10 Memoirs by Women You Need to Know
Like all years, 2016 was a year of women sharing their stories, but especially when it comes to inspiring memoirs. We rounded up 10 autobiographical books penned by incredible women. Whether you add them to your book wish list for the holidays or treat yourself right now, we’re positive you’ll devour these must-read adult books.
1. In the Game by Peggy Garrity ($17): Her family raised her as a traditional and devout Irish-Catholic girl in the Midwest, but fate had another plan in the works for Peggy Garrity. This stunning tale details Garrity’s steep climb from convent-bound single mom to one of LA’s most celebrated solo trial lawyers. If you’re looking for a dose of lady power, this is it.
2. Pieces of Me by Lizbeth Meredith ($12): What does a mother do when her daughters are kidnapped and taken to another country by their biological father? She fights for them — hard. Pieces of Me is the brave journey of one mother facing her worst nightmare and overcoming geographical, political and legal odds to get her children back. For all you mothers out there, this is your new battle cry.
3. Settle for More by Megyn Kelly ($18): One of the most important journalists covering this year’s tumultuous presidential election, Kelly isn’t afraid to divulge the racy truth — even when it speaks out against the president-elect himself. A news anchor who lives and breathes transparency delivers an adrenaline-inducing memoir that will be a go-to winter reading choice for feminists, journalists and women around the nation.
4. My Story by Jo Malone ($19): Internationally beloved fragrance mogul Jo Malone shares her inspiring journey from modest beginnings to launching her now wildly successful business. As it shows how Malone overcame obstacles such as dropping out of school and battled confidence-crippling dyslexia, this unlikely success story will fuel any dreamer.
5. How to Murder Your Life by Cat Marnell ($16): A top fashion magazine job, access to NYC’s hottest nightclubs and a glamorous Manhattan lifestyle — you could say that Marnell seemingly had it all. In this soul-riveting new memoir, she divulges the true details of her life behind the shiny facade: prescription pill addiction, the wrath of bulimia and endless self-sabotage. How to Murder Your Life paints a vibrant portrait of addiction and the dark shades of consequences that come along with it.
6. My Own Words by Ruth Bader Ginsburg ($19): A powerful glimpse into one of the United States’ most influential women, In My Own Words details the monumental personal and professional achievements of one of the greatest defenders of the Constitution: America’s very own Notorious RBG. From the inner workings of the Supreme Court to the cases that shaped her life and the nation, Ginsburg’s memoir is one that every American should have on their bookshelf.
7. Lovie by Lisa Yarger ($30): Over the course of her career, veteran midwife Lovie Beard Shelton delivered around 4,000 babies to women who couldn’t afford the high cost of hospital care — and trust us, you’ll want to read all about it. An emotional cocktail of the history of midwifery, personal loss and following your calling, Lovie will have every reader embracing their passions the second they’ve finished the last page.
8. Tea and Talk by Alice Taylor ($14): This memoir is reading soul food for anyone who enjoys good company, fuzzy feelings and (you guessed it) a hot cup of tea. Through stunning photographs and lovely insights, Alice Taylor takes you inside her cozy home and transports you into the lifestyle of a rural Irish village. Warning: After finishing this one, we started packing our bags and practicing our accent.
9. Poor Your Soul by Mira Ptacin ($12): When Ptacin discovers she’s pregnant at the age of 28, the unexpected addition to the family brings the expectant mother nothing but joy… until the doctor reveals the baby has multiple grave defects. Forced with the decision to terminate her pregnancy or wait out the inevitable miscarriage, Mira finds strength from her own mother, who lived through the same unthinkable tragedy.
10. Cheer Up Love by Susan Calman ($18): Funny people often harbor the deepest of emotional complexities, and there is no better proof than UK comedic queen Susan Calman. The master of laughs takes a deep dive into analyzing her life alongside her deep-rooted depression, offering a refreshing perspective on how to embrace it and enjoy life — even through bouts of cynicism.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Featured photo via Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)