Nom Nom Paleo’s Cumin Cilantro Cauliflower Rice Recipe Is a Perfect 10
Don’t get me wrong; plump grains of perfectly steamed rice are a glorious thing, but more often than not, I’ll take a skillet full of its cauliflower cousin over the real deal. When done right, cauliflower rice is quite tasty in its own right; it’s much lighter and provides tons of fiber, making it an excellent accompaniment to everything from carnitas to garlic-ginger kale. The secret to success when cooking this quasi-grain is simple, and not much different than with traditional rice: Either pair the mild vegetable with a boldly flavored main or, as in this case, dress up the cauliflower rice itself.
This version, a Chipotle-esque take made with plenty of garlic, onions, lime, and cumin, is my current favorite way to enjoy the Paleo-friendly side. It, and many other easy, crazy good Paleo recipes like Cantonese crispy chicken thighs, roasted Catalan shrimp with romesco sauce, and garam masala vegetable soup, can be found in Nom Nom Paleo’s newish cookbook Ready or Not ($35). If you’re looking for doable Paleo (and in many cases, Whole30-compliant) recipes that are actually exciting (read: drawing on an international pantry), I’d highly recommend picking up a copy.
CUMIN CILANTRO LIME CAULIFLOWER RICE RECIPE
Adapted from Ready or Not: 150+ Make-Ahead, Make-Over, and Make-Now Recipes by Nom Nom Paleo by Michelle Tam and Henry Fong, copyright © 2017. Published by Andrews McMeel Publishing, LLC.
(Makes 6 servings)
- Grating peeled garlic cloves on a microplane is quicker and more thorough than mincing garlic the traditional way.
- You can use either whole or ground cumin seeds; I like the texture that the seeds add, but use whatever you have on hand.
- The cauliflower rice is at its best freshly cooked, but leftovers can be refrigerated for up to four days.
- Heavy on cumin, cilantro, and lime, this cauliflower rice might seem wholly Mexican in flavor, but it also pairs well with Indian fare.
- 2 Tablespoons neutral oil, such as refined coconut or avocado oil
- 1 small yellow or white onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 medium cauliflower head, riced (or 20 ounces fresh or frozen riced cauliflower)
- 1/2 cup minced cilantro
- zest and juice from 2 limes
- Add the oil to a large skillet set over medium heat.
- Once the oil is shimmering, add the diced onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the garlic, salt, and cumin, stir, and cook for 30 seconds, or until fragrant with garlic and spice.
- Add the riced cauliflower, stir well.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes, or until tender but not mushy.
- Add the cilantro, lime zest, and juice. Season to taste with additional salt, if needed.
- Serve hot.
Share your Paleo dinner creations with us on Instagram @BritandCo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Photo via Nicole Perry / Brit + Co)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)