10 Smokey Eye Alternatives to Wedding Makeup
You won’t hear any disagreement from us on the smokey eye as a solid choice for any bridal babe. After all, it’s a great way to subtly define your eyes for attention-grabbing glances on your special day. But as much as we love this classic style, it’s definitely not the only choice for your wedding day makeup. And the best part is, you don’t have to be a non-traditional bride to break this tradition. There are plenty of alternatives to get those peepers poppin’, whether it’s a bold cat eye to add a bit of retro glam or highlighted lids to brighten and widen your eyes. Scroll on for 10 styles made for the bride that’s looking for a little something different from the typical smokey eye, plus the products to test out the looks right now.
For a Glam Cat Eye
1. Kat Von D Tattoo Liner ($19): For the retro glam bride, there’s no better option than a bold cat eye. The exaggerated tip on this liner will make the dramatic makeup a breeze to apply, and its long-lasting formula will help keep your look fresh well into the night.
For Flushed, Pink Lids
For a Pop of Color
4. Too Cool for School Dinoplatz Eyeshadow on Flatiron in Bronze ($18): Boho brides will flip for the earthy style a bronzed eye brings to any look. Blending a bit of this creamy formula across your lids and underneath your eyes is a great alternative to the more dramatic smokey eye, creating a softer, more subtle way of bringing the focus to your pupils.
For a Bronzed Glow on the Lid
For Doe-like Bambi Eyes
6. Urban Decay Naked 3 Palette ($54): As subtle as it may be, a nude-colored eye is sure to please any minimalist bride. Sweep a bit of color across the lids to give just the right amount of definition to your eyes while still looking totally natural. The variety of shades in the Naked palette give plenty of neutral matte and shimmery options for bridal babes to choose from.
For a Nude, Natural Eye
For Bright and Glowing Eyes
For a Colorful Smokey Eye
9. Boots No. 7 Smoky Powder Eyeliner ($10): For softer, more subdued eye makeup, avoid a dramatic liquid liner in favor of a powder formula. This powder eyeliner is simple to use on both your lids and underneath your eyes, giving them a bit of definition without the use of any harsh lines. Sweep a bit on both your upper and lower lids, as close to the lash line as possible, to really make those eyes stand out.
For Soft (But Defined) Eyes
10. Yves Saint Laurent Metallic Shadow in Onde Sable ($30): Let’s face it — you simply can’t go wrong with a set of metallic lids. This particular shadow comes housed in a liquid formula, which sets quickly to leave behind quite the punch of sparkle and shine. The Onde Sable shade is a particularly great choice, as the champagne shimmer is a sure bet for brightening up those eyes to make them the star attraction on your big day.