We’ll admit a good ‘ol panna cotta is pretty delicious. Rich, creamy and surprisingly easy to make — what’s not to like? Well, we’re giving it a unique spin to celebrate that time-honored holiday, Animal Cracker Day. This recipe features a v. intriguing ingredient: animal cracker milk (stay with us here). Once you go animal, you won’t go back. If you’re super into animals, these would also be a good addition to an animal-inspired wedding (yeah, that’s a thing). Read on to get the full, scrumptious recipe.
Ingredients: (makes 4 servings)
— 2 boxes animal crackers
— 2 cups whole milk
— 3 teaspoons powdered gelatin (about 1 1/2 packets)
— 1/3 cup sugar
— 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
— 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Crumble your animal crackers in a sealed plastic bag using a rolling pin. Set some crumbles aside for topping.
2. Pour the milk into a large bowl, then add the animal cracker crumbs. Let steep for about an hour.
3. Strain the milk and put it into a saucepan.
4. Lightly sprinkle the gelatin over the top. Let it bloom for 5 minutes, until the top of the milk is wrinkly.
5. Gently heat the milk, making sure NOT to boil. Lightly stir to make the gelatin dissolve.
6. After the gelatin dissolves, slowly stir in the sugar. Continue to heat until the sugar dissolves.
7. Remove from heat and add in cream, vanilla and a pinch of salt.
8. Chill in the fridge for 2-4 hours, or until the panna cotta is solid.
9. Crumble the rest of the animal crackers on top. We also added a bit of espresso on top to complement the creaminess of the panna cotta. It goes together perfectly!
When you’re crumbling the cookies, it doesn’t have to be too fine. Just enough to get that animal cracker flavor into the milk.
Mmmm…. Just like cereal milk!
Heating the milk is the most important part, so make sure to pay careful attention. Can’t let that milk boil!
Once the cream is in, add it to cups, ramekins or jars — whatever you plan to serve it in!
The hardest part is waiting ;)
Crumble the rest of the animal crackers on top. We also added a bit of espresso on top to complement the creaminess of the panna cotta. It goes together perfectly!
Ta-da! Scrumptious panna cotta with a playful twist.
Show us your animal cracker creations on Instagram using the hashtag #iamcreative!