How you doin’ this morning? Craving something greasy? Maybe fries, a burger, or… pizza?
A simple, un-fooled-around-with cheese pizza is one of life’s simple pleasures. But, unless you are Macauley Caulkin in Home Alone, one cannot survive on plain cheese pizza alone. We’ve already shown you our best finds in pizza format foolery; now check out these pies, with their unconventional flavor profiles and their genius-level comfort food mash-ups (mac and cheese pizza, anybody?) Do your taste buds a favor and bookmark these 17 innovative pie ideas for your next pizza night. Because you have your whole life ahead of you to order pepperoni.
3. Roasted Root Vegetable Pizza: A good pizza should showcase the season’s greatest goods — and, as we draw more closely to winter, this roasted root vegetable pizza does just that. (via Martha Stewart)
4. Potato, Brussels Sprouts, and Goat Cheese Pizza: And then some genius went ahead and put some potatoes on a pizza. This pie by Heather Christo also calls for shredded Brussels sprouts and big, fat dollops of creamy goat cheese. (via Heather Christo)
5. Short Rib, Brie, Ricotta Pizza: I’m sure you’ve heard of four-cheese pizza, but this version from the folks at The Hopeless Housewife also calls for braised short ribs, taking this pretty pie to a whole new level. (via The Hopeless Housewife)
7. Beet & Hummus Flatbread with Arugula: Tomato sauce is so pedestrian. This flatbread from In Pursuit of More uses hummus instead — and to great ends! Topped also with roasted beets and fresh, peppery arugula, this vegan pizza is so full of good things, you won’t even miss the cheese. (via In Pursuit of More)
9. Butternut Squash, Sage Pesto, and Prosciutto Pizza: This inventive slice from How Sweet It Is incorporates all the best tastes of fall, including butternut squash and sage. Topped with little bites of salty prosciutto and a whole mess of crumbled goat cheese, fall has never quite tasted this good. (via How Sweet It Is)
11. Pumpkin Naan Pizza with Gruyere and Fresh Herbs: Sometimes when something is weird enough, it just works. And that is so very much the case with this pumpkin, sausage, and Gruyere naan-crust pizza. (via Climbing Grier Mountain)
12. Caramelized Butternut, Crispy Kale, and Fontina Pizza: You may already know enough to top your pies with kale and Fontina, but try this pizza, featuring a pomegranate relish, for something brand new. Caramelized butternut squash adds to the hearty fall harvest feel of this recipe. (via Half Baked Harvest)
13. Spicy Potato Pizza: This recipe combines spicy potatoes, chorizo sausage, and sharp cheddar cheese. This divine trio of toppings is sitting pretty on top of a crusty pizza dough. Why didn’t we think of that? (via Super Golden Bakes)
14. Macaroni and Cheese Pizza: Go ahead. Act like you didn’t see this one coming. If it’s always been your secret fantasy to top your pizza in not just cheese, but mac and cheese, I think it’s fair to say that today is your lucky day. (via The Gunny Sack)
15. Skillet Pizza: Tired of soggy pizza crust? We are here to solve all of your pizza crust woes! Just grab your cast-iron skillet and check out our how-to. All the crispy pizza will soon be yours. (via Brit+Co)
16. Upcycled Thanksgiving Flatbread: Still working through those piles of Thanksgiving leftovers? Or maybe you’ve recreated the feast because you didn’t get a drumstick first time ’round. Either way, we don’t judge. In fact, we enable. Exhibit A: Upcycled Thanksgiving Flatbread. (via Brit+Co)
17. Cookies and Creme Dessert Pizza: And then there was dessert pizza. Because the best thing to eat after eating pizza is, clearly, more pizza. Celebrate your pizza loyalty by skipping the cookies and the ice cream — and keeping it real with this cookies and crème creation (via Girl Versus Dough)
Pizza is its own artistic medium. How do you use it to express yourself? Leave us a note in the comments below or say hi on Twitter.