11 Mermaid Hairstyles Ariel Would Totally Approve Of
As the weather heats up, one thing is abundantly clear: It’s almost time to hit the beach! While we spend the next few weeks hunting for the perfect swim attire and maybe finally start hitting the gym (remember those NYE resolutions?), let’s also turn our makeover efforts toward achieving that Insta-worthy summer hair, inspired by none other than our favorite nautical goddesses. From boho braids to ocean-inspired hair colors that hit the rainbow hair trend on the head, we’ve got the mermaid hairstyles that’ll give you that sought-after ethereal charm. Scroll through these 11 Ariel-approved hairdos and find the perfect look for an enchanting summer.
1. Aqua Ombre: Daring enough to dye your locks this summer? Give the typical mermaid color a refreshing ombre twist with a deep aqua tone fading into a light, minty shade.
2. FP Beachy Keen Hair Rings ($22): This girl is giving us serious Daryl-Hannah-circa-Splash vibes. Adorn your locks with seashell rings for a maritime take on your go-to boho style.
3. Fishtail Braids: We’d be remiss not to include some classic fishtail braids. Channel a more elegant look by starting your braid with a topsy tail, or bring on the whimsical charm with chunky braided pigtails. You simply can’t go wrong with this flawless, messy style.
4. Gray + Blue: On the hunt for new ways to transition your silvery style? Keep things cool by adding a splash of aqua to your on-trend granny hair for a dose of summer whimsy.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Margarita Calderón (@margaritamermaid) on
5. Boho Braid: Who said princess hairstyles and boho chic couldn’t be one in the same? Add low, loose fishtail braids to your beachy ‘do for a soft and sweet fairytale look.
6. Multi-Braid Ponytail: While lying out in the sun is what many would describe as the *perf* beach day, what about the sporty gals among us? Rock a multi-fishtail ponytail for a ‘do that’s ideal for sunbathing and beach volleyball shenanigans alike.
7. Deep Blue: Strut your stuff on the beach rocking a color as blue as the ocean. This stunning hue will make you the #hairenvy of every gal on the beach.
8. Relaxed Braid: Give your mermaid tresses a poised and polished appeal. This relaxed style is perfect for reading by the water or attending your BFF’s beachside nuptials.
9. Free People Cowrie Shell Headband ($34): The daughters of Triton got nothing on you. Hit the shore looking positively royal with a seashell crown fit for a queen (of the sea).
10. Off-Duty Model Braid: Forget the messy fishtail braid — you’re all about that sleek aesthetic. Give your fishtail hairstyle a modern edge by pairing the look with a trendy high pony. (via Brit + Co)
11. Dutch Fishtail: Now THIS is a mermaid ‘do! Create a voluminous, pulled-apart fishtail braid for a look that actually resembles a sea maiden’s tail.
What summer hairstyles will you be rocking this summer? Follow us on Pinterest for more genius hair hacks and inspo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.