Cool or Crazy: Would You Rock These 20 Spice Girls-Level Platform Shoes?
Editor’s Note: This post was originally part of our 2014 April Fools’ Prank. And because we think the ’90s are all that (and a bag of chips), we decided to update it for all you present-day readers. Keep on scrolling to keep the angsty/sparkly dream alive ;)
We don’t know what’s more surprising: the rumors of a mega Spice Girls reunion or the fact that the sky-high platforms they made so fly to wear in the ’90s are back on trend. The chunky footwear is one of those frozen-in-time styles that make this resurgence a mega risk for even the most daring of dressers. So we want you to weigh in: are these 20 clunky platforms hella cool, just plain crazy, or do they make you really, really, really wanna zigazig ah?
1. UNIF Mary Jane Platform ($190): A seven-and-a-quarter inch platform? Now that’s what we call Scary (Spice).
2. Jeffrey Campbell Foxy Platform ($122): Do you even have to ask if we’re in love with these heart-speckled t-straps? The answer is, DUH!
3. Shelly’s London Mint Blue Lace Up Ankle Boots ($113): We just can’t pass up a pastel sneaker platform. Plus, this minty blue color is all that.
4. YRU Chariot White Rainbow Platform Sandals ($98): We’re, like, basically wiggin’ out over these holographic rainbow sandals. Can a platform get any more perfect?
6. ASOS HEIGHTEN Heeled Sandals ($95): Posh Spice eat your heart out! These buckled pumps are primo for date night.
7. Yes Werque Bubble-Tread Platform Sandal ($120): The cushioned bubble soles on these two-toned sneakers make this pair perfect for stompin’ around the mall.
8. Jeffrey Campbell Slippery Pool Slide Sandal ($170): Our fave slip-on sandals get a sky high makeover we’re totally buggin’ over.
9. ASOS JUMANJI Lace Up Shoes ($76): Take a lesson from TLC and rock these hot pink lace ups with a pair of baggie overall shorts. It’s a style choice you won’t regret.
10. ASOS AIRPLANE Chelsea Ankle Boots ($104): Pair these ‘60s-style Chelsea platforms with flower power-patched shorts for a modern take on the throwback look.
11. BC Footwear X Della I Got It Wedge Sandal ($70): Look like the total Betty you are in these plush patterned platforms. Fishnets are a MUST.
12. Miista Rachel Buckle Sandal ($170): Yeah, the pearly blue upper is phat. The mint sole is dope. But the clear buckles clench it.
13. ASOS HYPERACTIVE Heeled Sandals ($141): These shimmery nude platforms get a glam makeover with studs and rhinestones. So major.
14. ASOS SMARTIE Mid Heels ($57): Channel your inner Baby Spice with these darling platforms. Bonus points for completing the look with a pastel sun dress and pigtails.
15. ASOS AIRPLANE Chelsea Ankle Boots ($104): Cheetah print platforms? Scary Spice would give you the high kick of approval ;)
17. Shelly’s London Mish Woven Star Sandals ($160): The seether is neither black nor white, but these peep-toes sure are. Their woven detail is da bomb.
18. Jeffrey Campbell Dolla Platform Sneaker ($75): Yes, these high tops are so money.
19. Jeffrey Campbell Baretta Platform Sandal ($140): These are THE sandals to wear to your dream vaycay on MTV’s Spring Break. They’re sure to grab Jesse Camp’s eye — wave big if you end up on TRL!
20. JC Play by Jeffrey Campbell PYT Platform ($88): These gilttery sneaks would sparkle just as bright on the feet of any Ginger dudette.
BONUSUNIF Nobody Platforms ($175): Shut up! These tie-dyed platforms add a whopping TEN inches to your height. They might go down in history as the coolest shoe around (watch out jelly sandals!).
Which pair of platforms are your must-haves? Tell us in the comments below.