17 Sauces to Stir Things Up
The food forecast for today is very drizzly. With a strong chance of cheese. And chocolate. And bacon. And emulsion blenders. Nothing completes a meal like a splash of this or that, so we’ve rounded up a whole bunch of fantastic and unique sauce recipes for dipping, stewing and pouring all over everything every day. Put your bibs on and let’s stir things up.
1. Beer Cheese Sauce: You like where this is going already, don’t you? Of course, we would only trust a Milwaukee blogger on the subject of beer-cheese sauces and fresh, hot, soft pretzels(!!!). Oh, Wisconsin. (via The Curvy Carrot)
3. Mint-Coriander Chutney: You know that tangy, herby, spicy condiment that you scarf down with your samosas at the curry house buffet? Well, this is that stuff. Think of it as Indian pesto. (via Worthy Pause)
4. Fesenjan: Fesenjan is Persian in origin, a sweet and tart mix of pomegranate syrup, walnuts and aromatic spices that’s best served on top of chicken (or with a spoon, directly to your mouth). (via Simply Recipes)
5. Simple Pan Sauce: Recycling just got very delicious. Pan sauce is mixed up pretty much how it sounds, essentially scraping the bits out of a cooked-in pan and making a sauce with it. This one should be in every cook’s arsenal. (via Reluctant Gourmet)
7. Creamy Cauliflower Sauce: Screw béchamel. If you’re health conscious, this will be your new mother sauce. It will go from an Alfredo substitute to whatever your heart desires with just a few tweaks. Best part? It doesn’t taste healthy whatsoever. (via Pinch of Yum)
8. Thai Peanut Sauce: Don’t act like you’ve never just licked the sauce off your chicken satay before. When you make this Thai starter staple at home, you can double dip as much as you want. (via Gimme Some Oven)
9. Chimichurri: Argentina has perfected the art of the barbecue. As such, they’ve decided that chimichurri is the only condiment that need be available when steak is on the grill. This fresh combo of fresh oregano, parsley, lots of garlic and a touch of white wine vinegar is also great on a roast beef sandwich. (via Closet Cooking)
10. Romesco: Did you know that Catalunya is famous for its sauciness? Yep. And romesco is one of the most lauded for its creamy base of roasted red peppers and nuts (typically almonds or hazelnuts). This recipe is true to its Spanish roots, but with a little added kick. (via Brittany Powell)
12. Bolognese: This hearty, meaty deliciousness is begging to be simmered on your stove this weekend. According to Italian chefs, everyone who is not in Italy has been making bolognese sauce totally wrong. After reading through this authentic recipe, we have to agree. Why the hell were we leaving out the bacon?! (via The Telegraph)
15. Holy Mole: Chocolate and smoky peppers don’t necessarily seem like a perfect match, but they don’t care what you think. They will be together, and they will make enchiladas 12 times more delicious as a result. (via Eat 8020)
16. Chipotle Maple BBQ Sauce: Just because it’s winter doesn’t mean you can’t get your hands disgustingly sticky with a barbecue sauce that doesn’t come from a bottle. That is, unless you make it and put it in the bottle yourself, which seems like a lot of work. (via Daring Gourmet)
Seeing flying sauce-rs? Let us know what you’re mixing up in the comments below or say hi on Twitter!