15 Ways to Use Oranges in Your Beauty Routine
Orange you glad you clicked on this post? We love discovering new uses for everyday ingredients like oranges. When it comes to skin care and beauty treatments, there are tons of sweet smelling products out there that use the power of orange peel or orange oil. We’ve rounded up some of our favorites, along with plenty of DIY creams and potions that you can make at home. One note of caution before we begin though — citrus can irritate sensitive skin and amplify UV damage if the ingredients aren’t diluted properly, so be smart and always patch-test your DIYs beforehand. That said, this fruit’s acidic properties and Vitamin C punch make it an excellent candidate for effective exfoliators, teeth whiteners and more.
1. Natural Teeth Whitener: The citric acid in oranges is known to damage the enamel of your teeth. The peels, on the other hand, can actually whiten your teeth if you rub the white part on your chompers. They don’t contain citric acid, but they do contain vitamin C and limonene, which is a natural solvent cleaner that works wonders on your smile. (via BLDG 25)
3. Pangea Organics Facial Cleanser with Egyptian Calendula + Blood Orange ($30): Cold processed. Cleansing, degreasing and nutritive. Plantable packaging that will grow Italian Sweet Basil.
4. Orange Peel + Cornmeal Exfoliant: This full-time esthetician-turned-blogger developed a DIY facial exfoliant that uses energizing orange peel, which you can find at natural health stores or order online. (via Delighted Momma)
5. Herbivore Botanicals Blood Orange Lip Butter ($12): Based in Seattle, this natural skin care company has been growing like crazy. Their blood orange lip butter is one of our favorites from their line, made with shea butter and essential oils.
6. Wild Orange Chamomile Face Mist: Using vegetable glycerine, calming chamomile and bright wild orange essential oil, this is one spray that you will want to keep at your desk to brighten your day and your face. (via The Chic Self)
7. TruOrganic Citrus Lavender Bar Soap ($7): Lavender essential oil rounds it out. This soap will surprise and delight you with its fragrance that is both bright and mellow. A beautiful bar that lathers and smells great; a delight for all your senses.
8. Moisturizing Orange Face Mask: Homemade with Greek yogurt, oatmeal, orange peel and honey is made to bring moisturize and radiance to your face when “winter’s being a real jerk.” Plus, it’s edible, so you can feel comfortable licking the excess off. (via Food + Words)
9. Burt’s Bee’s Orange Essence Facial Cleanser ($8): Our old friend Burt got it right again with this simple everyday face wash.
10. Orange Mint Sugar Scrub: Invigorating and super easy, this nourishing scrub is all-natural and smells like heaven. You can also use this basic recipe and swap essential oils for a different vibe. (via Julie Blanner)
11. 80 Acres Blood Orange Olive Oil Body Balm ($25): Handcrafted is our middle name, and this body balm uses botanicals like neroli, vetiver, jasmine and blood orange. The beeswax, jojoba oil and olive oil nourish skin like whoa.
12. Orange + Coconut Whipped Body Butter: Dry and cracked hands are unfortunately imminent for most of us this winter, but this uber-rich body butter will keep you moisturized and lift those winter blues with a tropical scent. (via Hello Natural)
13. Pangea Organics Facial Toner with French Rosemary + Sweet Orange ($28): Herbal and fresh, we literally can’t stop spraying our faces with this stuff.
14. California Citrus Sunshine Perfume: Essential oils strike again. This time, base notes of grapefruit, middle notes of sweet orange and peppermint and top notes of chamomile and lavender. (via Hello Natural)
15. Sweet Orange Coffee Scrub: Use your leftover coffee grounds, Epsom salt, sugar, jojoba oil and sweet orange oil to create this mixture that will wake up your bod every morning. Though the exfoliation and pick-me-up properties of this scrub are perfectly satisfying, there’s also been some speculation that caffeine helps reduce the appearance of cellulite. (via Naturally Mindful)
What unusual ways have you added fruits and veggies to your beauty routine? Tell us your tips and tricks in the comments below.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)