While July is known for beach bummin’ and daytrippin’ with your pals, we’re taking a break from our daily summer broadcast to talk about one of our fave holidays of the year: Halloween. That’s right. We’re trading our beach-babe glows and flippy floppies for Jack-o-laterns and PSLs. And with Halloween only three months away (!!!), it’s time to start planning what you’re going to be this year. And what’s the best costume to strut this season where you can showoff your post-summer tan? A mermaid costume. So we searched our site for the best mermaid hairspirations for you to rock with your mermaid costume. Scroll on for all 30 looks below.
2. Boho Side Braid: Banish unruly “I-only-had-a-minute” ‘dos with a braid. To get this romantic look, start with a side part, twist the hair at the nape of the neck around one side, then braid and go. (via Express-o)
8. Hints of the Sea: Add color to your mermaid braid with hair chalk to create eye-catching accents. Spot different parts of the braid throughout and don’t forget to add some to the tail end! (via Brit + Co)
11. FP Beachy Keen Hair Rings ($22): This girl is giving us serious Daryl-Hannah-circa-Splash vibes. Adorn your locks with seashell rings for a maritime take on your go-to boho style.
12. Fishtail Braids: We’d be remiss not to include some classic fishtail braids. Channel a more elegant look by starting your braid with a topsy tail, or bring on the whimsical charm with chunky braided pigtails. You simply can’t go wrong with this flawless, messy style.
13. Gray + Blue: On the hunt for new ways to transition your silvery style? Keep things cool by adding a splash of aqua to your on-trend granny hair for a dose of summer whimsy.
14. Multi-Braid Ponytail: While lying out in the sun is what many would describe as the *perf* beach day, what about the sporty gals among us? Rock a multi-fishtail ponytail for a ‘do that’s ideal for sunbathing and beach volleyball shenanigans alike.
15. Relaxed Braid: Give your mermaid tresses a poised and polished appeal. This relaxed style is perfect for reading by the water or attending your BFF’s beachside nuptials.
16. Off-Duty Model Braid: Forget the messy fishtail braid — you’re all about that sleek aesthetic. Give your fishtail hairstyle a modern edge by pairing the look with a trendy high pony. (via Brit + Co)
17. Dutch Fishtail: Now THIS is a mermaid ‘do! Create a voluminous, pulled-apart fishtail braid for a look that actually resembles a sea maiden’s tail.
18. Half-Up Triple Braids: What happens when you pair a fishtail with two small side braids? Something seriously stunning. The polished, anything-but-prissy ‘do is one you’ll want to take along on all your weekend adventures — it fits right in with a warm cup of tea and your favorite read. (via @allisonmcnamara)
19. Mixed Fishtail Braids: Sisters Mia and Linda know what’s up when it comes to braids, and this fusion fishtail is proof. A half-up fishtail with pulled sections that add volume to the final look is overlaid with two halo fishtail braids woven into one. Whip this one out when you’re ready to turn some heads. (via @aurorabraids)
20. Double Dutch Braids: Rainbow-colored locks are pretty statement-making on their own, but throw a pair of exaggerated Dutch braids into the mix and BAM — you have a knock-’em-dead everyday ‘do. Emphasize your braids for maximum effect with a touch of styling powder. (via Hair Romance)
21. Celtic Knot Braid: Meet the perfect St. Patty’s day hairstyle — a cute Celtic knot and flowing textured waves that offer a whole new way to show some Irish pride. Once March 17 has come and gone, look to this style to amp up your half-up hair game. (via Twist Me Pretty)
22. Corset Braid: Forget the Kardashian waist-training corset craze — here’s a corset that you’ll actually want to wear. The criss-cross detail brings a simple half-up style into attention-grabbing territory in seconds. Pencil it in for your next #OOTD, and watch as those double taps go through the roof. (via Twist Me Pretty)
23. Lazy Girl Rope Braid: A spritz of dry shampoo and a quick shake is your signature off-duty move, but sometimes even lazy girls need a little extra oomph. That’s where the rope braid comes into play. Two braids effortlessly combine into one to give your I-wanna-stay-in-bed getup an edgy polished touch. (via Brit + Co)
24. Frenchie Pony: French braids and an intricate twisted tie translate to a laid-back updo with major class. Whether you wear it to brunch or the bar, you’re guaranteed to straight-up stun. (via Brit + Co)
25. Textured Half-Up Crown Braid: In need of a mental vacation to get you through the week? Look no further than this beachy bombshell style. Textured waves and an asymmetric halo will whisk you away to sandy beaches without setting foot outside your door. (via Brit + Co)
26. Grown-Up Pigtails: The big-girl way to wear braids is finally here with classic boxer braids in your arsenal. Match up with a hoodie or your LBD for a fierce look with little fuss. (via@thisisayden)
27. Messy Fishtail Braid: A single braid can make a big impact. Add a chunky fishtail to the side of your hair for a quick and easy style boost. (via @kristin_ess)
28. Combo Braid: If you’re a braiding fiend, this is the look for you. You’ve got an awesome French fishtail in the front, flowing into an oversized Elsa-esque braid for the length. (via The Beauty Department)
33. Seeing Stars Headdress ($35): Want to make a bona fide statement? Channel your inner mermaid with this starfish headdress.
35. Five Minute Beachy Waves: You don’t have to be into intricate braids to master the hairstyle of a mermaid. In fact, you don’t even have to spend a lot of time. The proof: this five minute beachy waves tutorial. (via Wonder Forest)
36. Triple Starfish Headband ($23): It’s the headband no mermaid should be without. Whether you’re planning a dive “under the sea” or simply running errands around town, you’ll exude an inner water goddess vibe with this boho band.
37. Dutch Mermaid Side Braid: Maybe we’re a tad braid-obsessed but this slightly undone braid is THE effortless look for girls who are going for pretty with only minutes to get ready in the morning. Tease, braid, add a headband, grab your coffee and go, girl! (via Missy Sue)
39. Mermaid Ombre: Clearly unconventional, but then, mermaid babes should never opt for average. Be bold. Discover which ocean hue is right for you. Chalking is a fun option for girls who aren’t into a more permanent color change. (via Pravana)
40. Face-framing Mermaid Braid: Piece-y, deconstructed ‘dos are perfect for the girl who’s going for the mermaid vibe. Just don’t forget to do the head flip and a couple extra root spritzes of hairspray to achieve that desirable voluminous look. (via Style Me Pretty)
41. Sequin Headband and Messy Braid: The beauty of the messy braid is that it can be constructed in mere minutes. Allow some wisps of hair to escape the pony and frame your face for a softer look. (via A Beautiful Mess)
42. Braided Bun: The messy bun is making a comeback. The usual style involves basically tousling your hair into a messy bun and pinning it into place, but this amped-up version starts with a chic Dutch braid. Impressive! (via Barefoot Blonde)
45. Boho Side Braid: Banish unruly “I-only-had-a-minute” ‘dos with a braid. To get this romantic look, start with a side part, twist the hair at the nape of the neck around one side, then braid and go. (via Express-o)
46. Hippie Braids: Confession: We’re tempted to take the bedhead approach on a weekly basis. Good for us, tousled hair is totally making a comeback. Add a couple quick braids, and there you have it: You’ve mastered the mermaid mane. (via Barefoot Blonde)
48. Mermaid Halloween: The whole point of mermaid hair is that it doesn’t take any time to complete. Take this look for example. If you’ve got 10 minutes, you’ve got everything you need to become Ariel. (via Brit + Co)
50. Baja Starfish Hair Barrette ($10): The bun is generally a free-spirited look, but it can take on a more sophisticated or casual vibe depending on placement and accessories. In the mood to channel boho beach babe? Break out the starfish barrette!
What are going to be for Halloween? Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
(This story is an update to a previous post by Bethany Kosten.)