We saw a lot of fun fashion on this year’s Oscars red carpet, but the look that seemed to cause the most buzz around the web was 18-year-old Zendaya’s dreadlocks. The young performer attended the Hollywood event for the first time, sporting a half-swept up hairstyle with an off-the-shoulder dress that was all kinds of elegant.
Unfortunately, there has been some controversy surrounding her hairstyle since Sunday’s event. Giuliana Rancic, a member of E!’s Fashion Police, made a derogatory comment toward Zendaya’s locs, to which the singer sophisticatedly responded, fully defending both herself and hairstyle. Her tweet even gained public support from big names like Solange, Kerry Washington and Viola Davis.
At Brit + Co, we’re (giant) fans of all hair types, so you can bet that when the Oscars red carpet unfolded, we were stoked to see a standout look show up. If Zendaya’s confidence has inspired you to try the hairstyle, go for it! Not sure how to wear it? Here are 10 super stylish ways to rock locs.
1. Dip Dyed Dreads: Put an extra bold spin on the colorful hair trend by dip dying dreadlocks to create an on-trend, eye-catching effect. (via The Way I Breathe)
2. Ornaments: Leave your locs down and spruce them up with fun ornaments. That could mean beads, ribbon or even metalwork. The possibilities are endless. (via VK and Teacups and Tattoos)
3. Super Chunky Fishtail: In addition to all the awesome twists and bun options, you can also master the braid of the moment. (via MadeMeDreadful)
4. Pin Up Dreads: Grab a fun scarf and wrap up most of your dreads into a high bun. Leave a section out in front to twist and pin into a flirty, pin-up style bang. (via @patience_edet)
5. Yarn Covered Dreads: Instead of committing to a full head of dip-dyed dreads, wrap them in your color of choice. (via Colorful Cities)
6. Alphabet Beads: Aside from the classic dread accessories, put a fun personal touch on your hairstyle by using alphabet beads to either spell out your name or a favorite phrase. (via Tumblr)
7. Top Knot: Keep things both classic and quick by simply sweeping your locs atop your head and fastening them with a rubber band. (via Technicolor Yarn)
8. Roll and Wrap: For a quick style that you can wear to the grocery store or a wedding, give this easy, twisted ponytail a try. (via GrizzleRocsLocs)
9. Platinum Blonde: Make those locs stand out by transforming them into a beach blonde masterpiece. (via Claire Sulmers)
10. Faux Bangs: Considering cutting some bangs to go with your dreadlocks? No need to take the plunge just yet. Try out these eight fun tutorials, which show you how to create fake bangs. (via Ibyl)
Do you have dreadlocks? Show us how you style them! Tweet us a pic or send us a link in the comments below.
(Photo via Getty/Jason Merritt)