11 Mermaid Hairstyles Ariel Would Totally Approve Of
As the weather heats up, one thing is abundantly clear: It’s almost time to hit the beach! While we spend the next few weeks hunting for the perfect swim attire and maybe finally start hitting the gym (remember those NYE resolutions?), let’s also turn our makeover efforts toward achieving that Insta-worthy summer hair, inspired by none other than our favorite nautical goddesses. From boho braids to ocean-inspired hair colors that hit the rainbow hair trend on the head, we’ve got the mermaid hairstyles that’ll give you that sought-after ethereal charm. Scroll through these 11 Ariel-approved hairdos and find the perfect look for an enchanting summer.
1. Aqua Ombre: Daring enough to dye your locks this summer? Give the typical mermaid color a refreshing ombre twist with a deep aqua tone fading into a light, minty shade.
2. FP Beachy Keen Hair Rings ($22): This girl is giving us serious Daryl-Hannah-circa-Splash vibes. Adorn your locks with seashell rings for a maritime take on your go-to boho style.
3. Fishtail Braids: We’d be remiss not to include some classic fishtail braids. Channel a more elegant look by starting your braid with a topsy tail, or bring on the whimsical charm with chunky braided pigtails. You simply can’t go wrong with this flawless, messy style.
4. Gray + Blue: On the hunt for new ways to transition your silvery style? Keep things cool by adding a splash of aqua to your on-trend granny hair for a dose of summer whimsy.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Margarita Calderón (@margaritamermaid) on
5. Boho Braid: Who said princess hairstyles and boho chic couldn’t be one in the same? Add low, loose fishtail braids to your beachy ‘do for a soft and sweet fairytale look.
6. Multi-Braid Ponytail: While lying out in the sun is what many would describe as the *perf* beach day, what about the sporty gals among us? Rock a multi-fishtail ponytail for a ‘do that’s ideal for sunbathing and beach volleyball shenanigans alike.
7. Deep Blue: Strut your stuff on the beach rocking a color as blue as the ocean. This stunning hue will make you the #hairenvy of every gal on the beach.
8. Relaxed Braid: Give your mermaid tresses a poised and polished appeal. This relaxed style is perfect for reading by the water or attending your BFF’s beachside nuptials.
9. Free People Cowrie Shell Headband ($34): The daughters of Triton got nothing on you. Hit the shore looking positively royal with a seashell crown fit for a queen (of the sea).
10. Off-Duty Model Braid: Forget the messy fishtail braid — you’re all about that sleek aesthetic. Give your fishtail hairstyle a modern edge by pairing the look with a trendy high pony. (via Brit + Co)
11. Dutch Fishtail: Now THIS is a mermaid ‘do! Create a voluminous, pulled-apart fishtail braid for a look that actually resembles a sea maiden’s tail.
What summer hairstyles will you be rocking this summer? Follow us on Pinterest for more genius hair hacks and inspo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Back in January, we introduced you to a feel-good cause to inspire your New Year's resolution: a walking challenge to help raise funds for the amazing cancer fighters at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I took part in the challenge with the Brit + Co team and ended up walking 105+ miles in January — it was awesome.
This spring, there's a new challenge on the horizon, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Big Climb. The ask: On May 15, 2021, you can step up to take cancer down by committing to climb 1,311 steps, walking 3.2 miles, or doing 440 chair step-ups at home as part of the Big Climb. If you need some motivation to bring movement back into your daily routine — look no further!
As always, it's free to sign up, but climbers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal to help beat cancer. We'll be organizing another Brit + Co team to step up, and I hope you'll join us too! Keep scrolling for a peek at where I'll be completing the challenge in my Los Angeles neighborhood around the hidden Silver Lake Stairs. Happy climbing!
Never underestimate the power of an accountability buddy! I asked my in-laws, my partner, and a few friends to join me so we can keep each other motivated and accountable in completing the challenge — virtual high-fives all around! Also, my dog Fox is a great climber, too.
An aesthetically pleasing backdrop is a huge motivator for me! I'm fortunate to have all sorts of painted steps around my neighborhood to keep the challenge interesting, but you can also keep cool inside with at-home chair step-ups.
Don't forget to share your progress on social — #BigClimb!
Feel free to break the challenge up if you need to by tackling half the distance in the AM and half at sunset. Here's me 1,311 steps later and ready for a break — but, think I earned this one!