DIY the 19 Most Wanted Costumes of the Year
It’s official. The numbers are in, and we’ve got the 19 most-searched costumes of the year according to Yahoo Search Trend Expert Lauren Whitehouse. Exciting, right? Some of them are Halloween tradition and others are super trendy. No matter which camp they fall in, we’ve found DIY inspiration for every single one. Dress up your kiddos, yourself or you and your friends in this year’s most loved costumes.
1. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: There are a lot of ways to dress up as these reptilian brothers, but this is one of our favorites. Just spandex, card stock, paint and a DIY turtle shell. Put it all together, and cowabunga! (via Big DIY Ideas)
3.Star Wars: This one doesn’t have to be made for kids, but how absolutely adorable is this? Melissa of Melly Sews has everything you need to know to get your little ones into character. (via Melly Sews)
7. Monster High, Frankie Stein: This team of monster dolls seems like they were made for Halloween, so it’s no surprise that they’re a hit with the kiddos. Some funky pattern mixing, face paint and a killer wig are your way to Monster High fame. (via Anglerz)
8. Olaf: Well, dressing as Olaf can’t get any comfier than this. If you want bonus points, you could put padding underneath to make it look like your torso is a round ball of snow. (via All for the Boys)
11. Minnie Mouse: Got a black shirt? How about a red skirt? Surely, you have black tights. Great, just give yourself a hair bow that’ll act as mouse ears and embark on this makeup tutorial. Costume done. (via Talking Trash + Wasting Time)
12. Alice in Wonderland: Oh, goodness. We’re going to go back to this family costume as much as we can because it’s just so genius. If you can make a group costume into a family affair for Halloween bonding, by all means, do it. (via instagraph)
13. Little Red Riding Hood: This blogger not only dressed up as Little Red, her husband dressed up as the wolf dressed in Grandma’s nighties. Rest assured, both are pretty easy to accomplish. (via Lemon Squeezy Home)
14. Great Gatsby: We already loved The Great Gatsby, but when Baz Luhrmann brought the characters to the big screen, we could relive some of our favorite literary characters in a whole new way. Give it another watch and mimic a costume of Daisy’s or Gatsby’s. DIYing an entire bedazzled or befeathered dress might be a stretch (though it is doable), but you can totally handle making yourself one knockout headband. (via Buzzfeed)
16. Maleficent: It’s all about the makeup when you’re transforming into Maleficent. Of course, you may not have an entire crew to do it like Angelina did, but Refinery29 made do just fine. (via Refinery 29)
What’s your favorite from this year’s most-searched costumes? Let us know in the comments!