14 It-Girl-Approved Looks That Master 9-to-5 Style
Truth: Transitioning from summer to fall is no easy feat. When the weather flips from sweltering to nippy at the drop of a hat, it can be hard to plan ahead — at least when you aren’t keeping an arsenal of summer style essentials and fall must-haves on standby at all times. But who wants to shuffle their capsule wardrobe all over town? Luckily, you don’t have to, because we’ve gone ahead and pulled 14 Instababe-approved outfits straight from the most fashionable femmes on our feeds that will do your style — and HR — proud. Take a quick scroll through, jot down a few style notes and get ready to put those newfound layering skills into action.
1. Button-Down and Floaty Maxi Dress: Don’t let your favorite summer dresses sit in the closet until next summer. With a lightweight sweater, long-sleeve tee or elegant blouse, you can effortlessly usher your collection of flowy, free-wheelin’ frocks into the new season. Dressed-down kicks and sleek accessories are highly recommended.
2. Pajama-Style Suiting: Lazy girls, rejoice! On mornings when you just can’t even, an elegantly undone pajama suit is the answer to all your problems (well, almost). Team it with a high-neck sweater, court shoes and funky drop earrings for an on-the-job ensemble that’s as comfortable as it is polished.
3. Mock Neck Top and Maxi Skirt: Snoozy black trousers and too-stuffy suits? Hard swerve. Spice up your workweek repertoire with strappy sandals, printed skirts and structured sweaters that are guaranteed to become the talk of the water cooler.
4. Cropped Sweater and High-Waisted Culottes: Equal parts cozy and classy, this effortless ensemble will pass HR’s haute standards with flying colors. Ground the getup in girlboss territory with block-heel Mary Janes, a structured satchel and minimalist baubles that add a hint of glitz without going over the top.
5. Sleeveless Vest, Sweater and Cropped Jeans: Casual Friday, here you come. Striking the ultimate balance of on-duty chic and off-duty cool, this all-black ensemble is ready to get down to business. The sleeveless blazer and leather loafers keep the look grounded in office-appropriate territory, while raw-edge denim and a sleek backpack read rebel without a cause.
6. Leather Jacket and Culottes: Do your on-duty thing while racking up the style points left and right with a cool-girl take on the standard suit. Culottes will keep you cool when temps start to heat up, plus they bring plenty of polish to the table — a mid-week must. Throw in an airy blouse, modern mules and a tailored leather jacket (keep that biker number on the back burner), then proceed to slay your to-do list like a boss.
7. Printed Shift Dress and Bell-Sleeve Button Down: Sleeveless shift dresses take on a whole new feel for fall when teamed with classic and statement button-down shirts. For a show-stopping look that is straight-up goals, opt for funky prints and unexpected details like ruffle necks, bell sleeves and eye-catching embroidery. On the footwear front, step into a set of lace-up booties or sassy ankle-strap sandals. Throw in a sleeveless blazer for good measure for an on-the-job #OOTD that’s ready to take on business meetings, brainstorm sessions and anything else that comes your way.
8. Fall Floral Blouse and Pleated Metallic Skirt: Say sayonara to sleepy pencil skirts. This season is all about swishy pleated midi styles in sleek metallic finishes. Perfect your desk-to-dinner routine by wearing it with a printed blouse, shimmery ear cuff and statement steppers. Bonus points for biker jackets and a go-get-’em ‘tude.
9. Ruffled Blouse and Black Trousers: If keepin’ it classic is what you’re all about, prepare to swoon hard for this subtly chic ensemble. Tailored black trousers get a major boost when styled alongside trend-right takes on timeless pieces, e.g. fancy flats and collared shirts. Step up your style game before setting foot in the office with a striped ruffle-front blouse with ladylike appeal and pointed-toe slingbacks that scream modern femme on a mission.
10. Bright Skater Dress and Loafers: In addition to an LBD, every working girl needs at least one playful piece that will spice up a tired workweek repertoire in seconds. Try a bright skater dress on for size — we’re more than willing to bet it’ll have you reaching best-dressed-employee status in no time. Just add some slip-on loafers for a boss look.
11. Crop Flares and Menswear-Inspired Jacket: We’d be lying if we said this anything-but-boring iteration of the traditional suit and tie didn’t have serious nine-to-five potential. Swoon. Score big points with the boss when you sashay into the boardroom with big ideas and this show-stopping outfit in tow. Bright bags are a must for that obligatory pop of color.
12. Sweater Dress, Ankle Boots and Classic Trench: For those mornings when you hit snooze a few too many times, we’ve found the ultimate outfit formula to get you to the office in style. Put up a polished front while staying super cozy with a midi sweater dress and ankle boots with a don’t-mess edge. The piece de resistance that pulls it all together? A timeless trench that’ll make that commute a little more bearable.
13. Printed Trousers, Airy Blouse and Structured Jacket: The easiest cure for a little summertime sadness? Light, airy pieces in a spectrum of soft hues. Loading on the layers seems a little less offensive when your duds don’t scream cold-weather-ready. Do the monochromatic thing, selecting office-appropriate pieces in a neutral palette to create a sophisticated look that will keep unpredictable fall weather in check and those free-spirited summer vibes alive.
14. Bright Floral Dress and Utility Jacket: Nailing transitional dressing? Easy breezy when you play with proportion. Start with a long-sleeve base (might we suggest a fun floral dress?), then look to lightweight layers in varying lengths to find that perfect amount of coverage (you know — where you won’t show up to the office shivering or drenched in sweat).
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!