8 New Ways to Braid Your Hair
So you’re a pro at basic braiding — you can criss cross your mane in a perfect fishtail, Dutch or French braid with your eyes closed. And now that you’ve nailed Braiding 101, it’s time to take your DIY hairstyling skills to the next level. That’s where this tutorial comes into play in a major way. We’re showing you eight different ways to turn your go-to braids into brand-new looks that are all photo-ready in just nine steps or less!
1. Give yourself a heavy side part and let the hair fall on the opposite side of your head.
2. Starting two inches in from the side of your head with the part, braid a two-inch section of hair, adding a small elastic when you reach the end.
3. Gently separate the braid to create more volume.
4. Lift up a two-inch section of hair on the opposite side of your head. Then wrap the braid around your forehead and pin it underneath the lifted section.
5. Use bobby pins in a cross pin form to secure the braid in place, then drop the section of hair back over the pins to hide them.
Annnd that’s a wrap! :)
1. Part your hair in two sections and back comb each section with a wide tooth comb to create lots of messy texture and volume.
2. Beginning at your cheekbones, gently fishtail braid both sections — be careful not to smooth down the texture too much while braiding.
3. Secure each end with a small elastic.
4. Gently separate the braid to loosen and even let some stray hairs stick out to get the pretty-messy look.
This style is a grown-up way to wear pigtails, that’s for sure!
1. Separate your hair into three sections.
Triple French Twist Bun
2. Braid each section.
3. Pull braids slightly apart to loosen.
4. Twist up the middle section into a bun and secure with bobby pins.
5. Pull apart the remaining braids a little more and twist them up one at a time on top of the original bun to create one big braided bun.
6. Once the braids are stacked, bobby pin any areas that feel loose.
We’re dazzled by this intricate ‘do, but DON’T let out the secret that it was sooo easy!
1. Gather three small sections at the top of your head and braid back from your temple towards your ear.
2. When you get to the point where the braid is noticeable, drop the bottom section of the braid down into the hair and replace it with another same-sized section from underneath.
3. Continue this braiding all the way around your head.
4. Once you reach the other side, secure with a small elastic that’s easily hidden.
This might be the most effortless hairstyle of them all! Keep your locks in a down-do for the most etherial take on this look.
1. Section the center part of your hair into a triangle shape and pin up with a clip.
2. French braid both side sections and secure each braid at the nape of your neck with a small elastic.
3. Then pull the ponytails together and secure with a small elastic at the base of the triangle section.
4. Back comb the entire top section of hair.
5. Now twist up the ponytail and secure it with bobby pins.
6. Loosely French braid the top section of your hair working your way towards the back.
7. When you get about half way down, place in bobby pins to hold the shape.
8. Continue to the ends with a traditional braid and secure with a small elastic.
9. Wrap up the remaining braid and secure it at the base of your neck with bobby pins.
Unleash your inner rockstar with this edgy updo!
1. Part your hair down the center.
2. Begin the Dutch braid (remember: go underneath instead of over the top) into the top of one of the sections of your hair.
3. Continue on until you get to the nape of your neck and secure with a small elastic.
4. Repeat on the other side.
5. Loosen both braids on top to create a softer silhouette.
6. Braid both ponytails and secure at the ends with a small elastic.
7. Bring up one of the braids over the top of your head like a headband and gently weave it through the Dutch braids on top of your head.
8. Secure with a bobby pin.
9. Repeat on the other side and secure with a bobby pin.
You won’t have to worry about one single hair being out of place (or in your face!) with this all-over braided look.
1. Place a heavy side part into your hair.
2. Start a French braid on the heavier side of your hair.
3. When you get just past the side of your head, begin picking up sections of hair from underneath and continue on until you get to the end.
4. Place the braided section down for now and back comb the top portion of your hair behind the braid at the roots.
5. Pull back all of your hair along with the braided strand and tie off with an elastic that is strong enough to hold it all in place.
6. Re-braid the end of the French braided strand that is now in the ponytail.
7. Wrap the braid around the elastic to disguise it and pin it in place.
This hairdo is so dreamy it’s bridal-worthy, though it’s ready to rock any time you need to polish your pony.
1. Brush the front side section of your hair off to one side.
2. Pull up the rest of your hair into a high ponytail.
3. Take one small section from the front portion of hair you left off to the side and two sections of hair from the ponytail and begin to braid in the center of the side of your head.
4. Continue pulling from the front section of hair as well as the pony to make the braid curve down and around towards the back of your head.
5. Continue braiding up and around into the other side of your head.
6. When you run out of hair to pick up from the front section and the ponytail, continue with a traditional braid down to the ends of your hair then secure with an elastic.
7. Wrap up the braid into a bun and secure it with bobby pins.
This chic updo should be your go-to look for every formal affair you RSVPed to this summer. Just make sure your +1 looks just as good ;)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)