Now there’s something new to add to the weird ways people are using lipstick in their beauty routines. Forget swiping the pigmented sticks on your lips to make them pop: First, red lipstick was used as a way to cover up your dark circles — yep, applying lipstick underneath your eyes to color correct, then layering on concealer. Now, there’s a new technique called chroming that uses shimmery lipstick across your lids, temples and cheekbones to give you a beach-y glow. Created by makeup brand MAC’s Senior Artist, Dominic Skinner, chroming is set up to be the new strobing, but really, it’s just a clever way to hack it: get radiant skin using a ’90s-inspired lipstick you already have, versus shoveling out for traditional highlighter.
While we might have raised our eyebrows at the idea of using a lip product all over your face, you can’t argue that the effects are rather stunning. The frosted champagne shimmer of the lipstick created a natural highlight and flush of color that looks stunning. Suffice it to say, we’re officially hopping on the chroming bandwagon. Scroll on for our eight product picks that’ll help you achieve this luminous look for yourself. (Photo via @dominic_mua)
1. MAC x Mariah Carey Lipstick in All I Want ($17): The one that started it all. This collaboration between MAC and Mariah Carey is a frosty, shimmer-y champagne pigment that helped begin the chroming trend once and for all. The flattering shade looks fab on any skin tone, making this a solid choice for trying the trend out for yourself.
2. Kjaer Weis Lip Tint in Captivate ($49): This shimmering, all-natural pigment would be a stunning way to try out the chroming effect for darker skin tones. The versatile nude has an iridescent gold finish, which catches the light just right to highlight your already gorgeous features.
3. Revlon Super Lustrous Pearl Lipstick in Champagne on Ice ($5): While this one might look a little pink, once applied it leaves behind a gorgeous champagne shimmer that simply can’t be beat. Add it to your cheekbones, underneath your brows or wherever you want a bit of added highlight and flush of color.
4. Bobbi Brown Shimmer Lip Color in Being Gold ($27): Give your complexion a wash of liquid gold with this bright ‘n’ shiny formula. Originally meant to give your pout a metallic overlay, it should come as no surprise that the color works wonderfully doubling as a chrome-worthy face highlight.
5. RMS Beauty Master Mixer ($38): Okay, so it’s not exactly a lipstick, but this little pot holds a creamy formula that might be the biggest multi-tasker of all time. It can add a sheer wash of rose gold to any part of your face, but we’re partial to the gorgeous highlight it lends to your cheekbones.
6. Lipstick Queen in Ice Queen ($24): While this one might not give you so much in the pigment department, its formula more than makes up for it with plenty of sparkle to help you get your highlight on. With flecks of silver and gold, this sheer lip shade is sure to give your face a luminous finish.
7. Maybelline New York Colorsensational Pearls Lipcolor in Champagne Shimmer ($5): This gorgeous and affordable lipstick can be used as quite the multi-tasker. Blend a few dabs onto the high points of your face to complete the chroming effect, and then swipe a bit on your lips for some added color and shine.
8. Dior Rouge Dior Baume in Star ($35): Dry complexions will find this formula especially beneficial, as the hydrating balm will bring out your cheekbones without emphasizing dry patches. The sheer tint of color, along with plenty of sparkle, makes this a truly luxe option for trying out the chrome trend.
Would you try chroming? Show us how you’d rock the trend by tagging us on Instagram + using #chroming!
(Photo via @dominic_mua)