Here’s What Jenna Lyons Should Do After Leaving J. Crew
You can pretty much thank Jenna Lyons for making mismatching a thing. If you don’t think twice about pairing stripes with florals or sequins with, well, anything, it’s largely in part due to the J.Crew HBIC’s influence. Well, yesterday, the Creative Director and President announced her reign is coming to an end after nearly three decades at the company.
In a statement to Business of Fashion, J.Crew chief executive Mickey Drexler said, “Jenna and I got together and we both agreed it was time for a change…That being said, she’s got plans to do other things. It’s been a great run.” Somsack Sikhounmuong, current head of women’s design, will now be the company’s chief design officer.
Upon hearing this news, once we picked our jaws up off the floor, we got to thinking, “What will Jenna do next?” Since the print mix master hasn’t announced her plans yet, we did some speculation of our own. Here’s what we came up with. (Photo via Brad Barket/Getty Images for The Moth)
1. Start an eyeglasses line? Thick rims only, obvs.
2. Become an actress? She was on Girls. (Photo via Neilson Barnard/Getty)
3. Partner with Goop on a line of totally unnecessary and expensive sequin harem pants?
4. Launch a gender-neutral nail polish empire? (Lol. Just kidding, we know: All nail polish is gender neutral.)
5. Curate an exhibit titled “Bubble Necklaces: A Retrospective.” (Seriously, brands are still knocking that one off.)
6. Finally, admit that it was actually her in How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days? Guys:
All kidding aside, we truly cannot wait to hear what “The Woman Who Dresses America” will do next. She may end up at another retailer (a department store, perhaps?) or, should fortune smile upon us, start her own Jenna Lyons label (squee!)? Only time will tell. Until then, we will be right here, in our Breton stripes and our espadrilles, waiting with bated breath.
All hail the Queen. Long may she reign.
Want more style inspo? Follow us on Pinterest!
(Photo via Mireya Acierto/Getty)