If you’ve noticed that the mornings have become nippier — and the days shorter — then you’re not the only one. As you seek solace in comfy layers and transitional fall coats, there’s one piece de resistance you won’t want to be without. Army jackets, you’ve been summoned from seasons past. Perhaps it’s their off-duty appeal (who are we kidding, that’s exactly why) or maybe it has a little sumthin’ sumthin’ to do with their around-the-clock styling potential. Keep scrolling for 14 Instababes who prove you don’t have to be a rebel to pull off the tough-girl topper of the season. Just think: You’ll be likened to a modern-day G.I. Jane.
1. A Hint of Millennial Pink: Meet army green’s substantially more feminine sister hue, millennial pink (perhaps you’ve heard of it?!). Courtney Quinn’s mastered the art of a.m. to p.m. dressing with her embellished, utilitarian jacket, LBD, and blush accessories — namely, the Mansur Gavriel circle bag.
2. Athluxury Is the Word: And you thought rocking track pants to the boardroom was groundbreaking. If anyone can make a patchwork military jacket, retro red sunnies, and metallic pink fringe loafers look FROW-ready, it’s HBIC Tamu McPherson.
3. The Fashion Blogger Way: Here’s proof that anyone — even a poised and polished (albeit quirky at times) Blair Eadie — can masterfully style a twill military jacket without missing a beat. Between her pretty floral tie-neck dress, signature cognac satchel, and tortoiseshell sunnies, she’s got a #winning look on her hands.
4. Camouflage and Embroidery FTW: Can we get a hell YAS? Sai De Silva’s embroidered camo jacket is giving off major post-festival season flair (dem poms and tassels!).
5. Pared Down With Distressed Denim: Take it from the West Coast: A slew of pared-down essentials (think: a white tee and ripped denim) will never steer you wrong. Toss in a starry army jacket for seasonless styling — AKA, you’ll reach for it every. Single. Day.
6. Borrowed-from-the-Boys: When in doubt, borrow your man (or Dad’s) dope AF military jacket for instant downtown swagger. “But where’d you get your bomb jacket…?” Says every street photographer and random passersby within your line of sight.
7. With Metallic Steppers: Sophia Rosemary has spoken, and the verdict is in: You need a versatile shacket for all your upcoming fall outings. Pop this military-inspired jacket over an A-line mini, a graphic tee, and metallic steppers for a non-fussy uniform.
8. Add Souped-Up Accessories: Run-of-the-mill military jacket, no more! This style MVP adds in her own personal spin a la an Indiana Jones-inspired hat, a Clare V. bag, and luxe sneakers.
9. Cool in Camo: Slay girl, slayyyy. Snag yo’self a traffic-stopping camo topper (perfect for transitional dressing, natch), and you’ll be striking a pose just like this NYC-based blogger.
10. All Black Err’thang: Breaking all the rules, TYVM. Between the vintage military topper and head-to-toe black, this blogger babe is just a pair of Doc Martens away from being ready to rave.
11. Weekend-Ready: No frills, no BS — this Instababe keeps it real with her city-chic getup consisting of a dusty green field jacket, pastel pink slip-on sneaks, and distressed jeans.
12. Tough-Girl Uniform: “Ten-hut!” When in doubt, glean inspiration from regional bad girl RiRi (or this cool chick right here) with an oversized camouflage jacket and heavy-duty stompers that are ready to hit the pavement.
13. Let Your Army Jacket Do the Talking: “Never underestimate the power of a really good jacket…” We’re with NYC fashion editor, Caroline Vazzana, on this one. Her embellished jacket, strewn with the words “happy, sexy, strong,” commands attention at first twirl.
14. Personalized Flair: Dare to be seen this season — just like Leandra Medine — by fastening a big ol’ flower brooch to your khaki green military jacket for a whimsical touch.
Will you rock an army jacket this fall? Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.