Whether you’re celebrating in New Orleans or at home, Fat Tuesday, AKA Mardi Gras, is the perfect excuse for a party in the middle of the week. This year, let the good times roll with yummy food, Mardi Gras cocktails, Mardi Gras decor, ah-mazing DIYs, and everything in between. Scroll on for 20 festive ways to celebrate.
1. Mask Cake Topper: All you need to kick your cake up a notch is a mask topper, which is actually very easy to make. Pick up a blank mask on your next trip to the craft store, customize it to your liking, and glue skewers to it so it stands up straight. For such a simple project, it really packs a big punch on your dessert table. (via TrueBlu)
2. Masquerade Sugar Cookies: Speaking of your dessert table, these masquerade sugar cookies are too cute to not include. Make them extra appropriate for Mardi Gras with green, purple, and yellow or gold sanding sugars. A gold handle is the perfect finishing touch. (via Bake Love Give)
3. King Cake Jelly Shots: Fat Tuesday is the perfect excuse to try out a Jell-O shot recipe. Cake-flavored vodka gives a king cake taste, making these the perfect Mardi Gras shot. They’ll have your guests feeling like they’re partying on the streets of New Orleans. (via Tablespoon)
4. Twigs and Twirls Party Straws ($7): Pick up this set with purple, green, and gold options that are seriously perfect for your party.
5. Mardi Gras-Ritas: Speaking of those party straws, how good does this Mardi Gras-rita look? Answer: really, really good. To get the drink’s layered look, use pomegranate, mango, and lime-flavored marg mixes. Yep, it’s as easy as that. (via Home Is Where the Boat Is)
6. DIY Candle Votives: Update candle votives for your Mardi Gras theme using this idea: Pop a handful of confetti and glitter into your candle holders to create beautiful ambience. Pro tip: Def use battery powered candles (for safety) when using paper confetti in the votives :) (via Best Friends for Frosting)
7. Fresh Lemon Blossoms Mardi Gras Banner ($17): An essential on everyone’s party must-haves list should be a banner. Not only does it instantly upgrade your home into an uber festive party space, but you can also reuse it in the years to come.
8. King Cake Donuts: It wouldn’t be Fat Tuesday without a little decadence! Whip up a batch of these king cake donuts for all your Mardi Gras festivities. They’re oven-baked instead of deep-fried, so they’re basically super healthy, right? (via Hummingbird High)
9. Fleur De Lis Cocktail: In need of a cocktail to serve at your party? Opt for a Fleur De Lis cocktail to go with the Mardi Gras theme. Vodka, fruit juices, and St. Germain? Sign us up! (via Freutcake)
10. Masquerade Mask: When throwing a Mardi Gras party, every party-goer should have a masquerade mask. Get your DIY on and make yours unique with this tutorial. Feathers, glitter, and beads are sure to take any mask to the next level. (via Brit + Co)
11. Invitastic Invites Mardi Gras Birthday Invitation ($11+): If you’re tired of sending huge group texts to invite peeps to your party, go the traditional route and snag this snail mail. A bash with crawfish, king cake, and ice cold beer sounds like a good time, if you ask us.
12. Mini King Cakes: Mardi Gras is all about the king cakes. Follow this recipe using cinnamon rolls as the cake and icing to adhere the colored sugar. Talk about a nom-worthy dessert. (via Eclectic Recipes)
13. Traditional Beignets: Take a stab at making your own. It might take a little extra time, but the outcome is delish. Plus, anything topped off with *that* much powdered sugar is sure to taste amazing. (via Sugar and Charm)
17. Slow-Cooker Jambalaya: What better way to serve a large group than with an authentic NOLA slow cooker recipe! Simply add all ingredients, let stew for four hours, and voila — dinner is served! (via Delish)
18. Party Parts Fleur De Lis Confetti ($5): Themed confetti is the perf tabletop flair! Sprinkle on all exposed surfaces for easy (and oh-so-festive) party decor.
19. Big Dot of Happiness Mardi Gras Photo Booth Props ($20): No party is complete without a themed photo booth! Get your guests to strike a pose in Mardi Gras party mode with these sparkly props.
What’s your favorite way to celebrate Mardi Gras? Tweet us @BritandCo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.