13 Items to Stock Pile Now to Get You Ready for Holiday Entertaining
We know it’s coming. We can feel it in the air. That’s right, the holiday season is nearly upon us. Soon, pumpkins and candy corn will be replaced with pumpkin pies and candy canes. And TBH, we are just excited to start redecorating for the holidays. But like any good hostess, we’re preparing in advance for our lovely holiday guests. Now you don’t have to wait till the last minute to grab those entertaining goodies. Here is a list of must-have items to keep stockpiled around your home for a seamless holiday entertaining experience.
1. Colorful Tableware: The great thing about plates, bowls and silverware? They don’t have to be explicitly holiday-themed to feel merry and bright. Start collecting a few of your favorite pieces now so you’ll be more than ready when it’s time to carve the turkey or serve up those Santa cookies. (via Brit + Co)
2. A Well-Stocked Bar: Whether you have a full-on wet bar, a little corner in your kitchen or an entire bar cart, make sure your booze and fixins are ready to go. You could also start collecting colorful straws, cocktail napkins or holiday drink recipes for an even more eye-catching drink situation. (via The Skinny Confidential)
3. Pretty Napkins: While napkins can up the “wow” factor on any tablescape, all that drinking and eating can cause those napkins to be flowing more heavily than the booze you’re serving. That’s why it’s always good to have plenty of extras on hand. We’re especially loving this unique DIY scalloped version. (via Sarah Hearts)
4. String Lights: Absolutely nothing feels cozier than a well-lit room. And don’t think those rainbow colored bulbs you throw on the tree every year are the only way to get the job done. Try stringing up a set of simple white bulbs anywhere in your home for instant warmth. (via Alex’s Closet)
5. Festive Glassware: The right glasses will add a certain holiday dazzle to that otherwise ordinary cup of wine or ‘nog. This gilded set ($56) from our shop would make a great addition to any home and will last well past the holiday season.
6. Extra Seating: This DIY ottoman is a great way to turn a ho-hum vintage piece into some extra legroom for your dad or place for your friend to sit. Make or find a few of these similar pieces to create extra seating on the fly. (via Brit+ Co)
7. Colorful Place Cards: Whether you buy or DIY them, name cards are a great thing to have on hand. They instantly tie together a holiday theme, while also adding a personal touch. We’re especially in love with these walnut place cards, which can be used for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years Eve and many holiday seasons to come! (via eHow)
8. Seasonal Candle: You don’t have to be part of Kappa Kappa Tau (Scream Queens, anyone!?) to be obsessed with candles. There’s a reason why they seem to have an extra special place in the holiday celebrations. We especially love this essential oils candle ($28), which has fall-inspired notes of cedar and sage.
9. Colorful Coasters: Of course with a well-stocked bar and beautiful glassware comes watermarks. Protect your favorite furniture pieces and start DIYing a few (like the rustic ones featured above) right now in order to make sure you have plenty to go around when the party date arrives. (via Brit + Co)
10. Cheeseboards: Every season there seems to be talk of a new or interesting way of arranging the ultimate cheese plate. Start looking for different pairings now — crackers, wines, international cheeses and even the trays themselves — to have the ultimate cheese spread ready to go by party time. Pick up this DIY wood-burnt cheeseboard kit ($40-$50) to make it even more special.
11. Napkin Rings: Somehow these rings go missing after every get-together, but that just gives you a reason to add a few more to your collection! This DIY is great since the foliage works for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. (via Hello Natural)
13. French Press: Always make sure your bean stock is high. Between late-night Irish coffees and early morning cleanup sessions, you’ll want to have the caffeine makers running at all hours for both you and your guests. If you don’t have a coffee maker, we highly recommend this copper french press ($60), which is so gorgeous it almost doubles as a sort of decor.
How many of you are entertaining for the holidays? Share in the comments below.