Your New Year’s Eve ensemble is kind of a big deal — not only does it serve as the peak of your 2016 style, but it also sets the tone for where you’re going, sartorially speaking, in the year to come. Before you get wrapped up in your style resolutions for 2017, give yourself a chance to go outside your comfort zone. NYE presents the perfect opportunity to test the waters as far as your threads go, experimenting with new silhouettes, fabrics and prints. Haven’t tried velvet? Go for it, girl! Statement socks? Why not?! Patent leather? Yes, please! Anything — and everything — is fair game. Of course, a great place to start is with the list below. We’ve curated a scene-stealing collection of ready-to-fête frocks that are guaranteed to put all the style points in your corner. Not a bad way to kick off the New Year, if we say so ourselves.
1. & Other Stories Ruby Sequin Dress ($125): So much YAS. Ringing in the New Year in full-on fashion-goddess form becomes an exercise in effortlessness with this red hot number on hand. Own the night by teaming it with velvet pointed-toe ankle boots, a sleek ‘do and perfectly painted pout.
2. H&M Short Sequinned Dress ($70): Peachy keen sequins and a low-key t-shirt silhouette (with an OMG-worthy back, no less) is a sure thing as far as NYE dressing goes. If the sparkle is a lot for your typically understated style, plan to style it alongside streamlined accessories (think: minimalist baubles or an architectural clutch) that add an extra layer of polish without landing your getup in OTT territory. Another idea? Step into a pair of chic sneakers or distressed denim for an easy dressed-up-dressed-down look.
3. Motel Finn Sequin Mini Slip Dress ($89): Shy away from the spotlight? You wouldn’t dare. This sultry slip dress was made with the daring fashion diva in mind, with its mini silhouette and oversized circle sequin shag. Best believe all eyes will be on you when you step into the room. Not diggin’ the barely there design? Simply layer it over a tulle dress or classic white tee for a more pared-down (though no less ah-mazing) aesthetic.
4. Nasty Gal Collection Dancing Out in Space Beaded Maxi Dress ($298): For an unforgettable NYE ensemble that’ll go down in history, you need to invest in this celestial maxi, like, yesterday. With statement-making chandelier earrings and slightly tousled waves, you’ll easily be the best-dressed babe by the punch bowl.
5. Zara Velvet Dress With Cutout Shoulders ($70): Hello, LBD of our dreams. Luxe velvet and a cold-shoulder silhouette give a timeless A-line dress a serious street style edge. Who needs embellishments and OTT accoutrements when keepin’ things classic looks this good? Team with a dramatic burgundy lip, statement studs and sharp ankle boots FTW.
6. Topshop Boutique Velvet Drape Slip Dress ($180): If you were as obsessed with Victoria Beckham’s Spring 2017 collection as we were, we’re pretty sure you’ll flip over this ethereal number. The pale lilac hue puts an unexpected twist on your after-dark ensemble, while panels of silk georgette lend a flirtatious feel to the look, floating on air with every step. Wear it alone or layer it over a tee for a touch of ‘90s grunge appeal.
7. ASOS Tall Premium Velvet One Shoulder Ruffle Midi Dress ($88): What to wear when you’re heading to a swanky gala or charity affair this December 31? All signs point to this knockout velvet number that combines old world glamour and femme fatale vibes into one serious show-stopping frock. Team it alongside a fierce ear cuff, sleek stilettos and a glitzy box clutch for a double-tap-worthy look.
8. ASOS Petite Velvet Cami Dress With Embellished Detail ($98): File this retro-chic velvet slip under things to add to your lineup STAT. Wear it out to an intimate dinner for two with classic ankle-strap heels, slip it on with a faux fur stole and dazzling drop earrings for an exclusive event at a hot new spot or accessorize with glitter-flecked ankle boots for an evening of feting at your fave bar.
Bold and Bright
9. H&M Jacquard Weave Dress ($50): Nothing to wear to your bestie’s annual NYE bash? Girl, please. Feast your eyes upon the jacquard A-line stunner that requires no introduction. While the peek-a-boo back leaves just the right amount to the imagination, the vibrant color and subtle sheen lend it a one-of-a-kind edge. Gilded heels and a plum lip are non-negotiable.
10. Topshop Eyelet Plunge Midi Dress ($112): Cue the Champagne: We’ve uncovered the perfect LBD (that’s little blue dress) that ticks all the boxes and then some — just check out that sultry slit. Whether you’re doing your best hostess with the mostest or hitting the town for an epic GNO, this bold blue number is about as flawless as it gets. Whip out some embellished pumps and a glam lariat necklace for an after hours-approved look that’s ready to mix and mingle.
11. ASOS Embroidered Kimono Mini Dress ($98): Glitz and glitter aren’t your thing, but bold color? It’s right up your alley. Swap out gold sequins and high-shine metallics this year, and opt instead for a classy-lady kimono dress in a brilliant shade of lemon yellow. Burgundy velvet platforms and a tassel-trimmed pouch inject an air of retro cool, ensuring you stand out from the crowd.
12. Keepsake All Night Lace Midi Dress ($260): Take the sophisticated route (your signature move) with this semi-sheer lace midi that will double for cocktails and tapas at a hot new spot, a fancy dinner party, you name it. Opt for a less-is-more aesthetic by dialing it down with d’Orsay heels and geometric drops. We def don’t hate it.
13. Michelle Mason Embroidered Tulle Maxi Dress ($198): Hitting the party circuit hard this NYE? You need at least one slinky tulle dress on standby. And we’re willing to bet you won’t find another party-ready frock more worthy of your jam-packed agenda than this embroidered beauty. You can play it safe by pairing it with ankle-strap sandals and chandelier earrings or channel your inner trendsetter by layering it over a sequin top with embellished booties.
14. Keepsake Heartbreaker Lace Dress ($190): Babe alert! When you have no idea what to wear (your brain is still recovering from holiday overload), this elegantly edgy lace dress is a foolproof option. A muted hue and ladylike lace tone down an otherwise daring detail — a sheer skirt — striking the ultimate balance of sass and sophistication. An added bonus? The lack of look-at-me details means you’ll get plenty of wear out if it post-NYE craziness.
15. ASOS Cold Shoulder Flutter Sleeve Embellished Bodice Midi Dress ($98): #Swoonfest2016 For a one-and-done look that can be thrown together in two seconds flat, toss this burgundy beauty on with some rose gold steppers, and voila — you’re ready to schmooze in style.
16. Ecote Jasmina Velvet Embellished Mini Shift Dress ($159): Cool and comfortable coincide in this stunning shift that was made for breakin’ it down on the dance floor. The loose fit allows you to twirl with ease, and eye-catching beads ensure your ensemble won’t go unnoticed. The only thing missing? A faux fur jacket jam-packed with old Hollywood glamour.
17. Topshop Bird Embellished Minidress ($280): Standard sequin party dress? You can do better than that. In a sea of flashy frocks, this quirky cool number is guaranteed to take home the prize for best dressed, thanks to embroidered sparrows, sparkling sequins and flashy beads that’ll shine bright all night long. The best part? It’s lazy girl approved — no accessories needed.
18. Stylenanda Frill Hem Smock Dress With All Over Embellishment ($143): As far as you’re concerned, when it’s cold AF, a skimpy mini has no place on your style agenda. Take a pass on slinky slips and bare-it-all bodycons in favor of this swingy midi dress that’ll protect you against the elements. Did we mention that the shimmery fringe looks killer with a leather jacket and patent Chelsea boots? Because yeah — it does.
19. Pankaj & Nidhi Embroidered Fern Dress ($298): Treat yo’ self to a gift that keeps on giving, i.e. this whimsical woodland dress featuring lush ferns and shimmery beadwork. After painting the town red on NYE, this stunner doubles as a dreamy wedding guest dress or a show-stopping option for a big deal date night. Just add block-heel pumps and a statement cuff to complete the look — it’s that simple.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.