Every Oreo Lover Should Learn This Chocolate Cookie Recipe
For our ‘Grammable Holiday Cookie Guide, we’ve teamed up with cookie artist Vickie Liu to help you create some of the prettiest cookies on the block! Get ready for serious inspiration, whether you’re a total cookie newbie or a next-level baker.
When you think holiday cookies, of course everyone thinks of the old standbys of sugar and gingerbread cookie recipes — but if you really want a crowd pleaser, go for the cocoa! A chocolate cookie recipe can turn your simple decorated cookies into a chocoholic’s ultimate treat like royal iced trees, knockoff Oreos that look like penguins, and hot cocoa cookie cups. Scroll on to learn the basic cookie recipe.
Basic Chocolate Cookie Recipe
(Makes 1-2 dozen cookies)
- 3/4 cup salted butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 2 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1. Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then add egg and vanilla bean paste. Mix until just incorporated.
2. Gradually add flour and cocoa powder, and mix until dough forms and pulls away from the bowl. Divide dough into two even discs and wrap in cling wrap, then refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
Do you have a favorite chocolate cookie recipe? Share your recipe with us on Instagram @BritandCo!
(Recipe via Vickie Liu; photos via Brittany Griffin/Brit + Co)
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.