17 Chic Ways to Style Your Bump for the Office
Your style-maven status might be going strong during the early months of pregnancy, but once you start to show, it can be hard to #dressthebump — especially when it comes to on-duty outfits. But just because you’re now dressing for two doesn’t mean your fashion sensibilities have to go totally out the window. We’ve rounded up 17 chic and super-easy maternity outfits to inspire your work-week wardrobe. Read on to get baby-bump-inspired.
1. Floral Maxi Dress: The ultimate one-and-done look, a pretty floral maxi keeps everything under wraps, while also giving off an effortless yet totally polished vibe. Add on a statement necklace and sleek heels or flats for a pretty and professional finish. (via Cella Jane)
2. Printed Sheath and Bright Blazer: You might be drawn to darker hues when your bump starts to really make itself known to the world, but definitely don’t banish brights and prints to the back of your closet. K&J prove that the two work together seamlessly to create a stunning work-appropriate getup. (via K&J Diaries)
3. Bright Pleated Dress and Pumps: Rachel Parcell takes maternity dressing to the next level with her perfectly pulled-together ensembles that give even the non-expecting among us some serious style envy. We’re loving this crazy colorful dress for spring with vibrant work-ready heels. For a more formal look, you can easily switch out the denim for a tailored jacket or blazer. (via Pink Peonies)
4. Sleeveless Blazer and Separates: Comfy separates come together for a totally modern, minimalist and undeniably stylish effect, but it’s the sleek sleeveless vest that is the real hero piece here. (via @lebrasseacoeur)
5. Wide Leg Trousers and Button-Down Blouse: Being preggo doesn’t have to mean leaving trends behind. Stay on top of your fashion game with wide-leg trousers and a half-tucked button-down shirt in a bold vertical-stripe pattern. (via Cleverly Yours)
6. Leather Pencil Skirt and Boxy Top: A leather pencil skirt? Nope, we’re not joking. And neither is Marie Hinkaer Wolthers — this boxy crop top and leather skirt mix is totally on point. Now that is what we mean when we say #maternitystyle. (via Blame It on Fashion)
7. Bermuda Shorts: When temperatures start to creep up, ditch the pants for a pair of Bermudas and a sharp top. Carefully curated accessories, like a cool chain collar, long drop earrings and a pair of block heels or wedges, will dress up the laid-back look in two seconds flat. (via Sara Stand)
8. Striped Dress and Bright Blazer: Horizontal stripes always seem to end up on pregnancy style “don’t” lists, but we think when they’re worn the right way, they can look pretty freakin’ awesome. Layering a short striped dress under a colorful blazer breaks up the pattern and creates a sort of optical illusion, making your bump blend in rather than stick out. (via Motherhood Closet)
9. Classic Wrap Dress: Wrap dresses are the epitome of working-lady chic, plus they’re incredibly comfortable. And since the waist is adjustable, you’ll be able to wear it post-baby too. (via Style by Alina)
11. Jumpsuit: A jumpsuit is always a good idea. This geometric onesie has plenty of style built right in, making it the perfect piece to throw on when you have 10 minutes to get out the door. (via Love Taza)
12. Classy Kimono and Trousers: A sophisticated kimono is the answer on days when your go-to toppers are leaving you feeling less than fabulous. Layer it over a classic cami and tailored trousers for an office-ready getup. (via My Daily Style)
14. Maxi Shirt Dress: We’re just a tiny bit bummed that Mira Duma finally had her baby, ’cause her maternity style was to die for. This linen maxi shirt dress is light, airy and ready to rock your morning meeting. While she keeps the accessories on the pared-down side, we think a few bold metallic touches at the collar or wrist would take this classic look to the next level. (via The Fashion Spot)
17. Mini Dress and Thigh-Skimming Boots: If you can’t bear to part with some of your favorite dresses despite a hemline that continues to creep mysteriously higher and higher, never fear. Balance out those shorter hemlines with over-the-knee boots to bring the frock back into work-appropriate territory. (via Blame It on Fashion)
What’s your favorite way to dress the bump for the office? Tell us about it in the comments!
Getting the word out about your brand takes time, drive, and ingenuity. And it doesn't come easy for many entrepreneurs. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're chatting with Selfmade alum Taylor Morgan McPherson, founder of Sustainable Sparkle Bar, about ways in which she scored press as a solo startup brand and what she learned from Selfmade to take her brand marketing up a notch.
B + C: How did you know Sustainable Sparkle Bar was your business to start?
Glitter has always been my thing, so when I started my event company I decided to make it my niche. I started telling people I threw glitter-themed parties where people would get sparkled with glitter body art and makeup. Six months after that I applied to my first festival and to work with SUR restaurant in West Hollywood.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
I honestly can't say that I've had a specific strategy that I've followed when it comes to getting my business off the ground. I have a PR background so I was just constantly pitching new business and posting on social media.
B + C: What's the biggest challenge you face as a small business owner?
I would say creating a stable income and revenue stream. With a seasonal, event-based business it can be very up and down.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
The relationships I made and the push to start an email database.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I love what I do and I believe in myself 100%. Staying motivated isn't the hard part. Pushing myself to do the work and staying accountable is the hard part.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip? Do you use any apps that help you manage your business?
I keep multiple to-do lists, hand-written and digital. I also tell clients and partners that I will have something to them by a certain time or day so I have to stick to it.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Just do it, take the leap. And don't worry about what anyone else says to thinks.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Issa Rae, I'm so inspired by everything that she's created being a creative and a black woman. It's my dream to have my own show one day based on my life and where I give advice and talk about the world. She's doing it and making people laugh and giving people joy. And it's based in LA. Watching Insecure only further cemented my dreams of wanting to live in LA.
B + C: How did you hear about the Office Depot scholarship?
One of my friends that I met through Camp No Counselors saw an IG ad for it and nominated me.
B + C: What has receiving the scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start/grow your business?
It's completely helped me level up and take my business to another level. Selfmade helped me host my first virtual event and taught me how to set up my website to sell tickets to events and get RSVPs.
B + C: How have Office Depot services or products helped you accomplish more in your business?
I got new cards to send in all of my orders with my discount code on them. I also bought a really cool 4K camera that I now use for my social media.
Let Office Depot OfficeMax help you stand out in the crowd. From signs, posters & banners to promote your business, to marketing materials to keep your customers informed, Office Depot OfficeMax offers a full suite of business services & solutions to help you & your business get noticed.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.