22 White Elephant Gifts for Your Roommate (That You’ll Totally Want to Steal)
Right now, you and your roommate (or mates) might be debating whether or not to have a Christmas tree for the apartment (dibs on not cleaning up those needles). In the back of your mind, though, the both of you are probably debating gifts for each other for the holidays. Sure, the kitchen needs a new tea pot, and there’s that sweater you’ve both been eyeing that you could totally get for them (then steal every other weekend), but why not go a goofier route: the best white elephant gift.
White Elephant gifts can range from crazy kooky to crazy functional (and affordable). Get a whacky kitchen gadget that you can both use (and get a kick out of), or a throwback present to bring them back to grammar school days or something they can treat themselves with while having a giggle. Here’s our guide to the best white elephant presents for your housemates.
1. Perpetual Kid Shark Bowl ($16): So you can eat every meal like it’s Shark Week.
2. Perpetual Kid Cupcake Shower Cap ($9): While most shower caps make you look like an old maid, this one will make you look Strawberry Shortcake chic.
3. Retro Transparent Telephone ($40): The dream of the ’90s is alive in this phone. It’s a perfectly rad excuse to get a land line.
4. Wyatt Little Shoe Pot ($50): Alley decoration + succulent = perfect green addition to your living room.
5. Alia Grace Dolls Rainbow Trout Lavender Eye Pillow ($36): Lucky for you, and your face, this smells nothing like fish (more on the lovely lavender end, thankfully).
6. Tees and Thank You “Merry Crustmas” Sweatshirt ($22): It’s the Kevin McCallister of sweatshirts.
7. Kikkerland Posterior Design Cat Butt Magnet Set ($13): An accurate representation of how you see your feline friends.
8. Mad Beauty Kellogg’s Cereal Lip Balm Set ($23): It’s like the milk from your fave childhood breakfast in lip balm form. Lip smackin’ delicious.
never bite you.
10. Coastermatic Donut Coasters ($45): If you don’t have a breakfast pastry to indulge in, you can at least place your coffee mug on one (not as many calories, either).
11. Gama-Go Karate Lettuce Chopper ($12): All of your salad prep will be action packed with this chopper (just don’t go too hard and break your cutting board).
12. Game of Phones ($20): This deck of cards sends your phone on a scavenger hunt. Perfect for lazy snowed in nights when your Netflix queue is maxed out.
13. Vinca USA Sloth Earrings ($16): Sloths. Hanging onto your ears. The tears are rolling down our cheeks already.
14. Uncommon Goods Toothpaste Tube Wringer ($25): For those of us who are anti-squeeze-from-the-top, this tool will help win the perpetual roommate argument.
15. Sip Caddy Bath Tub Wine Glass Holder ($14): Now you can hop in the tub and wash away the week without having to clean up broken glass (or spilled booze).
16. Nutella Recipe Book by Ferrero ($13): Find ways to enjoy your favorite cocoa hazelnut treat other than toast (or a direct-to-your-mouth spoonful).
17. Urbano Eco Trash Can ($19): Finally, you will have use for all of the plastic bags you save in your apartment.
18. Perks of Aurora “Help Me I’m Poor” Mug ($16): For mornings when you are dreaming of a Nespresso while drinking Folgers Instant.
19. NoDa Design Studio Dachshund Food Tray ($20): If your apartment won’t allow dogs, you can still party with this little guy.
20. Evriholder Slipper Genie Floor Cleaning Slippers ($5): Now there will never be an excuse for messy floors. Be comfy, stay cleanly.
21. Ryan Porter “Jeepin'” Keyring ($14): The perfect accessory for rollin’ with the homies.
Happy Feet (with a popsicle finale).