Happy Monday! Some tidbits you might have missed from the Teen Choice Awards lead this morning’s top news stories. Check out those and more in the Morning Buzz below.
1. Zendaya won a coveted surfboard for Choice Summer Movie Actress at last night’s Teen Choice Awards, and she used her acceptance speech as an inspiring call to action for her young fans. “With all the injustice and the hatred and everything that is happening not only in the world but in our country, I need for you young people to be educated,” she said, urging viewers to use their voices against injustices. “You’re the leaders. You’re the future leaders of the world. You’re future presidents. You’re future senators. You guys are the ones who will make this world better. I’m just letting you know, right now, that you are the future. So take that very seriously.” Zendaya is never one to shy away from current issues; she also spoke out against the Virginia rallies recently, and her TCA speech was no doubt influenced by what transpired in Charlottesville over the weekend. Get it, Zendaya. (h/t Glamour; photo via Kevin Winter/Getty)
2. Chris Pratt made his first public appearance since his split from Anna Faris. Last night, Pratt stepped back into the spotlight for the first time since he and Faris announced their separation, both presenting an award and winning one for Choice Movie Actor: Sci-Fi. Pratt was his usual jokey self, saying he told a lot of lies to get to where he is today, then gave thanks to his “Lord and savior Jesus Christ” for his career to date. As People pointed out, he was not wearing his wedding ring. Sigh. [h/t People]
3. Riverdale‘s Betty and Jughead won a Teen Choice Award, and Bughead shippers are loving it. Riverdale took home a whopping SEVEN TCAs last night, including the Choice TV Ship surfboard. Lili Reinhart and Cole Sprouse, AKA the show’s Betty and Jughead, AKA Bughead, were the shipped pair of choice. Fans LOVED the win — especially since there are reports that they’re an IRL couple. One Bughead shipper said that “they represent a real relationship where its not always easy but you fight for it and each other.” AWW. (Photo via Mike Coppola/Getty)
4. Justin Bieber allegedly tried to pick up a girl from a gym’s Instagram account and got SHUT DOWN. Bieber must have a lot of free time since he canceled his Purpose tour, because he recently somehow found himself on the Instagram page for a Savannah, Georgia gym called Fitness on Broughton. Jessica Gober claims he DMed the gym about a picture of her on the account. “Did this actually just happen… lmao,” she tweeted. “Justin Bieber just messaged the gym that I work at and asked who I was hahahaha WTF.” Gober is, however, happily in a relationship, and tactfully (and publicly!) declined, tweeting a series of pics with her boyfriend and writing, “I’ve got everything I need right here <3.” Sorry, Biebs. (h/t Mashable)
5. Shonda Rhimes will make all of her new shows for Netflix instead of ABC. Rhimes’ production company Shondaland just signed a multi-year deal to produce new shows for Netflix, a huge move away from ABC. Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, How to Get Away With Murder, and the Grey’s spinoff will stay on ABC, but Rhimes did tell the Wall Street Journal that not having to play by “the necessary grind of network television” was something she looks forward to. The options feel endless — we can’t wait to see what she comes up with. (h/t Buzzfeed; photo via Paul Zimmerman/Getty Images For EMILY’s List)
6. Quote of the day: “The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.” — Vidal Sassoon
What’s your #MondayMotivation today? Let us know @BritandCo!