With all the pumpkin creations coming our way this time of year, it’s easy to forget the unsung hero of the show: pumpkin pie spice. Without this warm combo of nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and cloves, we’re confident that one particular orange-hued winter squash wouldn’t be quite the fall favorite it is today. A controversial stance? Perhaps. But consider this roundup of 14 pumpkin-free pumpkin pie spice recipes our thank you to the mix that does a whole lotta heavy lifting this time of year, one spoonful at a time.
1. Pumpkin Pie Spice Latte Smoothie: Greek yogurt and almond milk team up to make this coffee-boosted smoothie with some serious staying power. (via Lemons for Lulu)
2. Pumpkin Spice Kissed Snickerdoodles: A pumpkin-spice-flavored Kiss is the finishing tough applied to these tasty cookies. Incorporate a little extra fall flavor by adding a spoonful of pumpkin pie spice to the cinnamon-sugar mix before giving the cookie balls a roll. (via Lovely Little Kitchen)
3. Pumpkin Spice Caramels: Simply adding a touch of pumpkin spice to your favorite caramel recipe transforms the candies into a whole new treat. (via Mom On Time Out)
4. Pumpkin Spice Puppy Chow: You only need four ingredients to make this flavorful snack mix! (via I Am Baker)
5. Pumpkin Spice Caramel Cronuts: Improving upon the genuine cronut recipe is no easy feat, but a spiced caramel glaze is certainly a good place to start. (via Foodness Gracious)
6. Spice Cookies: These cookies feature double the spice, incorporating it into the tasty pecan sugar cookies and a luxe buttercream. (via The Spice Train)
7. Maple and Pumpkin Spice Macaroons: It’s hard to believe that these chewy, maple-and-spice macaroons are made without refined sugar. (via The Foodie Teen)
8. Pumpkin Spiced Kettle Corn: Now you can make a farmers’ market favorite at home; we’re loving this autumnal spin. (via Sweet Treats + More)
9. Pumpkin Spiced Crackers: This homemade take on pricey health food store crackers is a boon to your bottom line. Go ahead and splurge on a nice all American artisanal cheese to spread on top of ’em instead! (via Everybody Loves Pretty)
10. Pumpkin Pie White Chocolate Pretzels: Transform regular ol’ pretzels into a festive treat with a dip in white chocolate and sprinkle of spiced sugar. (via Shaken Together Life)
11. Pumpkin Spice Brûlée Crullers: The secret ingredient in these awesome homemade donuts: pumpkin spice-flavored tea! It works in tandem with a touch of spice in the glaze to make simply mouth-watering treats. (via Deliciously Yum)
12. Applesauce Spice Cake (Vegan): Instead of pumpkin puree, applesauce lends moisture and fall-like flair to this perfectly spiced bundt cake. (via Teaspoon)
13. Pumpkin Beer Cheese Dip: Holy moly, now this is one irresistible queso! (via Chez CateyLou)
14. Pumpkin Spice Bubble Tea: This bobatea latte is a terrific alternative to the usual PSL. (via Pretty Polymath)
What’s your favorite way to use pumpkin pie spice, with or without pumpkin? Let’s discuss below!