Morning Buzz! Taylor Swift and Calvin Harris Had an Adorable 1-Year Anniversary Weekend + More
1. “One year. That was easy.” Taylor Swift and Calvin Harris have survived one year of dating, and while we’re sure there are countless Swifties both relieved and bummed that the two did not get engaged, they did celebrate with cake and jewelry.
— Taylor Swift Updates (@SimplySFans) March 6, 2016
“We got a one-year cake, yay,” Harris is heard saying in a Snapchat that had the caption “1 year… that was easy,” as he shows off the — erm, cute, albeit not pretty — homemade looking chocolate-icing cake. He pans to Taylor, who nods excitedly. Taylor later shared a pic of an engraved gold heart locket. “3.6.15. One year down!” she wrote. Oh, young love!
2. Is Kim Kardashian going to break the Internet again? Kim posted a new naked (should we call this a #newnude?) photo of herself overnight, captioning the considerately censored pic, “When you’re like I have nothing to wear LOL,” and we’re ready to see if this breaks the Internet like her naked Paper magazine shoot in 2014. It’s likely this photo isn’t actually current; unless Kim went blonde again over the weekend (which, hey, stranger things have happened), it’s probably an older snap. Kim has repeatedly been open about her struggles with post-baby weight, so it’s possible she posted this as a personal #goals reminder. You go, Kim.
Parte III – Beyoncé performando "I Will Always Love You" da Whitney Houston na Shrine Auditorium & Expo Hall em LA. pic.twitter.com/8Om8sawPeM
— Beyoncé Brasil (@BeyonceBrasil) March 6, 2016
3. Beyonce crushed a cover of Whitney Houston’s “I Will Always Love You,” and no, we’re not crying, why?! Bey performed at the Center for Early Education’s 75th Anniversary Gala in Los Angeles on Saturday night, and along with killing her own hits in a stunning, sparkly, skintight mini number, she also belted out a Whitney (okay, technically Dolly) cover that gives us goosebumps. Us Weekly reports that the appearance was a surprise, and that the Center is actually Blue Ivy’s elementary school. If so, Mom of the Year Award, anyone? (h/t Us Weekly)
— Say Yes to the Dress (@syttd) March 5, 2016
4. Martha Stewart throws amazingly subtle shade on Say Yes to the Dress. Can you imagine going wedding dress shopping with Martha Stewart?! On the one hand, it seems like the perfect way to get no-nonsense, knowledgeable input. On the other hand, it seems like the kind of terrifyingly intimidating experience that would probably just make us cancel the wedding altogether in order to avoid it. On the season 14 premiere of TLC’s Say Yes to the Dress this past weekend, Martha accompanies her friend Bailey dress shopping. The first dress she tries on has a corset top that Stewart doesn’t love, and she doesn’t lie about it. “It’s gorgeous. I just think it’s a little rigid,” she says. Martha was also nervous about the experience, saying, “You have to tread lightly. You can’t say that’s a horrible dress that she’s already chosen.” Oh, wait — that’s exactly what she did. Amazing. (h/tJezebel)
5. Chrissy Teigen’s baby shower proved she and hubby John Legend will treat their girl like a princess. While we wait to learn the Obama-approved name of their baby girl, we’ll have to indulge in the photos from the NYC baby shower that Chrissy shared over the weekend. Full of amazing looking princess-themed sweets and, of course, crowns for the mom and dad-to-be that said “Baby Mama” and “Baby Daddy,” as well as their adorable dog Pippa (naturally), the party looked fit for a little princess — not that we’re surprised. “Luckiest girls around,” Chrissy captioned one of her snaps, followed by three old-school emoticon hearts. No kidding!
6. Quote of the day: “I am currently going through a rough patch with [my endometriosis] and my body (along with my amazing doctors) let me know, in no uncertain terms, that it’s time to rest… So many women with this disease literally don’t have the option of time off and I won’t take it for granted. Wishing you all health & happiness, in whatever form suits you.” — Lena Dunham shared this news just weeks ago. This past weekend, she had to be hospitalized and undergo surgery for a ruptured cyst. A good reminder to listen to our bodies. (h/t Variety)
(Featured image via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.