9 Classic Kids’ Audiobooks to Make Thanksgiving Travel Easier
Ah, books on tape. You have fond memories of your parents popping a cassette into the car’s player and listening to some B-list celebrity read a story out loud on your holiday road trips. Well, it’s time to recreate the audio fun with your own family. Of course, you’re not exactly borrowing actual cassettes for the public library like your mom did: You’re all about downloading audiobooks. Transform the Thanksgiving trek to Grandma’s from, “Are we there yet?” to, “Just one more!” with these magical children’s audiobooks.
1. Aladdin and Other Stories ($7): Get driving with these old-school reads! Your kiddo can experience nursery rhymes that include Aladdin, Cinderella, Puss in Boots, and so much more. Along with the stories themselves, this audiobook includes music and sound effects too. Your preschooler will get totally into these rhyme-time stories.
2. Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling ($10): Narrated by Johnny Morris, this is a collection of highlights from the famed author’s classic fables. Your little one will find stories such as “The Beginning of the Armadillos” and “The Cat That Walked by Himself” just as charming as you do. They’re filled with creativity, inspiration, and total imagination.
3. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum ($15): Read by Anne Hathaway, this tale is one that your child may have already seen on the big screen. Or, at least, on the small screen of your laptop. Take a trip to the magical world of Oz, where your child will meet new friends such as Dorothy and her little dog Toto.
4. Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie ($20): With a dramatic narration by Lily Collins, this childhood favorite is one that your creative kid will come to adore. The boy who never grew up is a magical tale that you might have adored in your own younger days. This fairly lengthy audio read (it’s just shy of five hours) is perfect for those mid-range car trips. You know, the ones that are far away but not too, too far from home.
5. Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne ($16): Everyone in the car will enjoy this completely classic treat. Narrated by stars like Stephen Fry, Judi Dench, and Michael Williams, this download includes “Pooh Goes Visiting” and “Piglet Meets a Heffalump.”
6. Knuffle Bunny by Mo Willems ($9): Read by the author and his daughter Trixie, this kids’ fave is a quick story that will keep your child’s attention. Yes, you may have to keep it on repeat (that’s how much your little one loves it). This is a modern-day classic — and one that is super-sweet.
7. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak ($2): You’re looking for a quick book that your child knows and loves. Well… this one is a mere six minutes long. And it’s also absolutely adored by just about every kid out there. (That’s including your former childhood self.)
8. Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr. and Eric Carle ($2): Gwyneth Paltrow — yes, Gwyneth Paltrow — narrates this famed children’s book. For decades kids have been enjoying this adorable classic on the printed page. Now your child can enjoy it too — as a recording!
9. Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown ($1): It’s evening, and you’re still on the road. If your tot falls asleep on the way to your Thanksgiving destination, that’s okay. Hey, you’re all for them drifting off to dreamland in the car, and then gently transferring them to the crib or bed at Grandma’s. Instead of just hoping they’ll drift off, this classic tale can help them fall asleep without a fuss.
Tweet us what children’s books you’re bringing on your holiday travels @BritandCo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.