12 Below-the-Knee Dresses You’ll Want to Wear All Winter Long
You’re biting the bullet and donning a dress to your holiday parties (the excuse to wear that sequin party dresss is just too good to pass up), but when you’re not rockin’ around the Christmas tree, you want to stay warm. A dress, then, isn’t the first piece of clothing that comes to mind — bare legs in the winter is just so not okay (see ya, minis! hello, tights!) while a maxi will annoyingly drag through the snow. That’s where midi dresses come in. They’re the perfect in-betweener, only showing a little skin (to get you to step up your sock game, of course) and perfectly bridge the gap between cozy and stylish. Scroll through our 12 favorite below-the-knee dresses, then see if you’re still so stuck on the idea of 24/7 trousers.
1. Anthropologie Carnaby Maxi Dress ($328): The enlarged gingham pattern, tomato-red color and voluminous kimono sleeves make this frock feel cutting edge. Glove shoes would take this to an of-the-moment place, or you could toss on ankle booties to give it a more down-to-earth feel.
2. ASOS Midi Dress in Knit With Tie-Front Detail ($63): You can ditch the belt with this tie-front piece. Throw on a thin turtleneck and above-the-knee boots for a chic full-coverage look.
3. Reformation Alicia Dress ($118): Swap out your LBD for something much more fierce. Make this sexy number more weather appropriate with a faux fur jacket, sheer tights and heeled booties that can handle the slush.
4. ASOS Hotfix Ergonomic Cap Sleeve Midi Dress ($69): When a body con dress is this stylish, all you need is a pair of matching metallic heels and a sleek clutch to complete your look. Anything more would just distract from the to-die-for embellishments.
5. Zara Lace Dress ($100): When putting on a shirt and a skirt is just too much effort but you want that separates kinda look, go for this stylish onesie. Wear a black bandeau bra under the lace and pair with some black stilettos for a fancy night out.
6. & Other Stories Cubist Print Dress ($95): Be a walking work of art with this pattern-play dress that would complement a pair of structural platforms and chunky ceramic jewelry perfectly.
7. Free People Monmarte Sweater Dress ($380): Keep it cozy and carefree with this red ombré sweater dress that can be kept casual with crisp white sneaks or dressed way, way up with velvet booties and a slim silk scarf.
8. Anthropologie Meralda Silk Dress ($375): Go light and airy with this silky dress. Wear some killer statement earrings and a pair of block heels to ground the look.
9. ASOS TALL Wiggle Dress With Split Front ($76): This dress is the ultimate in pared-down sophistication. Temper the high-cut front slit with easy heels and accessorize with a bold necklace.
10. Silence + Noise Sadie Satin Midi Slip Dress ($98): The slip dress is the most versatile of the season. The satin material is smooth, while the glimmer is striking enough for the dance floor. Don an oversized sweater and tennis shoes to make it the ultimate in luxe loungewear.
11. COS Tie-Front Dress ($125): Let the bright and bold color do the talking with this modest dress. Dainty rings and menswear oxfords complete the understated-cool vibe.
12. The Fifth Label into The Sun Dress ($100): Stand out in a sea of winter colors with this stark black + white number. Pair the geometric pattern and high neck with equally current chunky shoes and minimal-modern jewelry.
Are you digging this below-the-knee trend as much as we are? Shout out to us on Twitter and let’s chat.