8 Easy Ways for Busy Moms to Sneak in Self-Care in 10 Minutes or Less
Wake-up. Shower. Dress. Wake the baby (oh wait, they’re already awake). Change the baby. Daycare drop-off. Work. Daycare pick-up. Dinner. Bath (the baby, not you). Bedtime (again, the baby not you). By the time the end of the day rolls around, you realize that you forgot to take even one moment for yourself. Being a mom is a full-time job. Add on the full-time job you’re actually getting paid to do and there’s a serious lack of time. But not to worry, because you don’t need a ton of time to carve out some replenishing — and much-needed — “me time.” Scroll on for eight self-care and relaxation ideas that you can do in under 10 minutes.
1. Get crafty. You don’t have to dig in deep with your kiddo’s temperas, but getting artsy can help you relax. Instead of churning over every single stress of the day in your mind, give your brain a rest and let your hands take over. For those of you who have little to no Martha Stewart in them, don’t worry about hardcore crafting. Dip a brush in watercolors and paint lines for 10 minutes, play with clay, or doodle on a piece of paper.
2. Put your nose in a book. Paging through a deep, thought-provoking 1,000-page novel isn’t always the most soothing thing to do at the end of a long day. But reading can be an excellent way to de-stress, especially when you truly enjoy the story. Pick something short or a book that you can read in snippets.
3. Give yourself an express mani. With everything you have to do, a full-on manicure is out of the question. Forget about the salon or day spa and spend 10 minutes soaking your hands. Fill a shallow dish with warm water, add in moisturizing bubble bath, and soak away.
4. Follow your favorite celebs. It may not be the most cerebral pursuit, but there’s no denying that celeb-watching takes your mind off your own worries and concerns. Zone out in front of your phone for 10 minutes catching up on what the Kardashian-Jenners are doing, or read all the royal tweets. Sometimes your mommy mind just needs a break, and this is a quick and easy way to give your brain the vacation it deserves.
5. Embrace your inner plant lady. A brief 10 minutes isn’t long enough to get your garden growing. That is, unless your garden is mini-sized. Prune a pint-sized bonsai tree or grow a teeny tiny container garden. When your plant life is in miniature form, you get the stress-relieving benefits of interacting with nature without having to drag out the rake, shovel, or hoe.
6. Dance it out. Pop your ear buds in, close the bedroom door, and let it all go. Ten minutes of dancing with no one watching will give you the chance to release all of that pent-up tension. Bonus: You’ll get in a little exercise with this dance-y workout.
7. Take a shower. And no, this isn’t a functional, time-to-get-clean-or-shave shower. This is 10 minutes of pure relaxation, where you stand under hot water and maybe, possibly deep-condition your hair. Just make sure your S.O., the sitter, or someone else is there to watch the littles. One of the major pluses of slipping off to the shower is the fact that you can lock the door and tune out the rest of the world.
8. Put your best face forward. Use your 10-minute timeout to rejuvenate your spirit — and skin. Light a candle, put on some relaxing music, and apply your favorite face mask. Your dewy, glowing complexion will make you look completely well-rested, even if you’re not.
What’s your favorite quick relaxation tip? Share your pick and tweet us @BritandCo!
(Photo via Getty)