If there’s one thing everyone loves to do during the summertime, a day at the beach tops the list. Between getting that sun-kissed glow and rocking that new printed swimsuit you bought for the season, it really is the perfect time to celebrate. If you’re throwing a 30th birthday bash for your beach-obsessed bestie this summer, a tropical par-tay decked out in all things leaf-printed and flamingo-filled will be a total hit. Just don’t forget about those trendy pineapples. Scroll down to find out how to create a tropical 30th birthday party for your own BFF this summer.
1. DIY Paper Cocktail Umbrellas: It doesn’t get more tropical than a drink that’s topped off with a cocktail umbrella. Use cardstock and wooden skewers to make this option that’s perfect for all those fruity drinks your guests will be sipping on. (via We Like Mondays)
2. DIY Paper Leis: Instead of going for traditional leis you can grab at the party store, make a set of paper leis for a unique way to greet your guests. Once they’re wearing a couple of these, they’ll feel like they accidentally ended up in Hawaii, which is never a bad feeling. (via The House That Lars Built)
3. DIY Patio Cooler Box: You have to keep the drinks cold one way or another, so you might as well do it in style. Make this DIY patio cooler box by screwing together pieces of wood and popping in a basic cooler. After you’ve made the cooler box, add a little pizzazz by painting on your favorite tropical phrase. (via Brit + Co)
4. Coconut Cups With Straws + Umbrellas: Instead of using solo cups at your bestie’s birthday party, go for a cuter option like these coconut cups. Add one of your DIY umbrellas and a paper straw to make your cocktail seriously stylish. (via Sugar + Cloth)
5. DIY Pineapple Bowling: Looking for a way to bring a little friendly competition to the party? Spray paint pineapples and a ball to DIY a gilded bowling set. Pro tip: Once you’ve made the game, create a bracket to see which friend is the best bowler in town. (Photo via Elizabeth Shrier / Style Me Pretty)
6. DIY Palm Frond Balloons: A birthday party isn’t complete without a bundle of balloons. Snag a bag of white ones at the party store and stamp on a palm frond design to give your space an extra festive vibe. (via Studio DIY)
7. Pineapple + Palm Frond Place Setting: A tropical-themed dinner party calls for a place setting that’s just as stunning as the birthday guest of honor. Recreate this idea by layering pineapple-printed plates and palm fronds. Finish off the look with a custom menu to *really* impress your guests. (via Sugar + Cloth)
8. DIY Pineapple Piñata: Every summer party needs a piñata that fits the theme. Amp up a basic paper lantern with green and yellow crepe paper to make this pineapple option. It’ll definitely bring some fun to the *bash* — #sorrynotsorry. (via Studio DIY)
9. Spiked Strawberry Lemonade Punch: Mix up a batch of spiked strawberry lemonade to add a signature drink to your tropical soirée. Its sweet and refreshing flavor will have your guests begging you to send them the recipe STAT. (via Averie Cooks)
10. Printable Pink Flamingo Straw Decoration: You’re going to need a way to dress up that signature cocktail you just made. Print off these flamingos to give your paper straws a serious upgrade. (via Design Is Yay!)
11. Tiki Bar: Tiki bars are like the OG of tropical-themed parties. Test your DIY skills and make one for your bestie’s birthday party using wood and a coat of paint. Once you’ve finished it, you’ll have the cutest bar on the block for the rest of this season’s backyard BBQs. (Photo via Amy + Jordan Photography / Style Me Pretty)
12. Kirra Reyna Designs Printable Birthday Invitation ($15): Snail mail is always the way to go for birthday invites. Order this tropical printable and pop a few of ’em in the mail to get your friends excited for the big day.
13. Watermelon Slices on a Stick: Even though watermelon is a crowd fave when it comes to summer fruits, it’s probably the messiest one to eat. Solve your watermelon woes by adding a lollipop stick to the slice so your guests can party mess-free. (Photo via Caroline Tran / Style Me Pretty)
14. Fruit Bar: Head to the grocery store or farmers’ market and pick up some of your favorite fruits to kick your bar up a notch. Use some as decoration and chop up the rest for a healthy snack that your pals can munch on all night long. Bonus: You’ll be all stocked up on smoothie ingredients and frozen bananas after the party’s over. (Photo via Acqua / Style Me Pretty)
15. DIY Flamingo Ring Toss: Hosting a party that’ll keep the kids AND adults entertained can sometimes be tricky. Well, that is until now. DIY this flamingo ring toss game that the little kids and the
adults big kids will have a blast playing. (via Sugar + Cloth)
16. DIY Pineapple Centerpiece: If you’re stuck on how to make your tablescape festive AF, a pineapple that’s wearing sunglasses and is filled with flowers will totes do the job. Opt for pink and yellow flowers so it fits the theme *that* much better. (via Kara’s Party Ideas)
17. Tequila Sunrise Popsicles: Hosting a party in your backyard during the summertime can get a little toasty. Some pineapple juice, tequila and grenadine are all you need to make a nom-worthy treat that’s sure to cool off your friends and fam. (via Real Food by Dad)
18. DIY Photo Booth Backdrop: Throwing a party without a photo booth is basically like hosting one without the booze… it’s just not right. Make this option using crepe paper and gift wrap to give your blank wall a little oomph. (via Brit + Co)
19. Printable Tropical Photo Booth Props: Take your DIY photo booth to the next level with printable props like these. As long as you’ve got paper and a printer, you can kick your pictures up a notch in a seriously budget-friendly way. (via Oh Happy Day)
20. Printable Bingo Game: There’s nothing wrong with going old school when it comes to the games you add to your party. DL this bingo printable and customize the spaces to make it perfect for you and your besties. (via Pizzazzerie)
21. Tropical Bar Setup: It’s not a party without a bar, right? Make sure you’ve got the prettiest setup in town by adding details like a lemonade stand and paper pineapple decorations. Decking out your bar like this will definitely win you the hostess with the mostess award. (via Oh Happy Day)
22. DIY Pineapple + Flamingo Banner: Break out your trusty Cricut to make this chic banner for your BFF’s birthday party. Once you’ve got the pink flamingos and gold pineapples cut out, string them on a piece of yarn to create a banner that will leave your space looking like a Caribbean getaway. (via Giggles Galore)
23. Beaucoup Pineapple Bottle Opener ($3+): Send off your guests with a party favor they can use all summer long by picking up a set of these pineapple bottle openers. When they go to pop some bottles at *their* summer party, they’ll totally thank you for stocking them up on bar supplies.
Are you hosting a birthday party this summer? Head over to our Pinterest for more inspo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.