Whether you’re still sweltering in these last few days of summer or you’re somewhere crisp and cool, it’s impossible not to wish it were officially boot-and-scarf season already. While it’s too soon for most of us to start layering up, we’ve jumped the gun anyway and marched our digits straight into autumn. To usher in the months of falling leaves and flavored lattes, we’re sharing our fave autumnal manis that are mad about plaid in all its many forms.
1. School Bus Plaid: Whether you’re more Iggy or Alicia, this traffic-stopping color combo screams “back to school,” calling to mind that adorable and iconic Clueless ensemble. Worried you can’t pull off such a bright, bold look? As if. (via All Lacquered Up)
2. Minimalist Geo: For a consistent pattern without all the fuss of true plaid, take a cue from these beauties, which were inspired by the design of a black and white Marni bag. It’s crisp, clean and probably goes with everything in your closet. (via So Nailicious)
3. Dorothy-Inspired Plaid: If you’re not quite ready to leave your summer brights behind but you’ve got your heart set on plaid, this Wizard of Oz-inspired print was made for you. (via @chantalsglamourparlour)
4. Pretty in Pink: There’s no reason you can’t mix it up and choose a different array of colors when you’re criss-crossing those lines. For a step-by-step how-to on this design, check out its YouTube tutorial. (via @missjenfabulous)
5. Traditional Tartan: You can never go wrong with a classic, like this red and black plaid with a hint of gold. Apply that base of red, use nail tape to keep the black lines straight and finish ’em off with a metallic flourish. Tada! You’re ready for red-cup season weeks in advance. (via Cosmo UK)
6. Patriotic Plaid: Bring on the patriotic vibes this Labor Day with a trendy nail design that incorporates negative space. Whether you’re rockin’ a white tee or a glam dress, you’ll be serving up style at any festive event. (via @dollydayinn)
7. Burberry DIY: If, on the other hand, you’re a patient soul with time to spare, this Burberry-inspired DIY mani is another way to get your hands on a piece of that preppy British plaid. With a nude base coat and a steady hand, you’ve got this in the bag. (via Concrete and Nail Polish)
8. Gingham: Still kind of stuck being ready for fall and not wanting summer to end just yet? No worries; this subtle gingham and ballet pink combo strikes a perfect balance between the two, with sweet matte metallic hearts to top it all off. (via IMP Nails)
9. Shades of Gray: Here’s some nail art that’s as whimsical as it is workplace friendly. Diagonally applied stripes and metallic accents keep it a little bit wild, but those mild-mannered colors keep things cool and sophisticated at the same time. (via Spektor’s Nails)
10. Minimalist Burberry: Maybe you’re not ready to commit to full-on Burberry, or maybe you’re dying for a mod update on the classic pattern — we hear you. Put this gorgeous pattern on your nails, and you’ll be uber sophisticated and ready for whatever comes your way. (via @nailswithcolors)
Which of these are you trying for fall? Share in the comments section below.