This Is What Happened When 5 Different Women Wore Purple Highlighter
Warmer spring weather calls for some pretty lilacs on your coffee table and pastel violet on your nails. Yas, we’re totally having a spring fling with the color purple and we’re not gonna hide it anymore. As it turns out, it’s the perfect shade to warm up your cheekbones post-winter hibernation. And spoiler alert, we can vouch that it looks ahmazing on every skin tone. For reals; we tried it. Here’s a look.
The secret to finding the right illuminator is choosing the appropriate shade. Aim for a product that boasts a light lavender hue with an opalescent finish. Not sure where to start? Try Erborian Glow Creme (left, $42), a multi-tasking primer that can be worn alone, under, or over makeup; Kevyn Aucoin The Neo Limelight (middle, $58), a gradient powder used at the Lela Rose Fall 2017 fashion show that brightens up cheekbones and can be used on your lips and lids too; or Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector ($38) in Prismatic Amethyst, which combines tones of pale gold, violet, and rose to lend a unicorn-worthy glow.
So much to heart. Scroll below to see how purple highlighter faired on the complexions of five of our editors, which ranged from fair to olive to deep.
1. Olive Skin Tones: Purple highlighter is tailor-made to balance out the yellow in your complexion, so it looks fab on olive tones.
2. Dark Skin Tones: Check out this gorg, natural-looking glow, thanks to strategic placement of the highlighter on the tops of cheekbones and temples.
3. Medium Skin Tones: Medium skin tones will love these highlighters because they will bring out the beauty of your undertones without making you look too flushed. The balance between your natural warm color and these cool hues will leave you with that radiant glow you’re after.
4. Light-to-Medium Skin Tones: Lighter skin tones can benefit from the opalescent finish of purple highlighters since they pretty much guarantee you won’t look washed out or too OTT.
5. Pale Skin Tones: Paired with a bright blush, the purple highlighter gives your skin a natural, radiant boost.
Looking for more makeup inspiration? Follow us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.