When it comes to matters of style, fall can be tricky to navigate. It’s a season with many phases, each one coming with slightly different sartorial requirements. And while you could totally get away with wearing a barely there slip dress and t-shirt combo back at the beginning of September, you’re going to need more heavy-duty fall basics to get you through the rest of the season in style. We took it upon ourselves to curate a list of covetable fall jackets, accessories and maxi dresses that will up the ante on your wardrobe stat.
1. & Other Stories Floral Lace Blouse ($85): Plain white tees and button-downs are classic, but they don’t have anything on this dreamy lace number. Coupled with a velvet blazer and pointed-toe boots for your next GNO, it’s guaranteed to keep the cold weather blues at bay — and turn a few heads in the process.
2. ASOS Oversized Fluffy Scarf In Color Block ($30): Step aside, silk scarves — you’ve had your 15 minutes of sartorial fame. Dropping temps call for neckwear with a little more oomph, and this snuggly blanket scarf more than delivers. The perfect partner to a suede jacket and skinny jeans, it’ll take you straight through to spring in style.
3. Zara Embroidered Velvet Culottes ($129): Embroidered denim is hot this season, but these velvet culottes are straight-up fire. Whether you team ’em with a ladylike blouse and burgundy suede pumps for the office or toss them on with a come-hither cami and glam drop earrings, the result will be stunning every single time.
4. Reformation Hanley Bodysuit ($78): Bodysuits aren’t going anywhere for fall and winter, but you might want to upgrade your slinky, barely there suit with a long-sleeved style that will keep you warm and cozy as you dish with your girls over mimosas or run errands around town. For a flirty date night look that exudes modern-day Audrey Hepburn elegance, pair with a metallic pleated skirt, embellished block heels and a playful topknot.
5. Candela Floral Burnout Velvet Booties ($228): There’s something to be said for versatility, sure, but every girl *needs* at least one pair of statement-making steppers that will make any outfit look like a million bucks. Enter the embroidered booties that have street style bait written all over them. The velvet florals and burgundy base aren’t just right on point with Pantone’s must-have fall colors — their contrast is key to turning up the heat on basics like tees and jeans.
6. Zara Suede Effect and Fleecy Jacket ($149): What you wear on top is just as important as what lies beneath. Your go-to denim jacket isn’t going to cut it all season long, but luckily this faux suede-and-shearling stunner is ready to step in and step it up. Worn with boyfriend jeans and lace-up flats, it makes the ultimate addition to your off-duty uniform. Don’t-care hair and badass beanies are highly encouraged.
7. & Other Stories Origami Bow Dress ($125): While you can still continue to play the layering game with your favorite summer frocks, a flawless maxi is essential for days that call for one-and-done dressing. Living up to its throw-on-and-go promise, this number’s playful origami print brings enough panache to the table to allow you to go accessories-free – with the exception of a killer cross-body bag, that is.
8. Mango Metal Pendant Earrings ($16): Allow the change in climate to inspire your add-ons this season by embracing fall’s more pared-down approach to style with these sleek geometric pendants. The mismatched styling will lend any look a runway-ready edge — all you need now are a pair of pointed-toe pumps and a belted oversized blazer to knock your desk-to-drinks getup out of the park.
9. Free People Embellished Band Jacket ($198): Channel your best Anna Della Russo a la Milan Fashion Week by teaming this military-issue outer layer with distressed denim and sleek heels for a look that reads ready for the front row. For extra style cred, DO pop on a pretty Victorian-inspired blouse that will add a note of old-world elegance and sophistication to your off-the-clock look.
10. Zara Faux Leather Pencil Skirt ($40): Upgrading your on-the-job capsule wardrobe is as easy as adding this leather-look beauty to the mix. Score serious points with HR by pairing it with a rib knit sweater, chic ankle boots and a collar necklace for a getup that balances personality and polish like a boss.
11. Whistles Tie Side Rib Sweater ($230): Hit refresh on your portfolio of knitwear this season with this tie-front turtleneck that defines chic. Putting your tried-and-true v-necks and cardigans to shame, it looks ah-mazing any way you wear it — though we’re partial to jacquard trousers and bow-embellished loafers.
12. Mango Belt Long Jumpsuit ($100): Champagne brunches, elegant receptions and a good ol’ GNO — this suedette show stopper was made to partay. The only thing missing? A dramatic pout, lucite clutch and shimmery heels.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.