14 Street Style Shots from Milan to Inspire Your Winter Look
During Milan’s Menswear Fashion Week, photographer Vanni Bassetti of Getty captured looks on the street, and what he found has us (almost) wishing for even more cold days so we can rock some of these cold-weather styles. Just because you have to layer up doesn’t mean you can’t make the look your own. These street style mavens know how to accessorize a winter coat, adding unexpected pops of color to make their look Fashion Week-worthy. So let’s keep it toasty, shall we?
1. Pants-less in the Winter: Who needs leggings when you’ve got over-the-knee boots? With a chunky oversized sweater and the most perfect cat-eyed sunglasses, this look has us all wondering, “Is she wearing shorts under there?” (Photo by Vanni Bassetti/Getty Images)
2. Blue Hues: There’s something so classic and slightly Scandinavian about this gray-blue combo. We noticed so many women in Milan wearing their coats like capes, so we’re going to go ahead and snag their sophisticated style. (Photo by Vanni Bassetti/Getty Images)
3. Long Plaid Coat: We’re getting slight Seattle-grunge vibes from this look, in a high-fashion way. This vintage ensemble pulls together so many earthy tones, topped off by an adorably skater-boy knit hat. (Photo by Vanni Bassetti/Getty Images)
4. Menswear Inspired: This oversized Rick Owens coat not only looks super warm, but also super stylish, especially with the pop of the Alexander McQueen top underneath. Her understated jewelry gives this menswear-inspired look the feminine touch it needs. A closer look reveals understated jewelry and a slouchy clutch that’s to die for. How much do you love that shade of orange? (Photo by Vanni Bassetti/Getty Images)
5. Perfect Faux Fur Hat: Elena looks super cozy in her Russian-inspired faux fur hat, which has us wondering if we could pull off the look as well as she does. Her red sweater is reflected in her whimsical choice of red socks, which pull it all together. Gotta keep the feet warm, you know. A close-up on her ViaVela14 shoes shows just how much fun personalized accessories can be. These Italian shoes come with velcro letters, so you monogram them yourself. (Photo by Vanni Bassetti/Getty Images)
6. A Little Bit Nautical: We love a touch of nautical, especially when it’s accented by awesome leopard-print shoes. Plus, you can’t go wrong with a navy peacoat. A close-up shows her killer green Prada clutch, which looks like it could fit everything you need and more. And that kelly green is on point. (Photo by Vanni Bassetti/Getty Images)
7. Boho Hat: Sometimes, a classic camel coat is all you need to look like a fashionista. But throw on a great felt boho hat, and your look is complete. Her Fjallraven bag might seem like the practical choice, but it ties the whole schoolgirl-chic look together. And we never hated a bag for being practical. (Photo by Vanni Bassetti/Getty Images)
8. Kerchief Skirt: A kerchief skirt doesn’t have to be limited to warm-weather ensembles when it’s accented with leather and a turtleneck. This look is total rock-and-roll gypsy, but with beautiful minimal jewelry. (Photo by Vanni Bassetti/Getty Images)
9. Furry Details: Nothing keeps you as warm as faux fur does, so why not keep your belongings warm as well? That bag adds a trendy pop of color to this look, while the baby blue faux fur stole, accented with what looks like feathers, is too much fun. (Photo by Vanni Bassetti/Getty Images)
10. ‘70s Style: Between the coat and the geometric silk scarf, we’re definitely getting ‘70s vibes from this look. Her style reminds us of the fresh-faced supermodels of a different era. (Photo by Vanni Bassetti/Getty Images)
11. Shades of Gray: From white to black, this look runs the gray color spectrum. We love her platinum hair, and those Fendi sunglasses are calling our name. This is just more proof that a long wool coat is the perfect signature statement piece for the winter. (Photo by Vanni Bassetti/Getty Images)
12. Leather Look: This leather ensemble is actually a Calvin Klein dress that looks as fierce as it does warm. Who needs a coat when your dress does double duty? (Photo by Vanni Bassetti/Getty Images)
13. Open Toes: Your toes don’t have to go into hiding in the winter. A wintry open-toe platform heel is totally acceptable, and when you’re wrapped up in a cocoon like this Ferragamo long coat, you won’t even be worried about feeling a chill. (Photo by Vanni Bassetti/Getty Images)
14. Splash of Hot Pink: Any monochromatic look needs a good splash of color, and hot pink is obviously the best choice. Also, when you’re rocking a coat you designed yourself at Milan’s Menswear Fashion Week, like Joy Lee, you can wear tights with your Nikes any time you want. (Photo by Vanni Bassetti/Getty Images)
So do you need a long wool coat now or what? What about a new faux fur accessory? Let us know in the comments!
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.