Farmers’ Market Find: 15 Superb Squash Blossom Recipes
There’s something about nibbling on edible flowers that just feels fancy, indulgent — who doesn’t love that? We’ve gathered together 15 dazzling recipes for one of the most popular esculent blooms out there: squash blossoms. Whether you’ve spotted packs of the bright orange and green flowers at your local farmers’ market and didn’t know where to begin, or are old pro at stuffing and frying ’em up and simply need an updated approach, we have you covered!
1. Spring Vegetable Lasagna with Heirloom Tomato Béchamel: Loaded with layers of veggies and creamy cheese, this fresh lasagna is a terrific one-pot meal. (via O&O Eats)
4. Zucchini, Corn and Chèvre-Stuffed Squash Blossoms: This recipe features a unique-yet-simple technique for preparing squash blossoms that promises to preserve their bright colors — click over to learn more! (via Bojon Gourmet)
6. Baked Squash Blossoms Stuffed with Beet Hummus (Vegan, Gluten-free): Stuffed squash blossoms get a healthy update with this baked, cheese-free version. (via Dolly and Oatmeal)
9. Shaved-Squash Salad with Tomatoes, Zucchini Blossoms, Ricotta, and Thyme Oil: A playful combination of shaved squash shapes — some into ribbons, other rounds — coupled with blossoms and basil leaves creates a gorgeous salad that’s almost too pretty to eat! (via Martha Stewart)
12. No-Knead Pizza Dough + Squash Blossom, Roasted Tomato and Pesto Pie: Throw these pizzas on the grill to bake when it’s too hot to light the oven — it doesn’t get much more summery than that! (via Two of a Kind)
13. Panko-crusted Baked Squash Blossom with Garden Herb Ricotta: Mint, sorrel and a dash of lemon zest lend just enough flavor to the cheese filling, allowing the blossom’s faint flavor to still shine through. (via Food to Glow)
Stuffed, sliced, fried, fresh — what’s your favorite way to use squash blossoms? Let us know in the comments below!