50 Hairspiration Ideas for Your Halloween Mermaid Costume
While July is known for beach bummin’ and daytrippin’ with your pals, we’re taking a break from our daily summer broadcast to talk about one of our fave holidays of the year: Halloween. That’s right. We’re trading our beach-babe glows and flippy floppies for Jack-o-laterns and PSLs. And with Halloween only three months away (!!!), it’s time to start planning what you’re going to be this year. And what’s the best costume to strut this season where you can showoff your post-summer tan? A mermaid costume. So we searched our site for the best mermaid hairspirations for you to rock with your mermaid costume. Scroll on for all 30 looks below.
2. Boho Side Braid: Banish unruly “I-only-had-a-minute” ‘dos with a braid. To get this romantic look, start with a side part, twist the hair at the nape of the neck around one side, then braid and go. (via Express-o)
8. Hints of the Sea: Add color to your mermaid braid with hair chalk to create eye-catching accents. Spot different parts of the braid throughout and don’t forget to add some to the tail end! (via Brit + Co)
11. FP Beachy Keen Hair Rings ($22): This girl is giving us serious Daryl-Hannah-circa-Splash vibes. Adorn your locks with seashell rings for a maritime take on your go-to boho style.
12. Fishtail Braids: We’d be remiss not to include some classic fishtail braids. Channel a more elegant look by starting your braid with a topsy tail, or bring on the whimsical charm with chunky braided pigtails. You simply can’t go wrong with this flawless, messy style.
13. Gray + Blue: On the hunt for new ways to transition your silvery style? Keep things cool by adding a splash of aqua to your on-trend granny hair for a dose of summer whimsy.
14. Multi-Braid Ponytail: While lying out in the sun is what many would describe as the *perf* beach day, what about the sporty gals among us? Rock a multi-fishtail ponytail for a ‘do that’s ideal for sunbathing and beach volleyball shenanigans alike.
15. Relaxed Braid: Give your mermaid tresses a poised and polished appeal. This relaxed style is perfect for reading by the water or attending your BFF’s beachside nuptials.
16. Off-Duty Model Braid: Forget the messy fishtail braid — you’re all about that sleek aesthetic. Give your fishtail hairstyle a modern edge by pairing the look with a trendy high pony. (via Brit + Co)
17. Dutch Fishtail: Now THIS is a mermaid ‘do! Create a voluminous, pulled-apart fishtail braid for a look that actually resembles a sea maiden’s tail.
18. Half-Up Triple Braids: What happens when you pair a fishtail with two small side braids? Something seriously stunning. The polished, anything-but-prissy ‘do is one you’ll want to take along on all your weekend adventures — it fits right in with a warm cup of tea and your favorite read. (via @allisonmcnamara)
19. Mixed Fishtail Braids: Sisters Mia and Linda know what’s up when it comes to braids, and this fusion fishtail is proof. A half-up fishtail with pulled sections that add volume to the final look is overlaid with two halo fishtail braids woven into one. Whip this one out when you’re ready to turn some heads. (via @aurorabraids)
20. Double Dutch Braids: Rainbow-colored locks are pretty statement-making on their own, but throw a pair of exaggerated Dutch braids into the mix and BAM — you have a knock-’em-dead everyday ‘do. Emphasize your braids for maximum effect with a touch of styling powder. (via Hair Romance)
21. Celtic Knot Braid: Meet the perfect St. Patty’s day hairstyle — a cute Celtic knot and flowing textured waves that offer a whole new way to show some Irish pride. Once March 17 has come and gone, look to this style to amp up your half-up hair game. (via Twist Me Pretty)
22. Corset Braid: Forget the Kardashian waist-training corset craze — here’s a corset that you’ll actually want to wear. The criss-cross detail brings a simple half-up style into attention-grabbing territory in seconds. Pencil it in for your next #OOTD, and watch as those double taps go through the roof. (via Twist Me Pretty)
23. Lazy Girl Rope Braid: A spritz of dry shampoo and a quick shake is your signature off-duty move, but sometimes even lazy girls need a little extra oomph. That’s where the rope braid comes into play. Two braids effortlessly combine into one to give your I-wanna-stay-in-bed getup an edgy polished touch. (via Brit + Co)
24. Frenchie Pony: French braids and an intricate twisted tie translate to a laid-back updo with major class. Whether you wear it to brunch or the bar, you’re guaranteed to straight-up stun. (via Brit + Co)
25. Textured Half-Up Crown Braid: In need of a mental vacation to get you through the week? Look no further than this beachy bombshell style. Textured waves and an asymmetric halo will whisk you away to sandy beaches without setting foot outside your door. (via Brit + Co)
26. Grown-Up Pigtails: The big-girl way to wear braids is finally here with classic boxer braids in your arsenal. Match up with a hoodie or your LBD for a fierce look with little fuss. (via@thisisayden)
27. Messy Fishtail Braid: A single braid can make a big impact. Add a chunky fishtail to the side of your hair for a quick and easy style boost. (via @kristin_ess)
28. Combo Braid: If you’re a braiding fiend, this is the look for you. You’ve got an awesome French fishtail in the front, flowing into an oversized Elsa-esque braid for the length. (via The Beauty Department)
33. Seeing Stars Headdress ($35): Want to make a bona fide statement? Channel your inner mermaid with this starfish headdress.
35. Five Minute Beachy Waves: You don’t have to be into intricate braids to master the hairstyle of a mermaid. In fact, you don’t even have to spend a lot of time. The proof: this five minute beachy waves tutorial. (via Wonder Forest)
36. Triple Starfish Headband ($23): It’s the headband no mermaid should be without. Whether you’re planning a dive “under the sea” or simply running errands around town, you’ll exude an inner water goddess vibe with this boho band.
37. Dutch Mermaid Side Braid: Maybe we’re a tad braid-obsessed but this slightly undone braid is THE effortless look for girls who are going for pretty with only minutes to get ready in the morning. Tease, braid, add a headband, grab your coffee and go, girl! (via Missy Sue)
39. Mermaid Ombre: Clearly unconventional, but then, mermaid babes should never opt for average. Be bold. Discover which ocean hue is right for you. Chalking is a fun option for girls who aren’t into a more permanent color change. (via Pravana)
40. Face-framing Mermaid Braid: Piece-y, deconstructed ‘dos are perfect for the girl who’s going for the mermaid vibe. Just don’t forget to do the head flip and a couple extra root spritzes of hairspray to achieve that desirable voluminous look. (via Style Me Pretty)
41. Sequin Headband and Messy Braid: The beauty of the messy braid is that it can be constructed in mere minutes. Allow some wisps of hair to escape the pony and frame your face for a softer look. (via A Beautiful Mess)
42. Braided Bun: The messy bun is making a comeback. The usual style involves basically tousling your hair into a messy bun and pinning it into place, but this amped-up version starts with a chic Dutch braid. Impressive! (via Barefoot Blonde)
45. Boho Side Braid: Banish unruly “I-only-had-a-minute” ‘dos with a braid. To get this romantic look, start with a side part, twist the hair at the nape of the neck around one side, then braid and go. (via Express-o)
46. Hippie Braids: Confession: We’re tempted to take the bedhead approach on a weekly basis. Good for us, tousled hair is totally making a comeback. Add a couple quick braids, and there you have it: You’ve mastered the mermaid mane. (via Barefoot Blonde)
48. Mermaid Halloween: The whole point of mermaid hair is that it doesn’t take any time to complete. Take this look for example. If you’ve got 10 minutes, you’ve got everything you need to become Ariel. (via Brit + Co)
50. Baja Starfish Hair Barrette ($10): The bun is generally a free-spirited look, but it can take on a more sophisticated or casual vibe depending on placement and accessories. In the mood to channel boho beach babe? Break out the starfish barrette!
What are going to be for Halloween? Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
(This story is an update to a previous post by Bethany Kosten.)
Getting the word out about your brand takes time, drive, and ingenuity. And it doesn't come easy for many entrepreneurs. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're chatting with Selfmade alum Taylor Morgan McPherson, founder of Sustainable Sparkle Bar, about ways in which she scored press as a solo startup brand and what she learned from Selfmade to take her brand marketing up a notch.
B + C: How did you know Sustainable Sparkle Bar was your business to start?
Glitter has always been my thing, so when I started my event company I decided to make it my niche. I started telling people I threw glitter-themed parties where people would get sparkled with glitter body art and makeup. Six months after that I applied to my first festival and to work with SUR restaurant in West Hollywood.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
I honestly can't say that I've had a specific strategy that I've followed when it comes to getting my business off the ground. I have a PR background so I was just constantly pitching new business and posting on social media.
B + C: What's the biggest challenge you face as a small business owner?
I would say creating a stable income and revenue stream. With a seasonal, event-based business it can be very up and down.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
The relationships I made and the push to start an email database.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I love what I do and I believe in myself 100%. Staying motivated isn't the hard part. Pushing myself to do the work and staying accountable is the hard part.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip? Do you use any apps that help you manage your business?
I keep multiple to-do lists, hand-written and digital. I also tell clients and partners that I will have something to them by a certain time or day so I have to stick to it.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Just do it, take the leap. And don't worry about what anyone else says to thinks.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Issa Rae, I'm so inspired by everything that she's created being a creative and a black woman. It's my dream to have my own show one day based on my life and where I give advice and talk about the world. She's doing it and making people laugh and giving people joy. And it's based in LA. Watching Insecure only further cemented my dreams of wanting to live in LA.
B + C: How did you hear about the Office Depot scholarship?
One of my friends that I met through Camp No Counselors saw an IG ad for it and nominated me.
B + C: What has receiving the scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start/grow your business?
It's completely helped me level up and take my business to another level. Selfmade helped me host my first virtual event and taught me how to set up my website to sell tickets to events and get RSVPs.
B + C: How have Office Depot services or products helped you accomplish more in your business?
I got new cards to send in all of my orders with my discount code on them. I also bought a really cool 4K camera that I now use for my social media.
Let Office Depot OfficeMax help you stand out in the crowd. From signs, posters & banners to promote your business, to marketing materials to keep your customers informed, Office Depot OfficeMax offers a full suite of business services & solutions to help you & your business get noticed.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.