How We Use Technology to Stay in Touch (+ Laptop Giveaway!)
Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, or Kwanzaa, we can all agree that the holiday season, the end of the year, and the beginning of a new one is all about reconnecting and sharing memories with friends and family, near and far.
That’s why when Intel asked us to talk about all the different ways we use technology to keep in touch, it was an easy yes. Best of all, they’re giving away two gorgeous new Intel-inspired laptops (the Dell XPS 12 and Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga) to you, our readers! What better way to start off a new year than with a new laptop? More on that later.
From shared playlists to video chats around a cross-contintental dining table, there are so many incredible ways to keep in touch with friends and family near and far. Here are some of our favorites.
Cross-Contintental Dining: Can’t get your entire family in one place for a holiday dinner? Make it happen online!
1. Google Hangout: One of the easiest ways to hang out virtually is to create a Google Hangout. Simply log in to your Gmail account and get your hang on.
2. Skype: Long lauded as the way to keep in touch with friends and family overseas, Skype is still a great go-to, especially for staying in touch with folks from computer to phone.
3. iChat Video: Guys, remember AIM? And how iChat basically just absorbed them and made it so we still end up using our old school AOL screen names? The video component is a breeze to use and great for hanging out.
4. FaceTime: Looking for a little screen time on the go? FaceTime!
Rocking Out: Nothing brings a group of friends, family, and strangers together like music.
5. Spotify Collaborative Playlists: Spotify makes the shared playlist even more awesome by adding the ability to collaborate! Simply right-click on any playlist and make it collaborative. Then share with friends and family. So awesome.
6. Rdio Favorites: Like Spotify, Rdio makes it easy to bring your music collection wherever you go. The share feature lets you share songs, albums or playlists with anyone in your Rdio network, plus you can include a note.
7. Last.fm: Got a friend who always knows the latest thing? Follow them on last.fm and make sure you stay in the loop.
8. iTunes Playlist Gift: If you’re the music master in the family, create an iTunes playlist and gift it to your
Sharing Photos + Videos: Make sure to keep each updated on all the goings-on in your life through photos! Though Facebook is great for a large network, we like to use a few other apps for more intimate sharing.
9. Flickr: Flickr is a great way to archive and album all of your photos. Share albums with friends, and invite friends to groups so you can easily collect all the photos from any event.
10. Picasa: This is Google’s answer to photo sharing and storage. It’s easy to use, and helps you publish photos in all sorts of different formats.
11. Path: You know we hold this one close to our hearts. This mobile app is all about your intimate circle of friends and family. By limiting your contact count to 150, Path allows you to share anything and everything with only your closest folks. In addition to photos, share songs listened to, books read, random thoughts, and locations.
12. Instagram: Like Path, this is an app that exists almost solely on your smartphone. The content on this one is just photos, making it a super visual social experience.
Now, back to Intel!
The Dell XPS 12 Ultrabook (left) is like a tablet and laptop in one, with a crazy rotating screen! The Lenova IdeaPad Yoga (right) features 360 degree flip and fold design, allowing you to use it as a notebook, tablet, stand, or tent. And that brings us to… today’s giveaway!
UPDATE: This giveaway is now closed. Congrats to Jennifer Walker and Armin Jamak!
Here’s how to enter our Intel giveaway:
1. Fill out the Brit + Co. content survey – we want to know what you think about the site and how we can make it better in 2013.
2. Tell us how you use technology to keep in touch with friends and family near and far.
3. Let us know which laptop you’re swooning over – the Dell XPS 12 or the Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga.
Submit your entry in the comments below or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Your entry should look like this:
This giveaway closes at 11:59pm on Tuesday, December 18th. Each winner will be chosen at random. For more info on Intel’s new collection of laptops, head to the Intel Newsroom.