When you hear the words “polo shirt,” you probably envision a stiff cotton top worn with pleated khakis and loafers. That’s because the collared shirt has been the central piece of a preppy wardrobe even before Ralph Lauren popularized it in 1972. Almost 50 years later, the polo is once again having a moment. Designers including Gucci and Marni added dressier versions of the polo to their Spring 2018 collections, and contemporary brands have introduced their own anything-but-basic versions too. Take a peek below for our fave picks of this season’s updated spin on an all-American classic.
1. Tibi Rugby Polo Top ($395): This slender polo shirt is cut close to the body and features elbow-length sleeves. The bold stripes will bring back memories of your co-ed days, but it’s the polo’s sexy back cutout that makes this top like no college jersey you’ve ever worn.
2. Tory Burch Mila Polo ($248): For a sophisticated take on the style, try this option made from ribbed cotton with contrasting crochet detail on the placket and collar. We suggest tucking it into paper bag high-waisted khakis.
3. American Vintage Comenutt Polo ($95): If you pair this silky top with a mini skirt or black pleather leggings, you’ll look so on-trend it’ll be easy to forget you’re wearing a polo shirt.
4. Joseph Pointelle-Knit Top ($245): Balance out the proportion of this textured slim-cut top while staying in the pastel zone with a powder blue circle skirt.
5. Lands’ End Ivory Linea Floral Pima Polo ($40): A crisp white blazer is the perfect layer over this floral number. Pop the collar, add a purple midi skirt, and throw on some silver mules and you’ll be good to go when the weather warms up.
6. Marc Jacobs Short Sleeve Polo With Contrast Stripes ($495): There is so much fabulousness happening here we can’t handle it. Sure, we love the fresh mint green color with contrasting stripes, but it’s the floral acrylic buttons that have us swooning.
7. Paskal Ruffled Polo Shirt ($315): Think polo shirts aren’t sexy enough for date night with your S.O.? Think again! This metallic knit polo is both romantic (ruffles) and bold (sheer). Play it a little safer by layering a black cami underneath.
8. J.Crew Garret Oversized Polo ($220): Throw on this comfy-cozy merino wool option over skinny dark denim jeans and top off with a pair of Golden Goose sneakers for Sunday brunch in style with your squad.
Want more style advice? Follow us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.