As Father’s Day approaches, it’s hard to resist buying Dad the most classic of gifts: A brand new tie. But maybe your pops has about a million ties on his automated tie rack, or maybe he’s retired and happy with the 5 he kept after your mom went on a decluttering binge. Either way, it’s time to go for a more unconventional tie this year, one that’s been turned into a belt, one that doubles as a pillow, or maybe even one that’s been turned into a flask!
3. Camera Strap Tie ($30): Is your dad a shutterbug? Then he’ll love this hip alternative to the traditional tie, and much better looking than that black nylon strap his camera came with.
5. Flask Tie ($25): Alright, this might beat the pillow tie. Okay, it totally beats the pillow tie… not that we’re condoning drinking at the office ;)
7. Recycled Cassette Tape Skinny Tie ($90): This tie is made of recycled cassette tapes! Your 80s loving dad will definitely dig it, even if he’s not totally comfortable with the skinny tie.
9. Washboard Tie ($19): Wow. Just… wow.
10. Tie Bracelets: How cute are these? With the right print, even your favorite father could rock them. The only problem? We can’t find anywhere online to buy or DIY them :(
12. Pocket Tie: And last we’ve got the pocket tie! An oldie but a goodie from the Brit + Co. archive, follow this tutorial to learn how to add a pocket for your cash, cards, and smartphone to the inside of your tie. (via Brit + Co.)
What’s the most creative or unusual tie or repurposed tie project you’ve ever seen? Share it with us in the comments below.