10 Must-Read Adult Books Out in January
With the holidays now officially over, we can finally ditch our year-end stress and enjoy winter like we’re supposed to (AKA with a good read, a toasty fire and tacky winter PJs). But, unfortunately, not all of us were lucky enough to score cool new reads in our stockings this year. That’s why we’re listing 10 brand new books out in January that we can’t wait to binge read. So make yourself a cup of tea, get cozy in your adorable reading nook and let’s get started!
3. The Upstarts by Brad Stone ($32): If you’ve ever wondered how companies like Uber and Airbnb got so ubiquitous, this is just the non-fiction pick for you. With a detailed and revealing account of the companies’ rise and commentary on why they succeeded in the way they did, Brad Stone’s newest read is interesting, informed and oh-so-timely.
4. The Wicked City by Beatriz Williams ($27): Seamlessly weaving together the stories of a modern Manhattanite and a Jazz-Age flapper, this can’t-miss new novel is perfect for the gal who should have been born in the ‘20s.
5. Right Behind You by Lisa Gardner ($27): Eight years ago, Sharlah’s brother beat their drunken father to death with a baseball bat in order to save both their lives. Now, he’s back… but this time he might be responsible for a double murder. Definitely one to read with all the lights on.
7. I Liked My Life by Abby Fabiaschi ($26): This powerful debut novel is about a wife and mother who commits suicide to the utter shock of her family. But the departed matron isn’t quite ready to leave her family behind and continues to watch over them, even trying to find them a suitable replacement for herself. It’s heartbreaking, smart and a definite page-turner.
8. The Sleepwalker by Chris Bohjalian ($27): If you or anyone you know sleepwalks, you’ll definitely want to pick up this creepy read. When known sleepwalker Annalee Ahlberg goes missing one night, everyone fears she might be dead. But a mysterious investigation and odd circumstances lead her children to question if this was really a sleepwalking accident… or something else completely.
9. Explore/Create by Richard Garriott ($27): Son of legendary scientist-astronaut, Richard Garriott has always been an advocate for exploring the world and mindfully creating. In this telling memoir (complete with puzzles, tricks and hidden codes!), learn his secret to staying creative and gain valuable insight into his crazy-interesting history. Plus, if you weren’t otherwise convinced, the book has been praised by the likes of Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, Stephen Hawking and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk (not that we’re name-dropping).
10. Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk by Kathleen Rooney ($26): If you read anything this January, this should be it. Told from the fresh perspective of 85-year-old poet Lillian Boxfish as she takes a 10-mile walk across New York City, it’s smart, hilarious and completely mesmerizing.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)