You won’t hear any disagreement from us on the smokey eye as a solid choice for any bridal babe. After all, it’s a great way to subtly define your eyes for attention-grabbing glances on your special day. But as much as we love this classic style, it’s definitely not the only choice for your wedding day makeup. And the best part is, you don’t have to be a non-traditional bride to break this tradition. There are plenty of alternatives to get those peepers poppin’, whether it’s a bold cat eye to add a bit of retro glam or highlighted lids to brighten and widen your eyes. Scroll on for 10 styles made for the bride that’s looking for a little something different from the typical smokey eye, plus the products to test out the looks right now.
For a Glam Cat Eye
1. Kat Von D Tattoo Liner ($19): For the retro glam bride, there’s no better option than a bold cat eye. The exaggerated tip on this liner will make the dramatic makeup a breeze to apply, and its long-lasting formula will help keep your look fresh well into the night.
For Flushed, Pink Lids
2. Vapour Organic Mesmerize Eye Color in Sugar ($2o): Pink lids were all over the runways this year, and it’s a trend that would lend itself well to any bridal beauty. The romantic pigment adds a healthy flush of color to your complexion, helping to focus all eyes on you.
For a Pop of Color
3. Marc Jacobs Beauty Highliner Gel Eye Crayon ($25): Whether it’s for every day or for one very special day, colored eyeliner is a trend you should know about, especially since black liner can easily look a little harsh if you’re going for a softer bridal look. Using a colorful formula can be an even more flattering option by widening your eyes — finding a shade of liner that perfectly contrasts with your eye color is the key to bright n’ beautiful blues (or browns or hazels…) on your big day.
For a Bronzed Glow on the Lid
4. Too Cool for School Dinoplatz Eyeshadow on Flatiron in Bronze ($18): Boho brides will flip for the earthy style a bronzed eye brings to any look. Blending a bit of this creamy formula across your lids and underneath your eyes is a great alternative to the more dramatic smokey eye, creating a softer, more subtle way of bringing the focus to your pupils.
For Doe-like Bambi Eyes
5. Ardell Multipack Demi Wispies Fake Eyelashes ($9): With a little help from the power of falsies, anyone can rock big ol’ Bambi eyes — they’re a quick and easy hack to achieve that enviable doe-eyed look. Simply pop the set on and go over it with a bit of mascara for some eye-opening makeup.
For a Nude, Natural Eye
6. Urban Decay Naked 3 Palette ($54): As subtle as it may be, a nude-colored eye is sure to please any minimalist bride. Sweep a bit of color across the lids to give just the right amount of definition to your eyes while still looking totally natural. The variety of shades in the Naked palette give plenty of neutral matte and shimmery options for bridal babes to choose from.
For Bright and Glowing Eyes
7. RMS Beauty Living Luminizer ($38): Highlighter has been having a major moment these past few years, playing a starring role in both the strobing and contouring trends. Prepare to add another way to use this multi-tasker to your list, because this creamy luminizer looks absolutely fab applied to your lids. When applied to your brow bone, a highlighter immediately illuminates and brightens the area for a romantic, ethereal look on your wedding day.
For a Colorful Smokey Eye
8. NARS Dual-Intensity Eyeshadow in Giove ($29): We know, we know, these are supposed to be alternatives to a smokey eye. But hear us out — instead of your typical smokey eye with shades of black or brown, why not shake things up with an unexpected color? If you’re feeling particularly daring, go for a full smokey eye with this intense navy, a shade that toes the line nicely between a neutral and bright, bold color (like pink!).
For Soft (But Defined) Eyes
9. Boots No. 7 Smoky Powder Eyeliner ($10): For softer, more subdued eye makeup, avoid a dramatic liquid liner in favor of a powder formula. This powder eyeliner is simple to use on both your lids and underneath your eyes, giving them a bit of definition without the use of any harsh lines. Sweep a bit on both your upper and lower lids, as close to the lash line as possible, to really make those eyes stand out.
For Gilded Lids
10. Yves Saint Laurent Metallic Shadow in Onde Sable ($30): Let’s face it — you simply can’t go wrong with a set of metallic lids. This particular shadow comes housed in a liquid formula, which sets quickly to leave behind quite the punch of sparkle and shine. The Onde Sable shade is a particularly great choice, as the champagne shimmer is a sure bet for brightening up those eyes to make them the star attraction on your big day.
Would you try any of these trends for your big day? Let us know by tweeting us @BritandCo!
(Featured/main photo via Getty)