencer marketing in the past which we're doubling down on now.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
The most valuable takeaway was bringing Brit + Co co-founder, Anjelika Temple, to our Board of Advisors! I feel really grateful to have connected with and gotten support from her, Brit Morin, and my coach, Emily Merrell during Selfmade.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip? Do you use any apps that help you manage your business?
Google Calendar is my best friend. I timeblock literally everything. In regards to apps, I use Later to manage my social media accounts, Canva and Figma for designing, and Monday for project management.
B + C: How do you stay motivated? Who inspires you?
My team, mentors, and customers help me stay motivated. When people interact with Consciously and respond with, "I love this!" It's just the best feeling. Entrepreneurship can be really lonely and exhausting; when I'm feeling really overwhelmed or down, I listen to podcast interviews of female founders I admire like Deepica Mutyala, Payal Kadakia, and Jaime Schmidt for example, who are all just really authentic about their journeys and it really does uplift and inspire me. My mom also keeps me motivated because she's my number one cheerleader!
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
If you're truly passionate about solving a problem and think you're the right person to take it on, just start. Things will never be perfect, you'll fail and learn and evolve; it's all part of the journey. But be ready to work really hard and get comfortable with being uncomfortable.
Learning to adapt to change is so important to getting ahead and not giving up. Along the way, Office Depot OfficeMax can help you stay organized & save time with a suite of business services to help you accomplish more - from signs, posters & banners to get your business noticed to marketing materials to help bring your brand vision to life.Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.
Picture this: You're finally going out after being cooped up for most of the past year and you've spent hours getting ready. You feel great, until you walk outside and immediately begin sweating. Nothing ruins a good night quicker than your makeup melting off before you can even get to your destination. That's why we chatted up actress Jenna Ortega (you might recognize her from Jane the Virgin and You) about her barely-there beauty routine and statement eye mastery. She's one of our favorite up-and-coming actresses with great skin and style to boot. Here's what she had to say about her fave products, plus our roundup of 24 beauty products — from waterproof mascara to acne-fighting face wash — to keep you fresh faced and cool all summer long.
Cool Down Your Skin
You want to stay hydrated inside and out all year long. To cool off skin, Ortega says she loves using cryo-sticks, stainless steel tools that lower your skin's temp, and reduce pores, inflammation, and redness. "They're great for de-puffing in the morning," says Ortega. "And just fun to use!" Don't have a cryo-stick? Substitute a spoon fresh from the freezer.
Look for products that are matte, shine-free, and sweat-proof during the summer months. For hair, try a hair mask to moisturize and nourish your hair for a fresh summer look. "Sometimes there's nothing better than a Friday night in for a little self-care — tweezing my eyebrows while doing a hair mask," Ortega says. Good reminder to pay attention to your eyebrows to help your minimal makeup stand out. Use a moist beauty blender or your favorite brush to even things out.
Waterproof Statement Eyes
Image via Allan Avendano
For a knockout eye look, pick an eyeshadow that complements your eyes (Ortega loves a green shadow), or grab a palette with lots of colors to change up your look every day. Don't forget to curl your lashes to open up your eyes. "I love eyelash curlers, especially when I'm not wearing mascara, as it really opens up your eyes," Ortega says. Since face makeup isn't the only thing that can melt, opt for waterproof products to keep your look clean all night long.
Wash Off After A Night Out
When you get home from a night of fun, remember to cleanse your skin even if you're really tired. Ortega prefers to wash her face in the shower (same here!), and always makes sure to take off all her makeup before going to bed. You'll wake up fresh faced with clean pillowcases to boot!
SPF is important during every season, and especially during sunny, hot summer days. It'll help protect your skin from UV rays, which means you'll be fighting against hyperpigmentation, sun spots, and sun cancer.
From purple lipstick to Ortega's favorite perfume (she says she loves that Santal 33 makes her smell like a high-end hotel), balance sophisticated with colorful, indie beauty this summer. Treat yourself to a silky sleep mask to get your beauty sleep and some freckle tint that'll give you a sun-kissed look without the sun damage.
What are your favorite summer beauty products? DM us on Instagram and make sure to tag us with your makeup looks!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
It's just not summer unless you have an ice-cold fruity drink in hand. While many of us like to enjoy a cocktail every now and then, sometimes you need something sans alcohol (sadly, we can't live on mojitos). You were obsessed with spring mocktails, and it's time to upgrade them for the summer season. Whether you're not a drinker or you just need a break from the booze (or expecting!), these 17 summery mocktails will *not* disappoint. Keep reading to discover your new favorite warm-weather refreshment.
1. Blueberry Ginger Cooler: When the weather is hot, you need something with the word “cooler” in the name. This blueberry-ginger concoction does the job of keeping you chill and hydrated in the heat. To keep it colder longer, freeze blueberries to use as ice that won’t dilute your drink. (via Cooking With Manali)
2. Raspberry Lemonade Virgin Mojito: Maybe it’s the obligatory mint in a mojito, but those things are so damn invigorating. Since this raspberry lemonade mojito skips the rum, you can serve it to whoever you want. But you just might want to reserve a whole pitcher for yourself. (via SoFab Food)
3. Grapefruit Kombucha Agua Fresca: It’s not every day you find a drink that’s good for you and that you want to drink on the regular. This one has fresh grapefruit juice and kombucha, along with a subtle herbal note thanks to the rosemary. (via Will Frolic for Food)
4. Honey Blackberry Mint Mocktails: When you’re on a paleo diet, you have to constantly be on the lookout for added sugar in your seemingly healthy drinks. This mocktail is sweetened with only honey and blackberries, so you can be sure it’s as wholesome as possible. (via Bowl of Delicious)
5. Hibiscus Iced Tea Sparkler: This fresh and flavorful drink will have you saying sayonara to your usual Starbucks order. Infuse with berries and mint to enhance the flavors even more. (via Diethood)
6. Mango Meyer Lemon Margarita Mocktails: Who needs tequila anyway? We heard it makes your clothes fall off, and you definitely don’t want that. Play it safe with these virgin mango margs that are more than worthy of your next taco Tuesday. (via An Edible Mosaic)
7. Kiwi Mojito Mocktail: Quench your thirst the only way you know how… mojitos. Keep it PG by nixing the liquor and you won’t even be able to tell the difference. This kiwi variation is so unique, your palate will thank you for the welcome change. (via Lincy’s Cook Art)
8. Strawberry Orange Ginger Fizz: Add some intrigue to your fizzy drinks with a slice or two of fresh ginger. It makes the drink more refreshing and balances out the sweetness ever so slightly. These would be great served at a weekend summer brunch party. (via A Calculated Whisk)
9. Frozen Peach Bellini Mocktail: Sparkling apple juice replaces the Champagne in this virgin Bellini. It’s blended with ripe peaches and lime juice for a frosty summer treat that everyone will adore. (via Spicy Southern Kitchen)
10. Refreshing Orange Mint Mocktail: This is no ordinary OJ — oh no. This is a sparkling orange mocktail permeated with hints of mint and lemon. Knowing this is waiting for you in the fridge in the morning is the best alarm clock there is. (via Pepper Delight)
12. Rhubarb and Citrus Mocktail: Rhubarb is the staple ingredient of summer. Harness its flavor in anything but a pie with this swanky mocktail. Garnish with edible flowers and mint for an elegant touch. (via Craving Amsterdam)
13. Roasted Peach and Strawberry Fizz: Daiquiri lovers will obsess over this fruity pureed drink. Even kids will be begging for a sip, and this time, you can say yes! IF you want to share, that is. (via Use Your Noodle)
14. Sparkling Grapefruit Mocktail: Homemade grenadine is a mixer you should always have on hand for all of your cocktail and mocktail needs. Here, it’s combined with grapefruit juice and a splash of Sprite for a non-alcoholic drink that’s comparable to a mimosa. (via Crumb Kitchen)
15. Tropical Mocktail: Vacation means indulging in a few fruity drinks, but that doesn’t mean they have to be full of alcohol. Enjoy every second of your trip by making a batch of these tropical mocktails to keep on hand. Drink hack: Freeze fruit in ice trays for a fun garnish. (via Jess Explains It All)
16. Very Berry Mocktail: Anything made with pink lemonade concentrate has to be full of flavor. After a full day in the summer sun, you’ll welcome this frigid berrylicious treat with open arms. (via Is This Really My Life)
17. Watermelon Agua Fresca: Agua fresca is the OG mocktail and has stood the test of time for a reason. Simply blend watermelon, sugar and lime juice together and sip leisurely with a thick layer of SPF. (via Happiness Is Homemade)
Follow us on Pinterest for more easy + delicious recipe ideas.
This post has been updated from a previous post.