We never get bored with avocado. High in fiber, vitamins and potassium and a vegetarian source of omega-3 fatty acids, it also has that super smooth texture and fresh taste that brings out the best in everything it’s paired with. Eat it scooped, mashed, sliced and diced. Have it whole with just sea salt. Savor stuffed avocado halves with shrimp or tuna or soft-boiled egg or salty cucumber curls. We especially *heart* avocado toast, the Instagram craze that erupted last year and doesn’t seem to be slowing down anytime soon.
Just when you think the avocado trend might be waning, enter Dutch food blogger Colette Dike of FoodDeco. Colette wields a vegetable peeler like Picasso did a paint brush. Her feed is chock-full of tempting photos of avocado on toast, stuffed in sweet potatoes and vegetarian tacos and garnishing salads and polenta pizzas. What makes Colette’s inspo so special is the presentation: delicate avocado strips in perfect, paper-thin curls, reminiscent of shaved Parmesan cheese or coconut. Even her shaved avocado roses make other veggie roses pale in comparison. Scroll on to see some of her best work.
1. Honeyed Sweet Potato: The humble yam is elevated to food obsession when sweetened with honey and garnished with ribbons of luscious avocado. Sprinkle a few red pepper flakes for some heat. The hot-sweet combo is always a palate pleaser.
2. Polenta Pizza: This one’s for the pizza-loving vegans in the house! Polenta crisps up nicely in the oven, so it makes the perfect GF crust. Artichoke flowers are paired with curls of shaved avocado on a bed of tomato. It’s everything you crave in a summer pizza.
3. A New Take on Toast: Bread tastes even better when it’s toasted in a skillet, and the char marks on this bagel are seriously appetizing. Top it with shaved avocado and garnish with sprigs of fresh watercress. It’s a tasty take on everyone’s favorite breakfast food crush — avocado toast.
4. Not Your Average Sammie: We’ll never look at sandwiches the same way again. Gorgeous green reams of shaved avocado make this open-faced turkey sandwich something extra special. It’s *almost* too beautiful to eat.
5. Avocado and Salmon Flowerpot: This clever presentation uses black quinoa for “dirt” and seaweed for “roots.” It’s the artful peeling that makes this duo-colored shaved avocado and salmon floret picture perfect.
6. Two Halves of a Whole: This open-faced sandwich features swirls of salmon on one side and ribbons of shaved avocado on the other. Eat each half separately, and savor the distinct flavors of avocado with horseradish cream cheese and salmon with truffle mayo. Or, close the whole thing up and let the flavors mingle in your mouth.
7. Deviled Egg Fabergé: Now we’re getting fancy. Avocado halves are stuffed with egg and whipped feta, then bejeweled in black quinoa and ruby-red pomegranate. The outside of the “egg” is decorated with a basket-weave of avocado and asparagus ribbons, and then powdered with paprika. You can just imagine how it tastes and feels as you sink your teeth into it.
8. Fresh Take on Summer Salad: Ribbons of salmon, mango and avocado mingle like delicate noodles in the bowl. This salad is lightly dressed with lime, then garnished with cilantro, watercress and a sprinkle of red pepper flake for that perfect balance of salt and fat.
9. Egg in a Hole: Avocado roses are always a delight to the eye, but even more delicate and beautiful when the petals are shaved paper-thin. Egg in a hole is brought to a new level when the bread is crisped focaccia and the side is a shaved avocado rose. That creamy espresso shot looks to be just the right chaser.
10. Next-Wave Nachos: Is there any pairing beyond compare to avocado and corn chips? If there is, we haven’t seen it yet. This avocado bowl mingles flavors of leek, pomegranate, cilantro, lime and chili pepper. Edible flowers complement the rosette presentation. The crispy corn chips are for scooping, and you will definitely savor the crunch.
Do you have a shaved avocado pic to share? We want to see it! Tag us on Instagram @BritandCo + use the hashtag #iamcreative!