11 Mermaid Hairstyles Ariel Would Totally Approve Of
As the weather heats up, one thing is abundantly clear: It’s almost time to hit the beach! While we spend the next few weeks hunting for the perfect swim attire and maybe finally start hitting the gym (remember those NYE resolutions?), let’s also turn our makeover efforts toward achieving that Insta-worthy summer hair, inspired by none other than our favorite nautical goddesses. From boho braids to ocean-inspired hair colors that hit the rainbow hair trend on the head, we’ve got the mermaid hairstyles that’ll give you that sought-after ethereal charm. Scroll through these 11 Ariel-approved hairdos and find the perfect look for an enchanting summer.
1. Aqua Ombre: Daring enough to dye your locks this summer? Give the typical mermaid color a refreshing ombre twist with a deep aqua tone fading into a light, minty shade.
2. FP Beachy Keen Hair Rings ($22): This girl is giving us serious Daryl-Hannah-circa-Splash vibes. Adorn your locks with seashell rings for a maritime take on your go-to boho style.
3. Fishtail Braids: We’d be remiss not to include some classic fishtail braids. Channel a more elegant look by starting your braid with a topsy tail, or bring on the whimsical charm with chunky braided pigtails. You simply can’t go wrong with this flawless, messy style.
4. Gray + Blue: On the hunt for new ways to transition your silvery style? Keep things cool by adding a splash of aqua to your on-trend granny hair for a dose of summer whimsy.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Margarita Calderón (@margaritamermaid) on
5. Boho Braid: Who said princess hairstyles and boho chic couldn’t be one in the same? Add low, loose fishtail braids to your beachy ‘do for a soft and sweet fairytale look.
6. Multi-Braid Ponytail: While lying out in the sun is what many would describe as the *perf* beach day, what about the sporty gals among us? Rock a multi-fishtail ponytail for a ‘do that’s ideal for sunbathing and beach volleyball shenanigans alike.
7. Deep Blue: Strut your stuff on the beach rocking a color as blue as the ocean. This stunning hue will make you the #hairenvy of every gal on the beach.
8. Relaxed Braid: Give your mermaid tresses a poised and polished appeal. This relaxed style is perfect for reading by the water or attending your BFF’s beachside nuptials.
9. Free People Cowrie Shell Headband ($34): The daughters of Triton got nothing on you. Hit the shore looking positively royal with a seashell crown fit for a queen (of the sea).
10. Off-Duty Model Braid: Forget the messy fishtail braid — you’re all about that sleek aesthetic. Give your fishtail hairstyle a modern edge by pairing the look with a trendy high pony. (via Brit + Co)
11. Dutch Fishtail: Now THIS is a mermaid ‘do! Create a voluminous, pulled-apart fishtail braid for a look that actually resembles a sea maiden’s tail.
What summer hairstyles will you be rocking this summer? Follow us on Pinterest for more genius hair hacks and inspo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.