The Best Ways to Enjoy Scandinavia’s Midnight Sun This Summer
While everyone else heads to the Mediterranean this summer, why not skip the crowds (and the heat) and opt for the North Sea instead? Northern Europe is underrated in the summertime, when the balmy weather lifts the spirits of locals and visitors alike, sending them in droves to the idyllic beaches of Denmark. If you’re having difficulty visualizing a Danish beach day, you’re certainly not alone: Scandinavia is the beautiful and unexpected summer getaway many never even think to consider. From days exploring the islands of the wooded Finnish Lakeland to nights beneath the midnight sun in Stockholm, here’s why Scandinavia should be your next summer getaway.
1. Try windsurfing in the Bay of Denmark. Windsurfing on the waters off the coast of miles-long white sand beaches, walking your dog along the water, driving your car in the sand: This laid-back beach vibe may remind you more of San Diego Bay than the Bay of Denmark, but whenever the temperature rises in Jammerbugten in northern Denmark, so, too, do the California vibes at Saltum Beach. Depending on when you visit, you could catch international artists building a massive wall of sand for the Blokhus Festival of Sand Sculpture or watch fishermen haul their boats onto the shore to honor their shipwrecked ancestors.
2. Go island hopping in Sweden. Who needs the flocks of tourists and mega-yachts in the south of France when you can sail around the thousands of pristine Swedish islands in a catamaran, unfettered by crowds? Navigate the wild and underrated beauty of the North Sea and explore the wild forests and idyllic beaches that await at every turn — there are over 200,000 islands off the Swedish coast. In short, there’s always a new sight to discover.
3. Sleep on stilts in a Norwegian fisher’s cottage. Rent a rorbu, a traditional fisher’s cottage, in Norway’s Lofoten archipelago. In the summertime, the bright blue water, white beaches, and jagged mountains render the island chain reminiscent of Thailand and Hawaii in its color scheme and dramatic peaks, so don’t delay your trip and risk missing the peak season.
4. Discover the breathtaking Finnish Lakeland. Take a ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki and spend a night or two in the capital city before heading out to the wooded islands of the placid, seemingly endless Finnish Lakeland. But head there soon, while people are still debating whether Finland is a real country: You want to discover this beautiful place before the rest of the world catches on (and the rest of your friends too).
5. Chase the midnight sun in Stockholm. If you’ve been waiting for winter to travel to Scandinavia, rethink the northern lights and consider chasing the midnight sun instead. After all, who needs the northern lights when you’ve got a midnight sun that never sets and a party in the streets that never ends? Also, unlike the unpredictable northern lights, the midnight sun never stops shining. Enjoy some late-night revelry in Stockholm, where festivities go on significantly later than usual (duh).
Tweet us your favorite night-owl travel destinations @BritandCo.
(Photos via Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)